HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

As a player using both RealFuels and TAC Life Support (with adapted consumption rates), I think it'd great if there was 2 orbital modules and 2 reentry capsules.

One set dedicated to kerballed flight (better than manned, no ?), and another set without any crew capacity, but with enough room for supplies (using MFT/RF). Also, the unkerballed reentry capsule could be used to return Scienceâ„¢ from space stations and stuff like that.

Anyway, great job on these and on the whole mod, they're so beautiful and useful that they are essential now to my Kerbiet Space Agency :sticktongue:

As a player using both RealFuels and TAC Life Support (with adapted consumption rates), I think it'd great if there was 2 orbital modules and 2 reentry capsules.

One set dedicated to kerballed flight (better than manned, no ?), and another set without any crew capacity, but with enough room for supplies (using MFT/RF). Also, the unkerballed reentry capsule could be used to return Scienceâ„¢ from space stations and stuff like that.

Anyway, great job on these and on the whole mod, they're so beautiful and useful that they are essential now to my Kerbiet Space Agency :sticktongue:

He said he may make an unmanned version like progress is the unmanned soyuz but not before first version of the manned one is released. So maybe in a update

He said he may make an unmanned version like progress is the unmanned soyuz but not before first version of the manned one is released. So maybe in a update

Oh snap, I'm really sorry, that damn short-term memory again... I guess until the unmanned version is released, I'll have to roll my own configs ! (Not that I don't like that, don't misread me, I have nearly a hundrer MM config files in my current install)

As a sidenote, I really thing the OM would look really good when used as a low-tech space station module in early career, another niche this mod will superbly fit in !

As a sidenote, I really thing the OM would look really good when used as a low-tech space station module in early career, another niche this mod will superbly fit in !

That was one of the reasons I went with the shenzhou style OM over the traditional spherical one actually. I want to have it unlock at the same level as the Lab does. (Space exploration I think) It will hopefully make a nice docking tunnel on space stations as well.

In fact I think the actual Shenzhou OM is designed to be able to detach and become a part of a space station, is it not?

That was one of the reasons I went with the shenzhou style OM over the traditional spherical one actually. I want to have it unlock at the same level as the Lab does. (Space exploration I think) It will hopefully make a nice docking tunnel on space stations as well.

In fact I think the actual Shenzhou OM is designed to be able to detach and become a part of a space station, is it not?

Effectively, the Shenzhou OM has its own propulsion and life support systems, as well as solar panels, and is suitable for autonomous flight (source), so it could easily be used to build a low-tech space station early in the game. Maybe you could unlock it a wee bit earlier than the lab module and add some basic experiments to encourage the player to build station intead of going in a planetary exploration spree, just my two cents ! :)

From the article you linked:"A stretched version would provide an 8-metric ton space laboratory for use in Project 921 Phase 2. In Phase 3 of Project 921 the modules could be left attached to the 20-metric ton space station as additional station modules."

I think this is where I read it from in the first place. haha :D

Edited by Orionkermin

I think this is where I read it from in the first place. haha :D

As far as I know the current Shenzou (well the one from Shenzou 6,guess that was the latest mission) has an orbital module which can stay an additional 6 month duration in orbit for experiments etc. So a use of the orbital module for a simple station is not so off xD

As far as I know the current Shenzou (well the one from Shenzou 6,guess that was the latest mission) has an orbital module which can stay an additional 6 month duration in orbit for experiments etc. So a use of the orbital module for a simple station is not so off xD

Shenzhou 10 was the most recent, During the early flights 1-4 the OM was left operational for a few days after separation, Shenzhou 5's was still in communication 6 months after separation,

Shenzhou 8, 9 and 10 have not carried solar panels on the OM, but instead had docking systems to dock with the space station. These are not able to fly independent, but could be left attached to the space station as an airlock as so desired (this has not been done) as they seal when separated from the CM.

I've been starting on the textures for the exteriors and thought I'd post up what I have so far. These are obviously still not complete, but hopefully It'll give an indication for the style I'm going for.

I love the color palette you're using :D should work very well with stock parts and looks!

Also if you need people to help test I volunteer to do so in anyway I can including FAR and DRE (deadly reentry) testing

Maybe a bit late, but i think the sides are a bit too slanted, making it look kinda like a cross between a Soyuz and a Dragon, i think it would look a bit better if it was slightly more rounded and/or the gap between it and the orbital module was widened, and making it grey or green instead of white would help make it look more Shenzhou-y or Soyuz-y and less like a more rounded Dragon.

