Wobbly rockets - Now 1.09 - 2 metre parts, verniers, payload fairings, MUCH more

Sunday Punch

YES. This is what I was waiting for. Proper 3m shroud, improved strength in parts, and Saturn V fuel tanks.

One request I'd make is to make a variant of the 3m fuel tanks and the 1/3 size 1m fuel tanks so that they're white. Or just make black and white and flat white versions of everything so that we can make our own mimic of the Saturn V. If you look at pics of it where the bottom most 3m fuel tank would be would have black and white on it while a tank above it would be flat white. The decoupler would also be black and white and so on etc etc.

Having a variety of textures on these pieces, such as black&White Nasa style, flat white, orange, grey would make it so that not only can we make sick rockets that look like something from the 60s but we can also make ours look unique despite having very similar builds which usually relegate you to a the same colour scheme.

I understand its a lot of work but I am a big fan of your parts. Until theres a moon these are my favourite things to play with.

Nice update!

Have a suggestion also-

a 1m engine with 2 of your medium K2-X engines side by side, to make it like a early Titan rocket

maybe 2 versions, offset 90* from each other to the rockets can be oriented left-right or front-back.

ETA- bwahaha- command module on top of a 3m tank with a single M50 under it at 2/3 throttle. fuel runs out at 36km, and it coasts well over 100km

Thanks to your pack and some tinkering of my own I am one step closer to a Saturn V. I'm surprised I got it off the ground without coming apart.

eSxGQ.jpg

I'm loving your parts.

There's no decoupler shroud that fits the medium LRE in the new update

Yes there is, use the QS-91.

Mogadishu what are you trying to say exactly? Each decoupler shroud has multiple attach nodes so it fits more than one engine. Otherwise you'd need one shroud for each engine which would make the component panel in the VAB very cluttered.

Maybe if the first stage engines was just a model with thirty nozzles, and just acted as a single liquid engine; that might work as a stopgap for someone who really wants an N1.

I'm still loving these, especially the shroud decouplers. Have you given any thought to making a 1m to 3m shroud? Also, have you seen this pack, with some 2m parts? If we can get a 2m to 3m shroud decouper, say hello to the Saturn V!

Though with some great big orange bits down the bottom. I would love me some white retextures of your orange fuel tanks.

These new parts are over powered :-X.

I just snapped 4 medium sized fuel rockets and 4 long tanks (1.08) to my commandpod/SAS and it allowed me to reach escape velocity EASILY (4500m/s) straight up.

This 11 part rocket goes faster and further than my 10-stage rocket from the default KSP ::)

These new parts are over powered :-X.

I just snapped 4 medium sized fuel rockets and 4 long tanks (1.08) to my commandpod/SAS and it allowed me to reach escape velocity EASILY (4500m/s) straight up.

This 11 part rocket goes faster and further than my 10-stage rocket from the default KSP ::)

That's probably because a 10 stage rocket is a really inefficient way to reach escape velocity. Try building a small rocket with stock parts, maybe 3 fuel tanks and a LFE and you'll have an easier time reaching orbit than with a huge monster of a rocket. It's the same with my parts, smaller is often better. I really don't think they're overpowered, especially since they're all pretty closely modeled on the stats of the stock parts. The long fuel tanks are virtually identical to 2 stock fuel tanks in function for example.

True, however the medium fuel engine is WAY more powerful than the normal once. Also the new big fuel engine is way less powerful than the normal one. With powerful I mean it reaches way higher speeds/altitude with the powering the same rocket

Smaller engines are more efficient but have lower thrust. They're a better choice if your rocket is light enough to lift, but efficiency won't do you any good if your rocket can't get off the pad. Heavier rockets will need the more powerful, less efficient engines.

I suspect the reason high thrust rockets are not really a very good choice is the extreme thickness of the Kerbal atmosphere at low altitude. Even extremely high levels of thrust won't get you moving very much faster than a much less powerful rocket, most of the energy is just bled off by drag. The aerodynamics of KSP are quite strange indeed, just witness the wall you run into if your orbit dips below 35km.

What are those huge engines on the bottom? :o

Just a scaled up version of a 1.6m engine I'm working on(Note its sitting atop the single 3m tank stage), I'm using it to test extremely heavy lift scenarios in KSP, so far it's not looking so good due to the engines randomly detonating when enough weights put atop them. The Tri Couplers made the x layout of the 3m tanks possible though.

Just made the longest stable rocket before those large fuel tank was more durable.

longest_stable_rocket.jpg

8 of them stacked together with two small solid booster on each to thrust-support its weight as a starting point at lift off.

Once all of those small boosters ran out, the rocket got enough velocity to fly out with its own main liquid booster; as gravity grew thin from that point than starting from the ground.

Since now those fuel tank are more durable, I can add more. >:)

In case you're wondering, I put a decoupler on the bottom to keep rocket's weight from crunching and damaging the main booster. It comes off at first stage when all of the small boosters goes off.

screenshot5tl.png

So I made a Saturn V.

It still has some issues - like I had to use the 3m liquids for the S-II because the 3m shroud decoupler wouldn't work with five engines - or the S-IVB and CSM being dummies, without even decouplers, or that large bits of it are - at least for making a Saturn V - orange.

But goddamnit, I did it!

Everytime I try to build one of these big stacks with the big tanks, the things breaks apart immidiately after it gets accelerated. Are there maybe some collision issues, or why are these tanks (resp. the connection between them) so fragile?