Oops, using ladder to reenter.

SSSPutnik

I can probably aero brake into a decent orbit... But the ladder sliding is a show stopper probably.

Problem is the main ship can't land.

Slight oversight on my part :) Forgot about getting them back down.

Its part of a challenge, if I send another ship to rendezvous its breaking the rules.

If there's something to stop them sliding, you may have a chance. It's unlikely, but you can always quicksave experiment, and try reentering with your ship pointed a few different ways, unless the challenge forbids this.

In case you have something that stops the Kerbals from sliding, but could have some troubles with them sliding onto each other. And I'm not sure if they can hold on to the ladder on parachute deployment.

I've landed with a Kerbal on the ladder once before. Messed up a rendezvous (read: accidentally ejected an engine) and ended up with an extra passenger on another craft. It depends on how well your craft can autoland (will it spiral out of control with the engines running and no input) and how comfortable you are switching to the Kerbal a lot during landing. You'll have to constantly control the EVA and move the Kerbal back up the ladder or they're gonna fall off, which means your lander is going to be descending, engines on, and you aren't going to be controlling it a lot of the time. You're also going to need a lot of fuel to keep it to a safe speed (you need to slow down before you deploy chutes).

I doubt you could do it with more than one, maybe two per ladder though. They slide pretty fast once the engines are running, and you will need to be able to control the lander for at least a two or three seconds at a time to make adjustments and switch back without them falling off. If you have six, you'd be better off trying to establish a circular orbit and sending another ship to rescue them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.