[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

I think you misunderstood me saying texture compression versus texture halving. I have no problem with, and Naz and I actually tried to do DDS originally (I wanted to use DDS as opposed to TGAs). We weren't able to figure it out until someone suggested to change the referencing manually in the actual file.

So converting to DDS or any other texture compression standard isn't an issue and I encourage it. The issue is with the Alternate Texture download v1.13. That one is a fast solution that really just halves the texture sizes and it was designed for people that do not have the texture compression mod you are using. You then have folks that are using that texture set in addition to the texture compression mod.

I'm an avid supporter of the mod and many times brought it up to Naz that I wanted (and still want and may eventually) do away with the alternate texture download entirely. Folks that want the extra memory space will have to use the texture compression mod.

That being said I never wanted to distribute TGAs. I always wanted to use DDS's from the get go.

[Edit] Had our experiments using DDS worked, you guys would have all been using the equivalent of the textures used by the texture compression mod on "Aggressive" (I wanted to use DXT5 DDS).

So having read this, I decided to take a look at the Active Texture Management plug-in. It's not exactly apparent how it works, but it supposedly converts all the textures you point it at to DDS (or DXT, not exactly sure since I'm not familiar with the file format) but all the files it saves in its cache have no file extension. Maybe it'd be possible to fork this plugin to allow your mod to use DDS natively? By default, the Active Texture Management plug-in halves everything, but correcting it to scale everything 1:1, it does compress your original kerbin_orbiter.tga from 16 MB to just shy of 6 MB as a DDS. According to the this Unity wiki, the engine doesn't support DDS, but apparently user rbray89 has figured something out. Just an idea.

... About chasing the ball with MechJeb.

Nothing overly scientific here but these are my observations for establishing a 100km orbit.

1) I moved the MechJeb component to the surface just aft of the cargo bay doors. the top of the command section has a wee bit of an angle to it. Not saying that this is a stone cold solid lock of a solution but I swear that MechJeb performs better now that the unit is located in a "normal" plane.

2) I linked all the engines to a single toggle for trim control (AG1).

3) I grouped the 200's (AG2) and the 40's (AG3) into individual toggle action groups.

4) Prior to orbital insertion burn I toggle the trim (AG1) and shut down the 40's (AG3). I also shed the external tank even if it has a bit of reserve left in it.

5) Orbital insertion is done with the 200's. Once orbit is established I shut down the 200's (AG2) and activate the 40's (AG3).

I do not chase the ball at all.

YMMV.

Edited by LawnDartLeo

Man! You crank these videos out fast! How do you do it?

I film most of them in one sitting, it's the editing and uploading that I have to find time to do. When I get free time I try to edit and upload as many as I can!

The Twenty-Sixth of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 22nd Flight of the Tenacious! STS 126's objective is to deploy the KSO Eve Space Station Habitat Module #2 and return to the KSC Runway!

The construction and deployment missions run STS 123 through STS 130.

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 127 will deploy the Eve Station Rotating Sleep Module #2!

This right here. It's really a pain to see all the work go into an IVA only to have it blurred to nothing by a texture compression mod. So what's the point?

It takes 10-12 hours sometimes more to get all those little details in with each button. That's not including shadow baking cleanup and such. Then to have it blurred completely essentially killing the work that went into it. Follow me? Which makes me wonder why someone would download KSOS in the first place if they're going to compress it, but that's beside the point.

I hear ya. I really do because I've put time into making parts (not as much as you of course, but I think I can understand the struggle and effort that goes into this). But some of us simply cannot afford nice hardware. I'm still running an AGP video card. A freaking Geforce 8600 GS and a Core Duo (no 64 bit for me . . . that's Core2 Duo) and 3.5 gigabytes of ram.

Us poor folks want to play too. And even us poor folks appreciate your work, even if we've only loaded up the full-res textures one time.

