Something I was thinking about.

Geo793

I got bored in American Lit class today and I started to think about random thoughts, when I started think about the multi-universe theory and travel in between these universes if they existed when I realized something. If one is able to travel between universes, could that mean that one would violate one of the biggest laws of physics, the Law of Conservation?

To picture this clearly, lets imagine a person (lets name him Bob) makes a machine able to transport him from our universe, Universe A, to a similar neighboring universe, Universe B, to visit his other self Bobb. This machine only lets him and what he is carrying though to Universe B, and does not let anything from Universe B into Universe A unless Bob allows otherwise. If he uses this machine and enters Universe B, and nothing else is allowed to cross between these universes, that would mean Universe A would lose matter and energy (the energy and matter Bob is composed of), and thus the universal constant in Universe A would be changed in conflict of the Law of Conservation. Now when Bob enters Universe B to meet Bobb, Universe B's universal constant would be changed by the sudden addition of Bob's matter and energy. Three things can occur when this change occurs; one, both universes will get unstable and collapse onto themselves; two, Bob would be pushed back into Universe A as Universe B prevents him from entering, or ; three, nothing would happen. The third option would be most intriguing, because this could mean that energy might be transferred between universes by a process similar to osmosis. In accordance to that, since Universe B has a higher concentration of energy than universe A, energy would flow from Universe B to Universe A until an equilibrium would be reached, and allowing Bob and Bobb to meet in person.

What do you guys think of this?

One could argue that while energy would be lost from that universe, energy in the multiverse would stay the exact same. The question here is; are physical laws consistent throughout the multiverse? If yes than well... is our universe just a glorified galaxy of sorts a product of our limited knowledge of the cosmos? If no than... I have no idea

I got bored in American Lit class today and I started to think about random thoughts, when I started think about the multi-universe theory and travel in between these universes if they existed when I realized something. If one is able to travel between universes, could that mean that one would violate one of the biggest laws of physics, the Law of Conservation?

Conservation laws are formally written as current conservation laws.

For example, you are familiar with the law of conservation of electric charge. You can create some negative charge, but you have to create some positive charge to compensate, so net charge in the system remains the same. Well, the way it's written formally is ∂ÃÂ/∂t = ∇∙j. "Rate of change of charge density equals to divergence in current density." In simpler terms, if amount of charge you have changed, then the change is equal to amount of charge that flowed in minus the amount that flowed out. (By the way, this formula is way more elegant in Special Relativity, but that's way off topic.)

Alright, so any conservation laws you might be looking at, be it energy, momentum, charge, baryon number, or whatever, will have an associated current. And any physical way of traveling from one universe to another would involve currents. So while the total amount of stuff in a particular universe might have changed, that change is only due to an incoming current, and so the fundamental conservation laws are fine.

Of course, how exactly this is going to work out is going to depend very much on how exactly you define the universe, and what sort of structure the underlying multiverse has. Since we have no evidence of other universes, the question is mostly academic. But if we can't count on conservation of conserved currents, then the rest might as well be voodoo, and it's no longer a scientific question.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.