Black Knight

spaceman1999

black-knight-satellit5.jpg

I think this is the best photo of the "black knight satellite". It all almost looks like a flattened cardboard box. To me its origin is pretty obvious. It is just a rotating piece of space junk, which probably floated out of the space shuttle's cargo bay.

As far as I know it was discovered on STS-088. Back in '98 they just started to build the ISS and Endeavour was sent up with the Unity module and two docking adapters (PMA 1 and 2). I believe it's safe to assume its just some kind of a protecting foil or smething similiar of one of the modules.

I Think its part of a old Soviet mission and this got ripped off, and it still orbited (or still orbits) the earth since its separation and if not (Alien theory mode: ON) Its a survey unit left to study the humanity, Or atleast thats what i think (Alien theory mode: OFF).

Whatever it is that thing is really mysterious and probably we will never know what it really was or what it was supposed to do.

Since I'd never heard of it, I Googled this thing to see what came up. Everything was a conspiracy theory or UFO site; nothing seemed at all reputable. The pictures look like debris.

I agree with Canopus. I think this falls under the conspiracy theory rule. For goodness' sake, the second highest site when searching for the thing is "Above Top Secret" and quotes Nostradamus.

I'm pretty sure Black Knight was actually just a thermal blanket from one of the shuttle missions.

Most likely this. Any Google search turns up pretty much just crackpot theories about how it's been around since the dawn of man, apparently.

As far as I know it was discovered on STS-088. Back in '98 they just started to build the ISS and Endeavour was sent up with the Unity module and two docking adapters (PMA 1 and 2). I believe it's safe to assume its just some kind of a protecting foil or smething similiar of one of the modules.

I thought the first sighting was in the 60's? Plus how does it maintain its orbit?

But I heard that at the time when it was discovered polar orbit was impossible, and it orbits in a polar orbit...

I heard that too. I think if I read right it may have been past debris form the Corona reconnaissance satellite program.

I thought the first sighting was in the 60's? Plus how does it maintain its orbit?

There wasn't actually a real sighting of this in the 60s. A questionable retired Marine Corps Major made claims about one or two satellites orbiting the earth in 1954. Six years later there was some confusion about a mysterious sattelite in a polar orbit, which probably was part of the Discoverer V a corona satellite launched a few months earlier. And there was the sighting of this black object from STS-088 in 1998.

Those are the three events conspiration theroists talk about if they asked about the back knight sattelite. I personally see no connection between any of those events. I can understand how people are fascinated by the thought of an ancient alien satellite in earth orbit, but to be honest it's highly unlikely and all the "evidence" can be linked to simple non-linked events of human spaceflight.

But I heard that at the time when it was discovered polar orbit was impossible, and it orbits in a polar orbit...
How was it discovered then? The photo that is visible all over the web shows a very clear picture as if it was travelling at similar velocities to the craft that took it (the space shuttle?) so it is likely that it is part of the same vehicle.

How was it discovered then? The photo that is visible all over the web shows a very clear picture as if it was travelling at similar velocities to the craft that took it (the space shuttle?) so it is likely that it is part of the same vehicle.

As far as I know the shuttle wasn't able to reach polar orbit, but the photographed object wasn't in polar orbit either, as it probably just was some thermal blanket or other kind of protective covering, which had floated out of the shuttles bay.

As I stated earlier the object in polar orbit was discovered and 1960 and I'm pretty sure it doesn't orbit earth anymore.

As far as I know the shuttle wasn't able to reach polar orbit, but the photographed object wasn't in polar orbit either, as it probably just was some thermal blanket or other kind of protective covering, which had floated out of the shuttles bay.

As I stated earlier the object in polar orbit was discovered and 1960 and I'm pretty sure it doesn't orbit earth anymore.

I am also sure that object you are talking about has nothing to do with that picture.

If you look up the images most commonly used for the "Black Knight (ooh, spooky,)" satellite, you'll find that they're all the same object - a thermal blanket. It was actually the subject of a paper written about space junk, and the threat it poses to space stations.