[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

OK, I figured it out: all the robotic parts in this pack have category=None in their .cfg

So I manually fixed all of them and now they show up.

That is intentional, as otherwise you'd end up with the parts in both the Utility and Robotics tab if your install was working correctly.

But the GUI is still the stock IF interface. Any ideas?
The only known issue is a conflict with Filter Extensions. If you have that mod installed they posted a hotfix recently to address this issue.

Anyway, this is now an issue related to the official release of Infernal Robotics (here) rather than this parts pack.

Zodius, one question:

Will your utility expansion for model rework works ok without toadicusTools / tweakableEverything?

btw I don't know whether you noticed my reply to KVV issue:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-%28Updated-16-04-2015%29?p=1842094&viewfull=1#post1842094

can you please add wheelalignment from firespitter so i can use it like so:

im sure others will want this

With a MM patch with :NEEDS[Firespitter] it can be added to the parts without depending on the firespitter dll. So the pack would support firespitter but not distribute the dll.

I just thought of something after watching a video, thinking of my own recent game experience, and a Wikipedia article...

So, I love the landing legs in the Utility pack. They LOOK awesome... unfortunately, the craft I tried them out on didn't seem fit for them. Think it was a BIT too heavy for just four legs. That, and uneven ground didn't help matters. There was TONS of sheering forces when I tried landing on the Mun. (I failed that landing, FYI. I tried taking off to find a better spot and clipped the legs on the ground. Tumbled and couldn't stabilize. Crashed.)

Watching someone landing a skycrane design, I realized: We have no shock absorbers/dampeners! Well, standalone ones. Landing legs and gears have them. With the Utilitron landing feet, I think they need some shock absorbers to go with them. I think I bounced decently, even though I was using MechJeb's auto-landing pilot. The feet were attached to rework pistons. So I think they were a bit too rigid and couldn't absorb the last 0.5m/s impact velocity.

Would standalone shock absorbers even be feasible? (Though there is 1.0 coming out soon...)

Hi, After playing with the pack I think it's great and ZodiusInfuser's new parts are really great :D

The only thing that's missing is you can' set rotational limits on 'Uncontrolled' parts. I understand they have no servos but they could still have hard stops they won't rorate past. I've been trying to develop a 'rocker bogie' type set-up ala MSL Curiosity and found that unlimited uncontrolled joints work ookay until something unbalances the rig then they spin out of control and things go wrong. It'd be nice to be able to limit their movement but they be free to move anywhere in that limited range. I think that'd make the parts even more useful and versatile :)

Oh, wow, lots of questions

Will your utility expansion for model rework works ok without toadicusTools / tweakableEverything?

Absolutely! Those are used to add extra staging features to the RoboStrut Lite and Pros. They're mainly added for convenience as the full mod has many more DLLs than IR needs.

I saw it but haven't had chance to look into the issue yet or discuss it with that mods creator

--------------------------------------------------

This looks ABSOLUTELY amazing! The video was fantastic, congrats, man.

Thanks! It was the best way I could think of generating hype for the Model Rework as well as Infernal Robotics in genera.

Is it possible to get just the robotics parts and not the trusses, struts etc.?

There is no separate download without the structural parts, but you can easily delete them from the following folders:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Rework_Core\Probe\Structural
Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Rework_Expansion\Probe\Structural
Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Rework_Utility\Probe\Struts

If you get rid of the struts you'll also need to remove the following, unless they were installed by another mod:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CIT
Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ToadicusTools
Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TweakableEverything

can you please add wheelalignment from firespitter so i can use it like so:

http://i.imgur.com/Gn1ioxV.jpg

im sure others will want this

After seeing it I'm honestly not sure about adding this feature. It feels quite intrusive to me, and in all my testing it's really not that hard to get wheels to align using the new position text field and presets.

Would standalone shock absorbers even be feasible? (Though there is 1.0 coming out soon...)

I've looked into this before, and since the part is essentially 4 landing legs in 1 part, which from what I understand Stock KSP does not support. It is certainly an ability I'd want to add in the future though, once a suitable plugin exists.

The only thing that's missing is you can' set rotational limits on 'Uncontrolled' parts. I understand they have no servos but they could still have hard stops they won't rorate past. I've been trying to develop a 'rocker bogie' type set-up ala MSL Curiosity and found that unlimited uncontrolled joints work ookay until something unbalances the rig then they spin out of control and things go wrong. It'd be nice to be able to limit their movement but they be free to move anywhere in that limited range. I think that'd make the parts even more useful and versatile :)

Unfortunately having limits on uncontrolled parts is not possible (a plugin limitation). If that ever gets resolved then I'd happily add the settings to my uncontrolled parts.

