HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Oh no, I was using shroud and fairing interchangeably in that case, a poor choice of wording on my part. I haven't made up my mind on what's going to happen with the radish yet. I'm pretty torn both ways and working on the soy juice is still my main priority with so much still needing to be done there.

As far as actual fairing go, I typically use procedural fairings myself, but have dabbled with KW's as well. Does the large shroud fit inside their 2.5m fairing? I can't remember if I've tested this.

With two .cfg files you end up with duplicate parts in the VAB which can be annoying for many people. I'm sure that some solution will be found, it'll just take time.

Oh ok so you're basically using both nodes at the same time right? If I make the service module then the pod would only have one node so I'm not sure that would still be possible. However I've been debating whether or not dedicated service modules are really in the spirit of the game to begin with. I might very well end up just doing a custom drag model for it.

What do you guys think? Is the all in one nature of dedicated service modules a bad thing? I'm working on a few 1.875m parts for the next update so that I can try the soy juice without it's service module.

My two cents, although I haven't played with either capsule much yet... The Soy...thing... I'd rather make my own SM. It's an irregular enough of a shape it's going to have a fairing either way, so an "un-smooth" SM can still be blended well with the rest of the rocket, and being that the capsule is just a bit under 2.5m, there's still plenty of room for sticky-outey-bits within said fairing. The Radish, however, practically screams for an SM. It just fits better with the aerodynamic, conical, "nuts-to-you-AND-your-silly-fairings-you-commie-bastage" look of that pod.

Well the option of build-your-own-SM is nice, but personally I'll probably just use the provided ones. I'm just a fan of all-in-one service modules like the SDHI system for the Mk. 1-2 pod.

Edit: Just tried out the Soy-Juice in sandbox mode. Looking great and running great, but why does the orbital module only hold one Kerbal? Granted it is smaller than the command pod, but I would have expected two to fit. Eh, maybe the IVA will answer that for me.

Edited by TerLoki

Orionkermin, I'm guessing you made it this way, but I love that the Soy-juice return capsule is aerodynamically sound. On a test flight I ran out of battery for the reaction wheels, but it kept its heatshield pointed the right way all the way down! Very cool and something a lot of modders overlook.

Does the large shroud fit inside their 2.5m fairing? I can't remember if I've tested this.

Hmm, I'll certainly try this - I'm pretty sure it would fit nicely in the expanded KW 2.5m fairing (as well as the larger one), but the rim of the shroud might clip through the non-expanded version. At work at the moment, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Orionkermin. Great parts!

A little bit of feedback, if you don't mind: The Service module could use a bit more fuel+oxidizer, maybe 1.5x what it has now, and also a bit more electric charge. Taking into account its size, its not very far-fetched.

The orbital module could have a bit more electric charge as well to account for its size.

Loving the parachutes, man.

Hi Orionkermin. Great parts!

A little bit of feedback, if you don't mind: The Service module could use a bit more fuel+oxidizer, maybe 1.5x what it has now, and also a bit more electric charge. Taking into account its size, its not very far-fetched.

The orbital module could have a bit more electric charge as well to account for its size.

Loving the parachutes, man.

Thanks! The service module will be disappearing (at least temporarily) on the next update in favor of adding parts to build your own. The reason for low electric charge on the OM is mostly to balance it vs other drone pods.

Wait a sec... IS the experimental SM for the Radish available anywhere? All I see in the OP download is the SoyJuice parts...

It used to be up before I updated to the soyjuice. I can add it again in the next update.

Been doing some work towards replacing the service module with better options. I've got a couple tanks done and added the larger shroud to the capsule. Anyway thought I'd share some pics of them.

This is the two tanks and a re-scaled version of Squad's decoupler. Figured it would save some resources if I just re-use their model and texture.

2014-03-17_00002_zps0128ef42.jpg

Size comparison of the tank sizes.

2014-03-17_00003_zps54e1330f.jpg

The pod with the 1.875m tanks and the large shroud. Also experimenting with adding some color to the capsule. Not sure if I'm going to keep the stripe. (If I do I'll have to match up the OM)

2014-03-17_00004_zps96791f82.jpg2014-03-17_00001_zpscbca2025.jpg

Anyway I've got some more stuff close to getting done/improved so when I get those done I'll update the download. (Probably around tues night) After this update I want to start working on the IVAs.

Edited by Orionkermin

I am liking the look of your Soyuz and Shenzhou modules and am looking forward to using them!

On the fairing... does it support having an escape tower attached? (Please say yes :D)

For reference, if it helps.

shrouds.gif

I am liking the look of your Soyuz and Shenzhou modules and am looking forward to using them!

On the fairing... does it support having an escape tower attached? (Please say yes :D)

For reference, if it helps.

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/s/shrouds.gif

MaverickSawyer did an LES test using the pod and parts from another mod. Check out his video on page 16 I think it is.

I'm not really working on fairings myself as the parts fit into the standard ones you'd get from say KW or procedural fairings. (I was using procedural fairings in the OP album)

I want to make some 1.875m fairings eventually, but those would be more for completion of my planned 1.875m parts pack.

That needs to be stock size because there is large, small, tiny, and probably Xtra Large in 0.24 because of the new parts coming but there is no medium. That is definitely medium.

Also, I'm using the Kosmos cockpit IVA for now. Try it.

Edited by Pockrtplanesairways

Also experimenting with adding some color to the capsule. Not sure if I'm going to keep the stripe. (If I do I'll have to match up the OM)

I don't think that aquamarine color fits very well the stock color palette, it should be closer to the color of the windows

Ok, newest version is up including several new parts for 1.875m size. Make sure you check out the OP for details and end your previous flights before updating. Also note I haven't had a ton of time to do tst flights on the updates so fly at your own risk.

I've found that taking breaks to work on simpler parts gives me a much needed mental rest so I've decided to work on my 1.875m parts parallel to the soy-juice. However my next major goal is to begin work on the IVAs so I'm sure many will be looking forward to that.

@rottielover Wow, all the way to duna! I don't think I've even gotten out to Mun with these parts yet...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.