How to attatch large boosters onto my vessel?

Im trying to attacth 2.5 m solid boosters onto my rocket. The Radial decouplers either dont hold them on and they fly off or they dont decouple.

Any way to make them work? Mods?

Trying to avoid the slaped together look with lots of struts and go for a more "real" look so not intrested in crazy ideas.

Edited by crazyewok

Bad news - Kerbal is not realistic. Or - the unity engine is not. So, mods (thre is one to make connections stronger) and Struts ARE the "real" way. Duct tape has not been implemented yet ;)

How you want to play is up to YOU. But id rather design rockets that have some sembalence to reality.

And I dont have a problem with mods in fact i asked for them.

And I sort of got it working I think.

Struts aren't wires or cables, they're solid bars to hold things at a fixed width, not unlike the diagonal bracings on the girder sections. I can understand you wanting to have rockets that look realistic - I've gone to great lengths in recreating the form and function of the Apollo vehicles, as well as a Soyuz/Vostok style pod and rocket and a NASA Space Shuttle (no boosters on the tanks here).

Past a certain point, tho, you're only hurting your own progress. In KSP, like any RL space agency, you have to work within certain tolerances for force exerted on a part, and as in real life the only way to increase the tolerance is to use stronger parts or a more complex arrangement of attachment. Radial decouplers are floppy, weakly-bonded things that are barely good enough to hold a SRB relatively straight, let alone Jumbo tanks with Mainsails on the bottom.

Take my advice, experiment with ways to conceal your extra attachments. Struts are a fundamental necessity for anything beyond Kerbin's moons, and incredibly helpful for more local missions too.

S

Take my advice, experiment with ways to conceal your extra attachments. Struts are a fundamental necessity for anything beyond Kerbin's moons, and incredibly helpful for more local missions too.

I think I have. I seem to have some hidden struts that are holding well.

Im trying to attacth 2.5 m solid boosters onto my rocket. The Radial decouplers either dont hold them on and they fly off or they dont decouple.

Trying to avoid the slaped together look with lots of struts and go for a more "real" look so not intrested in crazy ideas.

The 2.5M SRB require struts to keep them from flying off. Not a lot, just place them to brace against the stress of flight.

1Bsfv67.jpg

Best way I find of hiding struts in this case is to make them very small. You want to mount two, one at the top and bottom of each booster. You also want to make them go across the smallest gap between center core and booster. I sadly have no good pictures of this.

The end result is barely noticeable and does wonders.

Your other option is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement by Ferram4. DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how well it helps with radial attachments, but I can attest to it's effectiveness in stack mounting.

Best way I find of hiding struts in this case is to make them very small. You want to mount two, one at the top and bottom of each booster. You also want to make them go across the smallest gap between center core and booster. I sadly have no good pictures of this.

The end result is barely noticeable and does wonders.

Your other option is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement by Ferram4. DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how well it helps with radial attachments, but I can attest to it's effectiveness in stack mounting.

I have the mod and it didnt help.

But I worked out the strut trick you adviced about a hour and a half ago and now I have a very capable heavy lifter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.