Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TL ; DR: Does anyone have the YF-23 control surface settings on hand? :D

Hello everyone!
I've been working on a jet fighter for three years now, and the latest problem I've encountered is really bothering me. I'm trying to make something with the aerodynamics of a brick (I see you, F-4 Phantom) at least decently maneuverable.
So far, yaw and pitch are no problem, but roll is... slow, to say the least.
As the main wing is very similar to that of the YF-23 (despite the front canards, I know...), I thought I'd use this aircraft - a real one, for once - as a basis for the elevon settings.

Here are the specs and current control surface settings, and I'm not sure this is the most relevant.
https://imgur.com/a/oAJqBzG

The design is done, and apart from a few tweaks here and there, I'm mainly trying to improve the settings, nothing else.

Edited by Nyxilo
Problem solved. See FAR Craft Repo.

On 9/16/2024 at 10:25 PM, Yugen said:

Jesus, that's incredible. Does it handle well in addition to looking amazing?

Thank you! It handles decently well I would say. At high speeds (Around 400m/s) it sometimes has a habit of ripping the cockpit apart when performing high G maneuvers due to it being made with procedural wing parts, but it wouldn't be realistic to pull those kinds of G's anyways. I slightly increased the power of the engines it uses (went from ~0.93 TWR to about 1.12) through configs to more evenly match real world performance and I sadly have to use some gimbal to get it to turn well when fully loaded, but if I jettison all bombs and the fuel pods it flies great even without the use of gimbal.

I'm planning on uploading it to kerbalX soon enough, including three different 'liveries' (144th FW F-15, California ANG 75th Anniversary, 75th Anniversary of Oregon ANG)