The KSC World Supercar Championships!

Random question, does electric wheels specifically specify rover wheels? Or can the whole machine be a giant SAS-monster?

Rover wheels, not any sort of reaction wheels. Also what did SasquatchM do to get so fast? You said it is impossible to go that fast with rover wheels, is he using an alternate form of acceleration? That would be against the rules.

EDIT: If he is using control surfaces for extra speed his entry may be invalidated. Question is, are you sure he is using an alternate form of acceleration other than the electronic wheels?

It is not purposely using control surfaces; however, having any control surfaces, even if they are designed just to provide stability, still give you boosts in speed when they provide lift that goes against the direction of cornering. For example, any horizontally aligned control surface mounted to a buggy of any sort will provide thrust just by pitching down in standard control mode.

Perhaps the solution is to have 2 classes, a Barebones class and Stock Unlimited. I would suggest that you disallow any sort of fuel burning engine however and possibly RCS as well in the latter class.

Finally, after a certain point your wheels will break just from contact with the ground at speed.

Yep. x_x

I have one that can get around the track a few times, but I always seem to wind up falling off an edge after a couple times around. The problem is that in order to turn, I need to use roll controls in addition to yaw, when I use roll, I accelerate. When I accelerate, I don't look where I'm going, when I don't look where I'm going, I crash into a building at 250 mph, when crash into a building at 250 mph, Jeb glitches through walls, when Jeb glitches through walls, Kerbin dissappears.

Rover wheels, not any sort of reaction wheels. Also what did SasquatchM do to get so fast? You said it is impossible to go that fast with rover wheels, is he using an alternate form of acceleration? That would be against the rules.

EDIT: If he is using control surfaces for extra speed his entry may be invalidated. Question is, are you sure he is using an alternate form of acceleration other than the electronic wheels?

I'm sure he is. Even if it by accident, he has 11 small and 2 large control surfaces on a vehicle that is probably like 2.5 tonnes. If he tries the Dingus in FAR, it should be no faster than normal cars.

Yep. x_x

I have one that can get around the track a few times, but I always seem to wind up falling off an edge after a couple times around. The problem is that in order to turn, I need to use roll controls in addition to yaw, when I use roll, I accelerate. When I accelerate, I don't look where I'm going, when I don't look where I'm going, I crash into a building at 250 mph, when crash into a building at 250 mph, Jeb glitches through walls, when Jeb glitches through walls, Kerbin dissappears.

So upgrade to DirectTV :P

This is what I'm going to do. If you use control surfaces to speed your supercar up, then you can still have your time on the official leaderboards, but a note next to your place on the leaderboards will be added to notify everyone that you had help from control surfaces. I think that is fair enough. :P

Kingtj44, I propose a few rules:

Minimum weight: 1.5t.

Maximum weight: 6t.

A ban on RCS ports, but not tanks, as they can be used for variable ballast.

LLL should be allowed (but not required) so you can use the dead weights for ballast as well.

FAR should also be required.

Multiple circuits, of which I have heaps.

Must drive in Docking Mode, no ASAS. Control Surfaces must be locked.

No all-out spamming of control surfaces.

Max amount of wheels: 6.

Sort through these and choose what you like.

- Kyrian

Kingtj44, I propose a few rules:

Maximum weight: 6t.

LLL should be allowed (but not required) so you can use the dead weights for ballast as well.

FAR should also be required.

Must drive in Docking Mode, no ASAS. Control Surfaces must be locked.

Kyrian

Minimum weight is good, maximum weight is not, but add a limit to the number of batteries that can be on the racecar. Ban on all forms of RCS is agreed, as with LLL being ok to use. FAR should NOT be required I hate that mod and will not install it. The hate on it is for personal reasons and not the mod, or its makers and it is a great mod, i don't need things to be any harder for me than they are right now. Multiple circuits is mixed feelings but some verity might be fun as in how fast can you get before you fly off the runway. Not sure about the docking mode and as for ASAS I think that needs to be on for some cars like the 3-wheeler that I am attempting to make. As for the control surfaces i think there should be a limit to them, but a reasonable one. Max "powered" wheels should be 6, and maybe a minimum wheel count of two, Motrobikes anyone, or *gasp* uni wheel craft!

Edited by Damaske

Agreed. Unless this is intended to be for infinigliders or hovercraft instead of cars, RCS and infiniglide should be banned.

FAR doesn't do much as long as the control surfaces are locked. Likewise, locking control surfaces has no effect when FAR is on besides making cars harder to control.

Multiple circuits would be awesome.

docking mode? why?

Max wheels 6? I guess so we can call it a car and not a tank.

I don't get the maximum weight. Anyone with something that massive is gonna have some awful trouble being competitive in an environment where being able to exceed 22 m/s is basically a requirement. I think physics should take care of this.

Summed up:

Control Surfaces must be locked.

All good? You should add these to the OP if you like them.

Your car has been added leafty.

Rules: minimum weight of 1.5 tons.

No RCS thrusters at all. Maximum of 8 control surfaces allowed with a maximum of 2 being active. ASAS is fine in my opinion, and more circuits is fine I suppose but not more than 3 or I fear people will start to be confused and things will get harder to manage. As for maximum wheels, i dont care. A car with 10 wheels will likely fail because of physics so i dont mind.

Edited by Kingtj44

Your car has been added leafty.

Rules: minimum weight of 1.5 tons.

No RCS thrusters at all. Maximum of 8 control surfaces allowed with a maximum of 2 being active. ASAS is fine in my opinion, and more circuits is fine I suppose but not more than 3 or I fear people will start to be confused and things will get harder to manage. As for maximum wheels, i dont care. A car with 10 wheels will likely fail because of physics so i dont mind.

Control surfaces need to be locked? On stock KSP it's possible to make a car complete the circuit at a constant 50-55 m/s, and thats beccause the wheels break at 60 m/s, otherwise it's possible to make a car go 150 m/s even on the slowest turns. Pds314 demonstrated this well with his hypersonic car.

I made it again in 8:58, no moving surfaces:

I pressed F1 and "mark" buttton in Mechjeb at the same time, but the screenshot came out first so the stopwatch still shows "1:00"

DqGSYca.png

Finish:

8zmZ06g.png

The car name is Firelaser II, top speed is 26.2 m/s.

Edited by ThermalShark

Yes that is what i am trying to avoid. infiglider cars were not the intent of this challenge

I suggest you ban moving control surfaces completely, at least for people that dont use FAR. Here is the Firelaser II, that had a top speed of 26.2 m/s, now at 72.7 m/s, only because i activated pitch controls on the rear surfaces:

h8aoYaV.png

The surfaces boost it so much that it accelerates even without using the wheels, and when stopped, it starts going forwards. The same happens with only the small surface being active, and with only 50% pitch input (using trim, alt+S).

EDIT: I have the rover keys set to IJKL, thats why i can have the rear surfaces pitch up while still accelerating the wheels.

Edited by ThermalShark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.