[Stock Craft] Jetstream, the VTOL car of the future!

XOIIO

Hello everyone, I got a bit bored with rockets and spaceplanes, so decided to make something entirely different, and I came up with this. Jetstream, the VTOL car of the future! (Or how it was imagined in the 70's-80's)

jrdvlj.jpg

It's a nimble, fairly fast, and fairly easy to control (once you get the hang of it) VTOL make with just stock parts, and several hours of trial and error, getting this thing to be balanced out just right, making sure it is controllable enough, and that it is of course, a fun thing to play with.

It has four standard jet engines for vertical propulsion, usually best set at 30% capacity, and a rear turbojet engine. I originally had it set at 60%, but it works fine at 100% with the addition of a second ring of reaction wheels. It also has landing legs, seven parachutes deployed with an emergency cutout by pressing 5, and utility ladders on each side. On top of that, it has a probe for remote control. It also has plenty of fuel to make good trips, I flew to the island runway and had quite a lot of fuel left over.

It also looks stylish with it's ram air intake at the front :)

Here is a video, somewhat long, showing it working, it was made during the process of building it, so you won't see some things on it. The very last segment has a neat trick that I wish I was good enough at flying this to do on purpose :)

Here are some more images of it, I landed on the island runway with parachutes, but I was able to land on the helipad without, it's a bit of a challenge since jet engines take a bit to spin up and down but it sure is fun and you get a feel for it.

One thing I will warn you of, do not put the bottom jets at 100%, it is practically uncontrollable at that point, and flips over quite a lot. I also recommend using caps lock for fine control.

30m67vo.jpg

w7y4wz.jpg

123639x.jpg

143js0i.jpg

28wpa91.jpg

2564qdy.jpg

You can download it here. It does not have the MechJeb module on it, that was hopefully so I could watch the speed and use that to control it better, but that proved useless, practice was better.

Be sure to let me know what you think of flying it :)

Edited by XOIIO

Well, talk about disappointing, I thought this was pretty good but 150 views and nada :/

Either than or this part of the forums is just really inactive in terms of replies.

Edited by XOIIO

Well, talk about disappointing, I thought this was pretty good but 150 views and nada :/

Either than or this part of the forums is just really inactive in terms of replies.

I wouldn't take it to heart. Anyway, it's a nice solid looking VTOL, it seems a little overpowered to me though, for the fuel you've got on board even a single jet engine would be enough to lift it. I'd also be inclined to get rid of the horizontal engine as you don't really need it. But yeah, keep at it, I think it's got plenty of potential. :)

Cupcake...

for the fuel you've got on board even a single jet engine would be enough to lift it.

Perhaps you could go the other way, and add even more fuel?

Yeah, the forums aren't that busy. Some threads only get a few glances. In slower parts, threads tend to stick around for a few days. Comments are rarely rapid.

It's a neat looking thing though, I might give it a try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.