Aviation freaks, unite!

jmiki8

Hi there!

I have seen a lot of people on the forums building various (atmospheric) aircraft, so I guess there are some of you who are really interested in real-life aviation.

(After trains) I'm mostly interested in airplanes. I usually go plane spotting to my home city's airport (ICAO: LHBP; IATA: BUD). My armament is a Canon SX40HS bridge camera (to be replaced with a Nikon D80 -still in need of zoom lens), and an Albrecht AE-33 airband radio, with a custom-built quarter-wave antenna. When it's too cold/rainy out there, I usually "watch" flightradar24.com, and listen to the ATC.

So are other aviation freaks/plane spotters out there? :)

Edited by jmiki8

I'm the same way. I'm currently going after my PPL flying out of KFME in Odenton, MD. KFME had the cheapest flight school I could find, and since I'm a college student working about 15 hours/ week @ 7.25/ hour, cheap is good. Damn, I hate the costs of flying.:D

Downside of cheap is that I'm learning to fly in a 152 with a whopping 110hp under the hood. And recently, the weather hasn't been cooperating too much.

As far as watching for planes, I don't even need to go outside. I live right under the approach path for KBWI.

I'm the same way. I'm currently going after my PPL flying out of KFME in Odenton, MD. KFME had the cheapest flight school I could find, and since I'm a college student working about 15 hours/ week @ 7.25/ hour, cheap is good. Damn, I hate the costs of flying.:D

Downside of cheap is that I'm learning to fly in a 152 with a whopping 110hp under the hood. And recently, the weather hasn't been cooperating too much.

As far as watching for planes, I don't even need to go outside. I live right under the approach path for KBWI.

I feel your weather problems,I'm doing the samething(but in a 172) and I had to cancel just today cause of the weather :/

I feel your weather problems,I'm doing the samething(but in a 172) and I had to cancel just today cause of the weather :/

And once again....

KFME 271633Z AUTO 29012G23KT 10SM SCT060 07/M02 A2978 RMK AO1

When is this polar vortex going to dissipate?

And once again....

KFME 271633Z AUTO 29012G23KT 10SM SCT060 07/M02 A2978 RMK AO1

When is this polar vortex going to dissipate?

What's AO1? I've not seen that code before.

I'm in the same polar vortex boat, unfortunately. I've had stuff like this for weeks:

SPECI CYXU 271817Z 28012G18KT 3/4SM R15/5000VP6000FT/U -SHSN DRSN OVC016 M14/M17 A2994 RMK BLSN3CU5 OCNL BLSN SLP155=

What's AO1? I've not seen that code before.

I'm in the same polar vortex boat, unfortunately. I've had stuff like this for weeks:

SPECI CYXU 271817Z 28012G18KT 3/4SM R15/5000VP6000FT/U -SHSN DRSN OVC016 M14/M17 A2994 RMK BLSN3CU5 OCNL BLSN SLP155=

IIRC, it means its an automated system with no human double checking the weather.

So far, 1.7 hours down. Last five leasons were canceled for the following reasons (in order):

Weather

Injury

Work

Weather

Weather

If it wasn't for the winds here, today would have been a good day to fly.

Edited by rpayne88

I have an interest in flight, but considering my age and the cost of getting a PPL the only chance I have at flying my own plane is if it's an ultralight or remote-controlled. As for seeing planes, on a good summer day I can look up and see 4-6 passenger jets flying in various directions.

Is that you on the video?

(don't hesitate to not answer me if you want to keep privacy: I fully understand that as I would probably do that)

yep, that's me. You'll find me flying around in warmer weather, usually around the Lehigh Valley (Sellersville, Quakertown, Braden and Flying-M Airparks).

Wow! I didn't know that there would be RL pilot-trainees on the forum! Cool!

Ravenchant:

We are neighbors :D. I've heard of the crisis of Adria Airways, and I hope they'll solve it, unlike our flag carrier Malév, which was destroyed by our politicians went bankrupt in 2012. Living in a country without a flag carrier airline sucks - we became the paradise of Ryanair/Wizzair (at least the latter one is based in Hungary) ;.; . I hope the Slovenian airline will take a different way.

