[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

bump anyone

You need to be clear on what you are doing in your launch profile (numbers, when are you releasing the LRB's and so on).

I'll be putting up a video shortly of a simple launch using the v-006 craft file and a simple satellite.

1) Turn on SAS

2) Engines to full

3) Launch

4) At 1000m, bank towards your back (assuming you used the included v-006 craft file), bank to approximately 5°.

5) Gradually continue banking up to 20°. Do not bank to more than 40°.

6) At 6000m start monitoring your LRBs.

7) Once LRB reaches 0 fuel, 1 second afterword hit Space bar to release them.

8) After LRBs are released continue banking back, up to 60° gradually.

9) As you ascend and reach your desired Apoapsis gradually bank towards the horizon, about 75-80°

10) Enter Map mode (M key) and monitor your Apoapsis. Once your Apoapsis hits 72-75km cut off power.

11) Do your circularization maneuver. Continue coasting until you're almost at Apoapsis. I do my circularization burn at about T-20

12) Monitor your fuel resources. The tank should be empty once your Liquid fuel is about 360. Stop burning momentarily, detach from the EFT, and use RCS to maneuver away.

13) Continue your circularization burn until at the desired altitude.

Unless you're using FAR or other physics affecting mods, the above procedure should work each time.

If you are taking up a heavy load, your bank angle should be less and your gravity turn would have a steeper profile (as opposed to an empty KSO which you could probably start turning towards 40° at 1000m). The guides in the zip assume an empty shuttle for practice.

I don't recommend taking up heavy loads (heavier than 1-ton) for your first practices or on a treasured save. Practice with the KSO empty and at different fuel quantities until you're used to how it handles.

The KSO is meant to be "plug and play" ready even for beginner KSP players. But it can be difficult to master and the numbers and challenge can be thrown way off if you change your cargo weight.

Several of the complaints are coming from folks that are either running a physics changing mod (such as FAR, or DRE), or are overloading it and expecting it to handle the same as the included manual...

As stated in the manual, Murika Superstellar will not replace a damaged or broken KSO do to negligence, pilot error, or inexperience.

Edited by helldiver

Has anyone experienced an issue with this mod where you launch the game and the loading screen appears and runs through to the point where the main menu should appear, but KSP just crashes back to the desktop instead with no error message? I've been unable to get my KSP install to load with KSO so far without removing KSO.

I have the following mods:

Kethane

KSPI

KAS

KOS

Hooligan's Airships

Texture Replacer with 4k Kerbin Textures

Clouds and City Lights

Active Memory Reducer (Basic, not Aggressive)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm eager to try this one out!

Thanks!

Russ.

Hmmm ... this question comes up A LOT. Maybe ... maybe ... it's because he didn't design his shuttle to booster forty tons into space. It's actually a little larger than Bac9's Mk2 fuselage internally. It damn near fits two meter parts. You can always get Bac9 if your dream is a plane the size of a building instead of asking Helldiver to stop making things he wants to and make things you want him to. Plus, I have a practical reason for him to avoid this kind of request. .There are a large number of part packs that focus on larger and larger and larger ships/rockets. 0.24 is supposed to have 6m+ pieces. This fits the bill for anyone who wants a smaller space program. It fills a void other mods don't.

You could also just use a rocket instead.

The main reason that many parts packs focus on larger and larger parts are because our payloads are getting larger and larger. The interplanetary vessels of today dwarf the interplanetary vessels of 0.17; and because of this, launch vehicles are following suit. And besides, if you don't like the big shuttle, none of us are forcing you to use it.

You're a serious inspiration and really one of several factors keeping me enthused.

Are you using the default textures or the low res pack?

You can resize cockpit_interior_norm_NRM.tga to 1024 I believe without much loss in visual fidelity. Then use the standard 4096x4096 cockpit_interior.tga and it should make all your text much clearer in the cockpit.

Wish I had a solution for the HUD issue, but at least Mihara is aware of it.

I've got everything on full blast haha. No reductions or anything. I should probably just zoom in more. I use a 27'' monitor so they look decently clear to me. Thanks for the comments I love the mod and am just trying to do it some justice!

What is the 'trick' to get parts to attach to either the top or bottom node in the cargo bay?? In the VAB i open the cargo bay and try to attach various items to either of the node attachment points, but they never snap and go green. Also, all parts tend to flip to a horizontal orientation as well.

I am sure there is a simple answer, and I thank whomever can give it to me.

Best wishes and thanks for the mod....

What is the 'trick' to get parts to attach to either the top or bottom node in the cargo bay??

The only way I was able to get non-KSO-proprietary parts to like those attachment nodes was to clip the VAB camera inside the Cargo Bay from behind. That way there was nothing in front of the camera and whatever I was attaching "snapped" in just right.

H'mmm, ok. I will try that. I have also found that I have some luck with small object. Small enough that they do not come anywhere close to touching any of the sides. If a part is even close to touching, it seems to freak out.

Thanks for the information and help.

One more thing, has anyone edited / modified the .cfg for the cargobay to activate / allow usage of the center 'attachment' point in the bay? Both end units are 'dockable' and I would like to do same for the one in the middle on the bottom.

again, thanks to all.

Mechjeb.....