After seeing it I'm honestly not sure about adding this feature. It feels quite intrusive to me, and in all my testing it's really not that hard to get wheels to align using the new position text field and presets.

i couldn't eyeball the needed changes and using symmetrical angles was not the correct solution, after using the FS alignment module to fix my wheels and disabling torque my rover no longer drifts. i hope you can see how helpful this is.

btw that ss was before i zeroed out the angle indicators none of the final angles were symmetrical

Edited by endl

i couldn't eyeball the needed changes and using symmetrical angles was not the correct solution, after using the FS alignment module to fix my wheels and disabling torque my rover no longer drifts. i hope you can see how helpful this is.

btw that ss was before i zeroed out the angle indicators none of the final angles were symmetrical

Can you send me the MM config you're using to add that functionality to the craft? I'm willing to test it out on my install, but at this point I'm more inclined to go down the optional MM config that Pellinor suggested than integrate it fully onto the wheels.

Core and Expansion Packs updated to KSP 1.0!

Changes:

[LIST]
[*]Fixed attachment node problems introduced by KSP 1.0
[*]Reduced part temperature tolerance to match that of stock parts
[*]Updated the positions of parts in the new tech tree
[/LIST]

You'll need to wait for a 1.0 compatible version of Infernal Robotics to use them (which should be appearing soon). The Utility Pack is still at 0.90 due to it's dependencies on Kerbal Attachment System, IR Surface Sampler, Active Struts and Tweakable Everything. The only parts this affects are the RoboStruts and the Utilitron Sampler, Grasper and Grabber. Movatrons should continue to work fine.

I've looked into this before, and since the part is essentially 4 landing legs in 1 part, which from what I understand Stock KSP does not support. It is certainly an ability I'd want to add in the future though, once a suitable plugin exists.

Then do you know if "landing legs" can be made with an attachment node on the bottom of the foot to attach your Utilitron foot? This sorta what I meant when I said "standalone" shock struts/absorbers.

And I forgot to ask earlier: Have you considered making a rework version of the legacy adjustable rail? (Maybe in planning/to-do list already?)

Then do you know if "landing legs" can be made with an attachment node on the bottom of the foot to attach your Utilitron foot? This sorta what I meant when I said "standalone" shock struts/absorbers.

Stock landing legs would need to have code from Infernal Robotics to allow for any attached parts to move as the leg compresses. I'd rather add the ability for four landing legs per foot than that approach.

And I forgot to ask earlier: Have you considered making a rework version of the legacy adjustable rail? (Maybe in planning/to-do list already?)

I have considered it, but I want to get reworked gantries out first as I'm not sure how necessary it will be once they're released.

I just tried the Infernal Robotics Rework in 1.0, seeing IR got updated really quick.

So far I am liking the highly detailed parts, and the general ease of use of Rotatrons and joints....

Actually, I loved it so much I made a mega rover...

That's a very inventive rover you've got there. Great use for the rework actuators and structural parts too :D

the Adaptron - Basic model seems to be not rotating correctly.

It works fine on my install, both in-editor and in-flight. Could you provide more details please?

Sorry, it works perfectly. I attached the Adaptron - Basic's mini side to other surface. Now I understood the meaning of the orange axis!

I'm preparing to record a intro in Chinese when your unity pack is ready for 1.0. Thank you for your work, including continuing the development of Active-Struts!

This is the wrong place to post this issue. Should be posted over in the Infernal Robotics release thread. Also this has been fixed with the latest 0.21.1 hotfix.

nope, you can delete it and it will save you fair amount of RAM

Thanks. Will do that as soon as ATM (active texture management ) is done squeezing my texture files down to size. I do it in stages of 5 mods so the waiting does not take horendously long.

- - - Updated - - -

ooh, just so you are aware, my KSP AVC claims that the current version of Infernal robotics is designed for 23.5. I do not know why, but thought you should have a heads up.

- - - Updated - - -

and I seem to have a texture problem iwth your mod. I will be posting a screenshot that shows what I mean

http://imgur.com/a/BLQYy <-- link

Even though there are no textures, the mechanics still work. Eg, the rotatortron will still rotate the parachute cone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.