Highest mountain on EVE

Does anybody knows the coordinates of some of the highest mountains on EVE ?

I got a 8000DV lander on orbit and I am afraid I need to land on one of the highest mountains to be able to lift off for return.

Thank you

It's not easy to land on precise coordinates unless you've got MechJeb. Atmosphere is in the way.

I don't think you'll succeed with this, even if you land on the tallest point. You need more dV. Always go above minimum recommended.

Yes, you need more parachutes. Gravity field is stronger on Eve. There's a calculator for it somewhere online.

Yes I got MechJeb, but I rely on parachutes for Landing and I just got a reserve of 800DV for braking....

What I am wondering is the weight and DV remaining on landing of the ships that succeed lifting off from EVE after landing

Mine is 146 T for 8000DV, it is very difficult to optimize minimum weight for maximum DV...

My advice is to have a rescue ship orbiting Eve, a fast ship which you can quickly shift to and rescue the Kerbals before they sink back into atmosphere.

I tried to save my Kerbals from a mountain (more than 4 km IIRC) and had around 11,000 m/s dV, but I gave up for now. Too much parts. If I lower terrain detail, stranded crew sinks into terrain, lander clipping occurs and all goes to hell. Increase the details, your framerate drops down to unplayable.

Yes, you need more parachutes. Gravity field is stronger on Eve. There's a calculator for it somewhere online.

I don't think more parachutes than on Kerbin are needed on Eve. Gravity is stronger but atmosphere is thicker.

You definitely need two times more landing legs, though.

I don't think more parachutes than on Kerbin are needed on Eve. Gravity is stronger but atmosphere is thicker.

You definitely need two times more landing legs, though.

More landing legs are a must, I agree, but from my experience, more parachutes are needed, too, unless you've got fuel to spare. Although the atmosphere is very thick, the gravity wins. It's strong enough so that your ship really can accelerate enough to smash the landing legs. I tested my lander on Kerbin and it did not work, so I had to scrap the mission and start again, adding more parachutes.

According to my experience, the kick of chutes opening is about the same, regardless of speed difference.

Drogues are highly recommended both on Eve and on Kerbin.

Each half-open drogue has about the same drag as four half-open chutes.

And each fully open drogue has about the same drag as 100 half-open chutes.

And for Eve landers, it's a good idea to have all chutes and all landing legs on decouplers. Because a bit more mass on way down does not play a big role, but it plays a big role that you don't then have to carry them back up.

And for Eve landers, it's a good idea to have all chutes and all landing legs on decouplers. Because a bit more mass on way down does not play a big role, but it plays a big role that you don't then have to carry them back up.

Thank you! I've been preparing for an Eve round trip for the past couple days and I overlooked this detail.

landing at the highest point of Eve you will need only cca 85 % of the chutes needed at 0 elevation on Kerbin. If you want to land at the same speed. But you don't want to land a 100+ ton ship in 1.7 g gravity at the same speed. And to halve the speed you need to quadruple the number of parachutes. My 161 ton lander got 6.6 ton worth of parachutes, 18 x XL 2 drogues 8 radials, and still needed to make a powered landing because at 6.4 m unpowered descent speed it would break legs and fall apart. If I wanted to land safely on chutes only it would need the double amount.

Edited by MBobrik

Here is my ship I landed on EVE, not exactly on the higher mountain because at the very end of my braking, the rock tank with its mainsail engine(the lower stage), broke and exploded, breaking 3 tanks and engine on my lander.

But I succeed in landing with parachutes, my calculation were not so bad, 6m/s, same as my try on Kerbin, and i help braking with the engines on the last 50meters to touch a 3m/s.

Unfortunately, due to this accident I landed at 4000m, my lander missed 3 tanks and engines and it is now dissymmetrical, I burnt somme DV and lost others with my lost tanks, so I will stay here.....

On this picture you can see the missing part on the right side

oh5z.png

Here is my ship I landed on EVE, not exactly on the higher mountain because at the very end of my braking, the rock tank with its mainsail engine(the lower stage), broke and exploded, breaking 3 tanks and engine on my lander.

But I succeed in landing with parachutes, my calculation were not so bad, 6m/s, same as my try on Kerbin, and i help braking with the engines on the last 50meters to touch a 3m/s.

Unfortunately, due to this accident I landed at 4000m, my lander missed 3 tanks and engines and it is now dissymmetrical, I burnt somme DV and lost others with my lost tanks, so I will stay here.....

On this picture you can see the missing part on the right side

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/976/oh5z.png

Are these the stock legs?

Relatively simple lander that can land and take off from any height on Eve. Looks complicated only because I wanted to reduce amount of debris left on the surface so instead of each landing leg and each chute having its decoupler, there are just two pieces holding everything that stays on the surface. The ascent part is simple.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.