Maybe a bit late, but i think the sides are a bit too slanted, making it look kinda like a cross between a Soyuz and a Dragon, i think it would look a bit better if it was slightly more rounded and/or the gap between it and the orbital module was widened, and making it grey or green instead of white would help make it look more Shenzhou-y or Soyuz-y and less like a more rounded Dragon.

The color's he's using are in order to match the stock color palette if I remember correctly which is why he's going with the same off-white that most of the fuel tanks and the Mk. 1-2 pod use

I like the that it doesn't look just like a Shenzhou or a Soyuz it's a hybrid

This, ss, and another up vote for his choice of palette. If you want a Soyuz, Bobcat made an excellent one. I like this design cuz it's not a clone of either but inspired by both, it's unique.

But more and more I'm thinking he needs to include some equally unique & different solar panels with it!

Ok, I've begun to implement the pod into the game so that I could do some early testing and comparisons and well I wanted to see it in game.:sticktongue:

This is still a long way off from even public testing with lots more work to do to the textures, adding at least preliminary IVA, and all around testing and such. But, we're continuing to move forwards at a good pace!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Anyways, I'll keep on working and updating until this baby is ready to go!

Ok, I've begun to implement the pod into the game so that I could do some early testing and comparisons and well I wanted to see it in game.:sticktongue:

This is still a long way off from even public testing with lots more work to do to the textures, adding at least preliminary IVA, and all around testing and such. But, we're continuing to move forwards at a good pace!

I like!

Would you be open to incorporating the combined parachute / docking port which appears in the SDHI Service Module System mod? It looks like it would be a good fit for your new pod, and the licence seems to allow it.

edit: I just thought of something else - how about a chute/port combo the same size as the clamp-o-tron junior for putting on top of the Spud?

Edited by S4qFBxkFFg

I like!

Would you be open to incorporating the combined parachute / docking port which appears in the SDHI Service Module System mod? It looks like it would be a good fit for your new pod, and the licence seems to allow it.

edit: I just thought of something else - how about a chute/port combo the same size as the clamp-o-tron junior for putting on top of the Spud?

Shouldn't this get a combo parachute decoupler? you don't land the OM and that's the part with the docking port.

Shouldn't this get a combo parachute decoupler? you don't land the OM and that's the part with the docking port.

*looks closer*

Ah, I didn't pick up on that, my bad; it was a bit of a brain fart anyway, for some reason when I typed that I was thinking docking ports were integral components of capsules... :rolleyes:

*looks closer*

Ah, I didn't pick up on that, my bad; it was a bit of a brain fart anyway, for some reason when I typed that I was thinking docking ports were integral components of capsules... :rolleyes:

So how about all of the above? The craft would retain much more utility if it could redock after separating, like dumping the OM with a couple of Kerbals in it in order to go rescue some else.

The craft would retain much more utility if it could redock after separating

Absolutely - but what I wasn't thinking before is that this isn't really down to the mod author - we can just add whichever docking port we want while building the craft in the VAB.

Absolutely - but what I wasn't thinking before is that this isn't really down to the mod author - we can just add whichever docking port we want while building the craft in the VAB.

Yup, that's the idea.:D Don't get me wrong, while I'm not wholly against specialized utility parts; they aren't high on my priority list. There's also a lot of other mods out there you can find at least similar parts. For instance I know the real chutes mod has some inline parachutes you could just put a decoupler or docking port on those as well. There's a few mods around with solar panels you can use for now, that might look nicer than the stock ones.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, while it is a possibility for me to make such parts, it wouldn't be until a few other projects of mine are finished and I haven't decided if I want to do them or not yet.

Orionkermin, the more screenshots you post, thr more eager I get to fly this beauty ! You're making the finest stockalike-yet-realistic capsules the mods has to offer, and I'll be glad to help in any way, from testing to integration with other mods, or some config-fu.

If the ends of the OM are effectively 1.25m, many docking ports could be used, and my preference would go to FusTek's Common Berthing Mechanisms. Maybe some specialized RCS ports should be created, for the OM, to make it even more independent !

http://imgur.com/a/1xsH3

Looking great! And I love that its able to be broken into parts to mix and match with stock/mod parts. I like my rocket parts to feel like LEGOs. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.