[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Question about the thrusters: what does the "Speed" slider affect? By default it's set to 60, but I've seen you guys crank it to 100 in the project introduction video. Am I missing out on something massively important by leaving it at 60?

The Fifteenth of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and Eleventh Flight of the Tenacious! STS 115's objectives are to complete KSO Space Station Construction Phase VII by deploying and installing the KSO Greenhouse Module #2, which can feed kerbals and allow them to study snack science, then transfer four kerbals into the habitat modules, and return to the KSC runway. The KSO Space Station will contain one additional planned module, which will be brought up in the next KSO shuttle mission. Upon completion, the KSO Space Station will hold 14 Kerbals, two green houses, one telescope, a single-kerbal science lab, and over 8,000 units each of liquid fuel and oxidizer.

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 116 Will bring up the KSO Space Station Docking Bay Module, the final module!

I asked earlier in the thread about why it is so 'difficult' to try and load anything into the cargo bay. Several people chimed in and told me to use the different editor and to switch symmetry or such. Ok, I am just trying to understand WHAT is causing this, and to get a better handle on it. Can someone please give me a little more info? I appreciate the 'work around', but I would like much better to try and figure out why something is happening rather than just getting around it.

Thanks to all....

I asked earlier in the thread about why it is so 'difficult' to try and load anything into the cargo bay. Several people chimed in and told me to use the different editor and to switch symmetry or such. Ok, I am just trying to understand WHAT is causing this, and to get a better handle on it. Can someone please give me a little more info? I appreciate the 'work around', but I would like much better to try and figure out why something is happening rather than just getting around it.

Thanks to all....

Basically, the part most people start with is a docking port, which is capable of being surface-attached, which means that when you drag the part over from the menu to the ship, it will try to stick it to whatever is underneath the mouse, and only snap it onto a stack node in the case that your mouse cursor is hovering close to an available node, and not over a part to which it is possible to surface-attach something.

I.E. if your mouse is pointing at the back of the cargo bay, or at the end-cap of the cargo bay, it will try to mount it there instead of on the stack node.

Editor Extensions allows you to turn off this behaviour, and only use stack nodes.

Burying your camera view in weird places allows you to effectively look out of the bay, so your mouse isn't over any part of the cargo bay part, so it jumps to a stack node instead.

I hope that's clear?

Thanks, that helps... It gives me something to go on and work with... For some reason Editor Extensions was causing buggy conditions and I had to remove it... I hope I can find a way to make this work without having to use the EE.

Again, thanks.

Thanks, that helps... It gives me something to go on and work with... For some reason Editor Extensions was causing buggy conditions and I had to remove it... I hope I can find a way to make this work without having to use the EE.

Again, thanks.

Buggy like how? Is it possible you pressed one of the behaviour-changing controls without knowing and caused some other mode to activate unintentionally? The main controls are probably Tab to switch between SPH/VAB symmetry, Alt-R to toggle radial attachment, and the usual C/Shift-C, X/Shift-X to go through the levels of symmetry and angle snap. In any case, I believe helldiver has mentioned they'll be looking to fix the radial attachment issue with stock installs and the payload bay somewhere.

Is there a way to disable the rasterpropmonitor pluggin part of the shuttle without breaking it? I love the shuttle, but I'm getting some odd framerate loss, and tracked it back to raster. I started a fresh install of ksp, and tried one mod at a time, and found the issue was coming from the shuttle mod. I then tried each underling mechanic by its self, where I could, firespitter plugin worked fine by itself, with the actual propeller mod that uses it, and I tested raster by itself, and it started the framerate issues. oddly, this is most noticeable when in orbit or landing and launching from minmus, and I don't know why.

Is there a way to disable the rasterpropmonitor pluggin part of the shuttle without breaking it? I love the shuttle, but I'm getting some odd framerate loss, and tracked it back to raster. I started a fresh install of ksp, and tried one mod at a time, and found the issue was coming from the shuttle mod. I then tried each underling mechanic by its self, where I could, firespitter plugin worked fine by itself, with the actual propeller mod that uses it, and I tested raster by itself, and it started the framerate issues. oddly, this is most noticeable when in orbit or landing and launching from minmus, and I don't know why.

Just tried deleting the RPM, ScanSat, and MechJeb components of the mod and everything seems fine at first glance.

Just tried deleting the RPM, ScanSat, and MechJeb components of the mod and everything seems fine at first glance.

I was going to try that later, I have some flights in progress and I'd prefer not to invite the Kraken in as it were... :wink:

Thought I would post my newest cinematic here too because it has this amazing space shuttle in it!

Not to be too harsh but it showcases a substantial imbalance between style and substance. Decent shots and effects, but it is unclear if you had any overall objective. Are you showing off KSP? KSO? An accomplishment? Was it supposed to end in midair for no discernible reason? It honestly looks like you overshot the runway, were unwilling to shoot additional footage and packed it in. It's salvageable as a practice project but would need considerable work to be anything more.

I liked the vid, but a landing after that would've been good - the KSO can overshoot and do a U-turn, after all.

Like in my STS 116 video! Haha

The Sixteenth of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and Twelfth Flight of the Tenacious! STS 116's objectives are to complete KSO Space Station Construction Phase VIII by deploying and installing the KSO Docking Bay Module, which houses a scaled down science lab, then transfer Bob back into KSO Tenacious, and return to the KSC runway. The KSO Space Station is complete! The KSO Space Station holds 14 Kerbals, two green houses, one telescope, a single-kerbal science lab, and over 8,000 units each of liquid fuel and oxidizer.

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 117 Will send a probe to the surface of Eve!

Edited by Westi29

Upgrading the fore and aft RCS capability by adding linear thrusters. The forward-facing thrusters are placed radially on top of the payload bay in 4x symmetry, and the rear-facing ones in 2x symmetry for one pair and a good deal of OCD fiddling for that bottom set.

7etbbAD.jpg

Not to be too harsh but it showcases a substantial imbalance between style and substance. Decent shots and effects, but it is unclear if you had any overall objective. Are you showing off KSP? KSO? An accomplishment? Was it supposed to end in midair for no discernible reason? It honestly looks like you overshot the runway, were unwilling to shoot additional footage and packed it in. It's salvageable as a practice project but would need considerable work to be anything more.

Well, I honestly don't have enough time to make a full ksp film. It's just waaay to time consuming, this short "clip" took believe it or not about 6 hours to make. I wasn't able to do the landing because I would have to use a joystick to make it look somewhat smooth and good, WASD controls just makes it look horrible. I know there's no real point in the film, but i mainly do these cinematics because I love editing, and after all like Nazari1382 said, you can always just do a U -turn!

A montage of all of the STS Space Station Construction Missions: STS 108 though STS 116. The KSO Space Station holds 14 Kerbals, two green houses, one telescope, a single-kerbal science lab, and over 8,000 units each of liquid fuel and oxidizer.

Most of the footage is shown in 8x speed for quick viewing.