VAB

1) install Dtobi's engine mod (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55985-0-23-07-Feb-Space-Shuttle-Engines-V1-1-NEW-Sparkers-and-improved-gimbal-logic)

2) install fuel vents on LRB's

3) set both fuel vents to an unused action group, set vents to open (not toggle, this is a one way ticket to empty tanks)

4) set shuttle main engines to an unused action group, set engines to shutdown (not toggle, we don't want them any more after we are coasting to orbital altitude)

5) add Mechjeb module

In game

1) select and enable Mechjeb ascent guidance

2) 100 km orbit seems about ideal, limit to terminal velocity, auto stage on, auto warp off

3) enable autopilot

4) ingnition and clamp release

5) when LRB's are a few pixels from empty activate their action group. When they drain completely, Mechjeb auto staging will handle them correctly).

6) when into coasting phase, activate main engine action group to shut them down completely.

It's all academic after that for orbital insertion.

Working on a launch profile for KoS, challenging automation that requires some thought rather than the automaticity of Mechjeb. Personally I like anything that automates my flights because lets face it... in reality this is all computer controlled anyways.

Has anyone experienced an issue with this mod where you launch the game and the loading screen appears and runs through to the point where the main menu should appear, but KSP just crashes back to the desktop instead with no error message? I've been unable to get my KSP install to load with KSO so far without removing KSO.

I have the following mods:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm eager to try this one out!

I had similar issues. Installing this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-7-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod helped me out. It reduced the texture sizes for several mods, and thus the memory footprint of KSP allowing everything to load properly.

H'mmm, ok. I will try that. I have also found that I have some luck with small object. Small enough that they do not come anywhere close to touching any of the sides. If a part is even close to touching, it seems to freak out.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/38768-0-23-Editor-Extensions-v0-6-5-Aug-(EdTools-Editor-Tools-replacement)

If you install this you can turn radial attachment on and off using Ctrl+R. Makes the process very easy. Also useful for things like vertical snapping, extra symmetry options, etc. Never build without it.

I had similar issues. Installing this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-7-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod helped me out. It reduced the texture sizes for several mods, and thus the memory footprint of KSP allowing everything to load properly.

I'm not sure if it was a memory issue, I tried removing some other mods which didn't change anything plus I'm already running the Active Memory Reduction mod. I'm wondering if there's a code clash of some kind.

Also, with stock you can "turn off" radial attaching by placing a part that can't be radially attached to (I generally use the Roundified Monopropellan Tank) where your mouse would go, then attaching the fuel tank or whatever, then removing the monoprop tank. A bit convoluted though.

I have directly attached jr docking ports to the front of the cargo bay, but it's much easier to attach a small battery or the tiny fuel tank before attaching the docking port. I've also found it easier to build the ship outside of the cargo hold and bring it in as a sub assembly.

What is the 'trick' to get parts to attach to either the top or bottom node in the cargo bay?? In the VAB i open the cargo bay and try to attach various items to either of the node attachment points, but they never snap and go green. Also, all parts tend to flip to a horizontal orientation as well.

I am sure there is a simple answer, and I thank whomever can give it to me.

Best wishes and thanks for the mod....

I attach a stock part like a battery to the node first. Then I can attach a docking port. It is even easier to build your cargo hold vehicle as a separate craft and bring it in via subassembly.

I take a new vab craft, start with a probe core, attach a battery below it, then a docking port, then a connected docking port (facing the first), and then the rest of the craft.

I then detach everything from the probe (battery and docking ports down) and save them as a subassembly.

Load the shuttle, load the subassembly, and attach!

In addition to this, is there an alternate download? I downloaded the one from Spaceport a couple of times but the download was corrupt.
When I try to open the zip file, it days that it can not be opened as an archive. This happened with KW from spaceport as well, but not KW from media-fire. Can you out up a mirror for the main download?

Do to the frequent updates currently (although I don't expect any updates for a while), I had to maintain only the Spaceport archive. Once things settle down a lot further I'll mirror it to MediaFire.

I've got everything on full blast haha. No reductions or anything. I should probably just zoom in more. I use a 27'' monitor so they look decently clear to me. Thanks for the comments I love the mod and am just trying to do it some justice!

Hrm, strange. Something weird is going on. Did you download the alternate low resolution texture pack or are you running the texture reduction mod? I can tell by your MFD and gauge numbers and text being clear. Yet your panel lettering is blurred as if it's using the 2048 version. Just wondering if the distribution has the correct textures. Mind taking an in-game screenshot and posting?

Edited by helldiver

Mechjeb.....

VAB

1) install Dtobi's engine mod (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55985-0-23-07-Feb-Space-Shuttle-Engines-V1-1-NEW-Sparkers-and-improved-gimbal-logic)

2) install fuel vents on LRB's

3) set both fuel vents to an unused action group, set vents to open (not toggle, this is a one way ticket to empty tanks)

4) set shuttle main engines to an unused action group, set engines to shutdown (not toggle, we don't want them any more after we are coasting to orbital altitude)

5) add Mechjeb module

In game

1) select and enable Mechjeb ascent guidance

2) 100 km orbit seems about ideal, limit to terminal velocity, auto stage on, auto warp off

3) enable autopilot

4) ingnition and clamp release

5) when LRB's are a few pixels from empty activate their action group. When they drain completely, Mechjeb auto staging will handle them correctly).

6) when into coasting phase, activate main engine action group to shut them down completely.

It's all academic after that for orbital insertion.

Working on a launch profile for KoS, challenging automation that requires some thought rather than the automaticity of Mechjeb. Personally I like anything that automates my flights because lets face it... in reality this is all computer controlled anyways.

What are these vents you speak off I have that pack but cant see anything labeled vents