general noob help with KSP

It seems most are misunderstanding. For starters, I'm aware of how to get science. But beef recently it was not made aware to me that different parts of a planet give different science. I ran out of science and thought, well all that work getting here and there isn't much science to gain. Secondly, I work full time, and when I'm not working, I'm sleeping. It's not a dead post, I just don't have all the free time in the world. Additionally, General help was all I could think to use, I wanted a convo that could just help me out some without getting too griddy on one topic. It might help to know that sometimes my Grammer gets messed up because of Swype. I'm on a phone and at work typing most of this so I don't always have the time to proofread my post.

Most of all, I'm new her, so do t make judgements based on me needing a hand. I've always learned better from directness. Someone's post about my confusion with parts was a bit arrogant. No, I'm not as confused with mod parts as I am with the vanilla parts. After scouring I was only able to find one piece of material explaining reaction wheels. And it turns out I May have been placing them wrong. This is what I came here for, confusion on a multitude of things.

I'll take the criticisms, but I came here because I'm not a pro kerbal player. And if you can't bear with someone who is trying to learn I'm sorry for you. And yes, I'm fully American, again, my phone is stupid and capitalized things for no reason and such.. I'll pm those you offered to speak to me, and I thank you for the offer. I'm sure I can better explain myself in voice since I've never been particularly good at explaining my mind to others in a few paragraphs.

Oh and I mod every pc game I have, I enjoy the customizeability( if that's a word) of pc games. And yes, I'd love to fly fictional ships, sry if u don't agree. I get off early tonight so I can probably get those pms out after nine or ten pm eastern

There is a lot of information buried in this forum and in the Tutorials subforum. Unfortunately it isn't really organized in any way so it takes a while to wade through.

I would also say when you post in this forum, it's pretty hard to get a straight forward answer unless you have a straight forward question. General questions such as "I need help" will get a variety (or lack) of response.

For example, since you mentioned reaction wheels, I can point you to this thread. If you read it (most of anyway, especially starting page 2), it will explain why placement of reaction wheels doesn't matter for maneuverability. It does, however, matter for structural integrity.

If you have questions about particular mods (such as interstellar or things like FAR and deadly reentry), your best bet is usually to go to those specific mod threads. You'll get a faster and more consistent response.

If you're confused about the usefulness of the stock parts, sometimes running a career game can help. It forces you through the parts slowly so you can play with them and test them out. Here is a good example of a probe only career that you can follow through. It helps you to get familiar with the science and probe parts while skipping over some of the complexities/concerns of manned operations. Science collection is way faster with kerbals, but doing probe only will force you to learn a particular branch of the science tree. There's lots of ways to get familiar with the game.

Everyone likes to play the game in different ways, so the probe only science path may be completely uninteresting to you. If you want to do interstellar ships, that's cool. But there's so much to talk about in this game and your question is general enough that we're not sure where to help you get started.

Edited by Claw

Play career mode and don't forget to go to Minmus not the Mun as your first landing spot! It's literally x10 times easier.

It worked for me when i started playing KSP.

At first i was just overwhelmed by the options you got in Sandbox mode. But once your choices are limited you can focus on archiving things with only a few pieces to build rockets with. Sometimes too much options are just confusing, especially for a beginner IMO.

Another thing to do is to read some good tutorials HERE.

I cant say i have read them all, but some where most helpful, like THIS or THIS for example.

I must admit that some things like docking are just annoying and are just frustrating (at least for me). So don't be ashamed to use whatever help (like MechJeb) to make the game easier. Later, you will likely remove stuff like that as you notice that other things aren't so hard as they seemed in the begining.

(i can't say that i have passed that point myself, lol)

Sorry for typos

I've got the methane mod, it's required for KSP. Honestly I'm thinking of stripping the amount of mods. Oh and yes, I kno I stated the question terribly. I'm sry about that, I was at work and trying to be quick. I've seen a couple of scotts vids, I found his methane video but I was still left with questions.

Going probe only doesn't bother me, I feel it would be easier to recover than a manned craft.

Well, I know I asked a stupid question, I suppose I was just lookin for a little direction. I'll be checking the reaction wheel thread pointed out earlier and slim down my mods to kethane, mechjeb, B9, and possibly Far and KW. And they all work with campaign.

ksp interstellar seems confusing at first due to all the new resources, but it really isn't when you get into it :)

I advise the wiki for it, and one thing you might want to set out to do, is land on minmus with a refinery (mine water->hydrogen+oxygen(liquid fuel and oxidiser! :D )

Also i advise playing the game a bit before using FAR as it makes the game quite hard, also Don't use mechjeb until you know how to pilot yourself.

Basically you'll learn everything you need to know through time :D like I did (docking was the hardest until i found navyfish's "docking alignment indicator"

Oh and one last thing, play ksp without mods (start simple but build big things(like bases )), get a feel for the game then slowly add more mods as you feel more confident; good luck!

Edited by Boamere

I've had far and It didn't do much other than give me a menu system to see a bunch of stuff. Maybe I missed something. Also I don't know how u would mine those things, I only know how to mine kethane. I have no idea how to use the refinery nor how to build it into something.

I've got the methane mod, it's required for KSP. Honestly I'm thinking of stripping the amount of mods. Oh and yes, I kno I stated the question terribly. I'm sry about that, I was at work and trying to be quick. I've seen a couple of scotts vids, I found his methane video but I was still left with questions.

Going probe only doesn't bother me, I feel it would be easier to recover than a manned craft.

Well, I know I asked a stupid question, I suppose I was just lookin for a little direction. I'll be checking the reaction wheel thread pointed out earlier and slim down my mods to kethane, mechjeb, B9, and possibly Far and KW. And they all work with campaign.

Don't feel bad for asking a question. And hopefully you aren't feeling beat down by the community for asking. I personally find it hard to give generic advice because this game is so open ended. But I probably over-post when it comes to a topic I know about.

If you are feeling lost and confused, I would suggest slimming down your mods as you (and others) have said. That will probably help us help you a little easier. I don't think there are too many people that browse this forum who have such an array of mods installed. Once you get the idea of the basic game, start adding mods back in. But when you do, make sure you know what you're adding.

Like FAR. It changes the aerodynamic model of the game. So in addition to all the menus and information that pops up, you're going to see different performance from rockets.

I just started a probe only career, and it's been kinda fun. A manned program tends to be a bit quicker with the science return if you're planning career vice sandbox.

• 2 months later...