I must say, even with textures downgraded (by internal KSP downsizer, this time), KSO is an impressive piece of work. I wish CSS could have such an IVA. That said, memory woes are a big problem with any high-quality parts pack, thanks to Unity's bone-headed memory handling (32bit, loads everything and doesn't page at all).

can we stop moaning about memory issues and if it hurts someones artistic ego or not? thanks

sorry that was mean but please i hate seeing a new comment posted to this lovely mod thread just to see that it's yet another fellow complaining/agreeing about memory or the lack of it or the loss of detail...

please i just want to see news about THE MOD not the situation of someone's life (unless it's to do with the mod)or their computer woes (yet again unless it's to do with the mod. the most common is the HUD)

anyway leaving that behind us... i hope... HellDriver hows things going with testing? any intresting bugs? (kerbals flying out of cockpit? stations randomly exploding?)

KSO with some of my own boosters and a few minor modifications. I love the texture work on the bundled KSO boosters, but I simply can't find a use for them in my space program. Possibly on another craft.

7C35AA1DD276FA8752497017CA4B16AC20917A34

KSO with some of my own boosters and a few minor modifications. I love the texture work on the bundled KSO boosters, but I simply can't find a use for them in my space program. Possibly on another craft.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/795188902604637142/7C35AA1DD276FA8752497017CA4B16AC20917A34/

I like the way those look.

Right now the wing flaps do nutting, But I think he wanted them to provide extra lift for the glide phase into landing and during normal "stall" speed dead stick landings that the "real" shuttle had to do.

I look forward to when the flap are more than what they are now and function how flaps on a plane work now.

Just a quick update

-Nazari continues to get stuff in game. Everything has been smooth so far minus a few hiccups with Solar Panels.

-Nazari has used some innovative techniques to be able to get all IVAs in game without repeating interiors (saves on installation space and possibly loading).

-Geometric resolution increased on the KSO's tires. I never liked the blocky 12-sided tires it had. Increased to KSP standard 18 sided. They look much better.

-The old standard docking adapter has been changed to be an elbow joint compatible with the coupling parts included in KSOS Satellite (part of Phase II)

-Added a coupling/decoupling adapter to the Observation Module. This part must be installed before putting the Observation Module in orbit. It allows you to more easily maneuver it with the SST into place. Once placed on your station, you can jettison it the old fashion way.

-Added 6-way Octagonal coupling which unfortunately has been cut from Phase II and will be part of Phase III.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Just a quick update

-Nazari continues to get stuff in game. Everything has been smooth so far minus a few hiccups with Solar Panels.

-Nazari has used some innovative techniques to be able to get all IVAs in game without repeating interiors (saves on installation space and possibly loading).

-Geometric resolution increased on the KSO's tires. I never liked the blocky 12-sided tires it had. Increased to KSP standard 18 sided. They look much better.

-The old standard docking adapter has been changed to be an elbow joint compatible with the coupling parts included in KSOS Satellite (part of Phase II)

-Added a coupling/decoupling adapter to the Observation Module. This part must be installed before putting the Observation Module in orbit. It allows you to more easily maneuver it with the SST into place. Once placed on your station, you can jettison it the old fashion way.

-Added 6-way Octagonal coupling which unfortunately has been cut from Phase II and will be part of Phase III.

http://imgur.com/a/yR0UD

if it's ok with you Helldriver i'm renaming the original docking adapter and keeping it... i like it...

Very smart thing to do with that the Observation Module. It wouldn't have made it impossible, but it would've been very hard to install it without making it one of the first parts.

How does everything work out size-wise, btw? We saw the Lab/Hab modules and how they fit in the cargobay. I assume there's also room for at least two docking ports? How long are the Power, Observation and Tug parts? Is there for example room for a 6-way coupling and a Power Module?

Post #1158 of this thread has WIP pictures of a lot of the parts mentioned for phase 2 with names.

Thanks, haven't kept up with the thread, considering the quality shown so far I'm looking forward to giving Phase 2 a whirl once it's released!!!

The Twenty-Seventh of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 23rd Flight of the Tenacious! STS 127's objective is to deploy the KSO Eve Space Station Rotating 'Sleep' Module #2 and return to the KSC Runway!

The construction and deployment missions run STS 123 through STS 130.

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 128 will deploy the Eve Station Propulsion Module!