Mun Machine! Noob at work

drew4452862

33nyxd5.png

So I tried making a massive space ship and failed. So now I am sending up ships to a hub orbiting to moon, to do all sorts of space stuff from. The fuel containers not part of the central hub need to be recycled (crashed into moon) and there is a unit for KAS mod, which will allow me to put struts and fuel lines in.

How do you guys destroy your stuff? Trying to avoid space trash (debri)

For removing debris I simply use the Tracking Station. At the top of the screen I filter out the debris and either terminate (destroy) or recover the part.

Does the tracking station not delete the craft that the debris came from? I was under that impression for the longest time.

To keep a certain level of realism I never destroy debris remotely using the tracking station. I either recover them if they've landed on kerbin, or I use another vessel to clean up by grabbing them and setting them onto a sub orbital course for them to be destroyed by crashing onto the planet.

However that applies only if the debris has a docking port... Which means I currently have lots of debris in space :D

Might install that mod eventually that allows you to hook up to stuff.

If a piece of debris is capable of deorbiting (with whatever "usual" physical means), then I usually terminate it in the tracking station to save the trouble of simply watching it. (Unless I'm feeling bored or want to mess around with it.)

If the piece of debris isn't capable of deorbit without external assistance (i.e. it is out of fuel or has no engines), then I leave it till I can get around to cleaning it up.

Although now that I have some more experience, I try to design my flights and time decoupling to not leave debris.

I'm doing my best to avoid leaving debris in Kerbin's SoI. Usually i try to time my burns and staging so discarded parts will enter the atmosphere, or smash into surface of relevant moon. If it is on escape trajectory...good riddance :) It can orbit Kerbol for the rest of eternity (or until next version comes out and i switch to it).

I keep tabs on my periapsis and make sure that I stage my final lifter stage when its under 70k, then ignore it. It'll eventually go down. In the final part of my lifter stage, I have MJ and a control part that allows me to force a burn if there is enough fuel if necessary. I set MJ to go into a retrograde burn, light up the candle and switch back to my main ship.

One additional thought is to put a small tank of fuel onto my final stage of my lifter and don't allow fuel to power the engines. That way when I go back to clean up, I re-enable the fuel flow, burn retro, and deorbit.

thanks for the tips. I totally messed up and had my space station way to high.

Small Science vessels couldn't get back... so do you guys use cheats for silly errors like that? Kind of seems lame to relaunch a rocket to save \ redo the station

I try to find in-game solutions to problems like this, like sending up an engine module to correct the stations orbit. Or attaching probes to my upper stages, so they can self-destruct in the atmosphere when they're done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.