Prometheus Family (Launch vehicle subassemblies)

I made the first few of these LVs when I was playing trough career mode, and I decided to expand upon the design and share them. The 2nd stage of the core has solar panels and a probe core for deorbiting, if the seperatrons prove insufficient. All versions share the same 2-stage core, except for the IB, as I designed that earlier, but proved better in almost every aspect that the I version (which was derived from the II, actually). The IB also comes closer to the 15% payload I was trying to achieve. To increase the capacity, I used two kinds of boosters, small and large, in different setups. Also note that I tried avoiding asparagus staging, using it only in the IV and VI, although one could argue that it isn't classic asparagus, as it drops four boosters at once instead of the usual 2 =P The given payloads are guidelines, they are the maximum payload weight to a 75km orbit, tested with mechjeb. All subassemblies have 6 empty stages, to reduce staging conflicts when you slap it under a craft. The Family may be expanded upon later.

I also included two versions of a command module that I use often when designing orbiters, one stock, one with a hidden mechjeb case. The pod weighs in at 4.8t with a partcount of 35, and has 3 semi-hidden parachutes and a small probe core for unmanned control.

When using the subassembly, action groups will already be bound. I avoided using action group 1, because I always bind solar panels on that. The used action groups are:

Abort: detaches the pod and fires 8 seperatrons

2: Jettisons the LES, using 4 seperatrons

0: deploys antenna on LES, just for looks

Specs and pics:

[table=width: 500, align: center]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td]Payload (t)[/td]

[td]LV (t)[/td]

[td]Total (t)[/td]

[td]Payload fraction[/td]

[td]Parts[/td]

[td]Stages[/td]

[td]Boosters[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]I[/td]

[td]7.5[/td]

[td]72.1[/td]

[td]79.6[/td]

[td]9.42%[/td]

[td]55[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]0[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]IB[/td]

[td]8.3[/td]

[td]56.6[/td]

[td]64.9[/td]

[td]12.79%[/td]

[td]35[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]0[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]II[/td]

[td]15.5[/td]

[td]113.4[/td]

[td]128.9[/td]

[td]12.02%[/td]

[td]87[/td]

[td]2+1[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]III[/td]

[td]22.3[/td]

[td]152.9[/td]

[td]175.2[/td]

[td]12.73%[/td]

[td]95[/td]

[td]2+1[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]IV[/td]

[td]30.2[/td]

[td]194.4[/td]

[td]224.5l[/td]

[td]13.45%[/td]

[td]121[/td]

[td]2+2[/td]

[td]2+4[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]V[/td]

[td]36.9[/td]

[td]233.8[/td]

[td]270,7l[/td]

[td]13.63%[/td]

[td]127[/td]

[td]2+1[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]VI[/td]

[td]45.2[/td]

[td]275.1[/td]

[td]320.3[/td]

[td]14.11%[/td]

[td]159[/td]

[td]2+2[/td]

[td]4+4[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Javascript is disabled. View full album

For those who want to use or test them, here's the whole family in an archive

Feedback is always appreciated, happy flying! :)

Edited by Kurotenshi

The small boosters always feed into the large boosters. Take the IV for example: two small ones feed into one big tank, which then feeds into the core

So I guess that's onion staging, hadn't heard that before, only parallel and asparagus :P

If the smalls feed the large, which feed the core, then you technically have asparagus. Asparagus is where some boosters feed other boosters until they are empty. Then the first set of boosters drops and the next set remains perfectly full. Typically, it's done in 4x and 6x symmetry with orange tanks but you seem to have a nice design using 2x and 4x symmetry.

Looking at your fuel lines confirms that.

Now, Onion is when you have a design like this:

vced.png

Where all the boosters feed the central stack and drop at the same time (the above picture is a unique asparagus serial hybrid design that I would not recommend attempting to replicate).

Edited by Captain Sierra

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.