Edited by jmiki8

I am near a RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) Base, so I see Hawk-127's (I think thats what they are) flying around and the rare occasion of F-18's! Also there are a lot of prop planes and sometimes this massive Cargo plane that flys around. So pretty cool :)

The cargo plane is likely a C-17.. the RAAF bought a handful a few years back to be able to ferry our Abrams' (and other 'heavy stuff') around.

In KSP-related news, I've recently been trying my hand at making a decent PBY-5a Catalina.. Firespitter and Procedural wings do the basics, I've got infernal robotics powered hinges to raise and lower the wingtip floats... Does pretty well with either land or water take-offs and landings.. Have been mucking about 'Space'ing it up with the interstellar mod.. props swapped out for electric ones, fueled by little fusion reactors, which also get to power some thermal turbojets and provide some leftover juice for plasma thrusters.. That side of it isn't so successful, though ;)

The cargo plane is likely a C-17.. the RAAF bought a handful a few years back to be able to ferry our Abrams' (and other 'heavy stuff') around.

In KSP-related news, I've recently been trying my hand at making a decent PBY-5a Catalina.. Firespitter and Procedural wings do the basics, I've got infernal robotics powered hinges to raise and lower the wingtip floats... Does pretty well with either land or water take-offs and landings.. Have been mucking about 'Space'ing it up with the interstellar mod.. props swapped out for electric ones, fueled by little fusion reactors, which also get to power some thermal turbojets and provide some leftover juice for plasma thrusters.. That side of it isn't so successful, though ;)

I don't think C-17's can carry an Abrams (unless you're not talking about the M1A1 tank.) I know the C-5 can only carry one of them at a time, and the C-5 is MUCH larger than a C-17.

Cool! I wish if we had a better air force. We have ~12 (twelve) JAS 39 Gripens, and some transport aircraft (our corrupt politicians we sold our MiG-29s) ...But heck, we don't even have anything to transport... There are some trucks, a number of BTR-80s, and some old rusty T-72s, so basically San Marino could go through us without resistance. :D

I don't think C-17's can carry an Abrams (unless you're not talking about the M1A1 tank.) I know the C-5 can only carry one of them at a time, and the C-5 is MUCH larger than a C-17.

C17 is certainly a stubby little thing (designed with an amount of STOL capability and temporary airstrips in mind), but it's still big enough to lift an M1A1. That was one of the prime considerations in acquiring them.

The C-17 is just an all-around cool aircraft. I once had the chance to take a ride in the back of one during a training flight. They opened up the ramp mid-air and everything. It may be a great big cargo plane, but it's more manoeuvrable than it looks. It was surprised to see the pilots have a HUD, I didn't expect those in transports. And on the note of STOL, it's also pretty cool to see them land on a 6000' runway, back up, and take off again without even turning around.

I saw them all the time when I was learning to fly; I actually had to delay a couple flights because they were training in the area. I remember during one early flight my instructor had just been discussing traffic checks when a C-17 passed about a thousand feet above us.

The C-17 is just an all-around cool aircraft. I once had the chance to take a ride in the back of one during a training flight. They opened up the ramp mid-air and everything. It may be a great big cargo plane, but it's more manoeuvrable than it looks. It was surprised to see the pilots have a HUD, I didn't expect those in transports. And on the note of STOL, it's also pretty cool to see them land on a 6000' runway, back up, and take off again without even turning around.

I saw them all the time when I was learning to fly; I actually had to delay a couple flights because they were training in the area. I remember during one early flight my instructor had just been discussing traffic checks when a C-17 passed about a thousand feet above us.

I've been in the cockpit of a C-130 once. They have HUDs there too.

I've also had the chance to witness a flight of four A-10s break formation for landing about 1000ft above me once while I was landing at Martin State (KMTN,) AKA Warfield Air National Guard Base.

I've been in the cockpit of a C-130 once. They have HUDs there too.

Only in the Js or later. There are still a lot of Hs or earlier out there.

HUDs do make sense even in unarmed aircraft, they combine a lot of flight instruments into simple displays, and they show navigation information. Especially aircraft like C-130s do need to be able to fly tactically at low-level. Keeping your head up when you've got Charles down in the mud at full throttle is a Good Thingâ„¢.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.