[SHOWCASE] What craft of yours killed, lost, or stranded the most Kerbals?

Cobalt60

The first time I tried to decommission an eight kerbal Multi-part-rocket I put the entire crew into their individual pods and jettisoned them in the atmosphere; half of them slammed into the rocket, and the other half got lost.

I learned a lot that day.

EDIT: I only lost four in total; one crew member jettisoned while in orbit of the Mun, and had to push his capsule back to Kerbin. While three of the other seven survived reentry.

Edited by UrstMcRedhead

jJ3P7dw.jpg

My first ever attempt at a full size Saturn V. This picture was taken shortly before a spontaneous explosion of the second stage attributed to lack of struts. Later versions of the rocket worked much better. RIP Glitop, Munlas, and Geofwig.

So far, I haven't killed anyone. I've had a few landing mishaps with Jeb, where the computer incorrectly states that he has been killed. He always comes back home though a few days later, ready for another mission.

One of the great mysteries of Kerbal Space Program. :)

Counting reverts/quickloads i've probably driven the Kerbal race to the brink of extinction by now. My most recent run through with KSPI and FAR is proving particularly dangerous, with many launches somersaulting through the 13-16km mark, I can generally recover and orbit these, though its happened so frequently I started removing the kerbals from these flights. (hvy reactors in payloads tend to leave me very high CoM).

The single most lethal design was a 45 kerbal capacity orbital station that i launched in a single piece. I had filled the hitch-hikers to check capacity and forgot to empty them for the usual unmanned launch. An ejected booster at 29km clipped the tail and tore off a radial engine and a few fins. The resulting instability sent the rocket into a flatspin which I could only recover by abandoning an entire half-burned stage, this left the design unable to stabilise its orbit and it re-entered (with DRE and without intent == DOOM!)

The most dangerous designs I have that actually see regular use is any of my shuttles. Jet aircraft dont prove bothersome, neither do traditional spaceplanes. These shuttles however are pure rocket engine, TWR>1 with a token lifting surface to stabilise them through the FAR atmosphere. Thankfully I now have a crew abort system on these that will save passengers from 1km or greater altitudes. They still regularly kill pilots below that mark though when they roll off the runway edge or backflip on rotation at liftoff.

txX8CsNs.jpgpQmTOQGs.jpg This is the culprit... all stock parts, likes to wipe crews out at liftoff

Edited by celem

My highest kill count "at once" was a rescue mission from the Mun. I had stranded 3 Kerbals there, and sent another 3 with a Hitchhiker to pick them up. The plan had been to parachute back into Kerbin and use my remaining fuel to soften the landing, as I hadn't added enough chutes. Incompetence ensues and I make it back to Kerbin interface with all the Kerbals but no fuel. I decided to attempt to save them by separating the hitchhiker from the command pod and have them parachute down independently and hopefully slow enough to survive. So I detach them just before 31km up and deploy the chutes on both. Except the chutes for the hitchhiker didn't deploy. I wait, and wait, hitchhiker is about 1.8km away from the pod now, still don't see them deploying. I switch over to the hitchhiker and find I actually didn't install chutes. Great so these 3 are dead, I think and switch back to the pod. Except it won't let me. I look for the pod... which has despawned because it was on rails below the despawn altitude. I get to spend the next couple of minutes cursing myself and the game as I watch the now lonely hitchhiker plummet to it's death.

But the vehicle which has killed the most Kerbals was this guy:

9blBT8T.png

I took multiple copies to the Mun for each iteration, would run out of RCS fuel at way too high up, bail out and try to slow down using the EVA fuel before impacting into the Munar dust. Lost 12 Kerbals in those tests, one screaming green dude at a time.

Killed during early vehicle testing:

668 on the vl-340 first takeoff test, why I put a small city in (no lawn chairs) a prototype spaceplane is a good question.

77, including Jeb, on the Applied Phlogistics Aerotitan tail landing test (should have known it wouldn't work).

146 during the attempt to update the vl-330 to .23 (b9 landing gears are much less stable).

36 trying an emergency landing of the vl-210 hypersonic airliner in mountainous terrain.

Many 1-3 man crews lost. At least 3 died on Duna reentry.

Kerbal stranded in EVA on solar escape trajectory. Rescue ship broke engines.

Career:

kerbal lost on mun, died in jetpack accident.

Bob was unintentionally in the rescue cockpit intended to get Jeb back to Kerbin from low Mun orbit. Bob sacrificed himself (at least I haven't rescued him yet) to retrieve Jeb and his science.

Kerbal killed in first jet aircraft test to takeoff (in FAR).

Overall, I would say that I have killed about 1200 Kerbals. Half in a single mission.

Kill count by body;

Mun: 3 (was a botched rescue mission)

Minmus: 1 (The immortals are on permanent exile here)

Moho: 6 (3 stuck in orbit) The delta V is a harsh mistress.

Duna: 1 (the parachutes, they do nothing! 4 stuck safely on the surface)

Dres: 0 (1 stranded)

Laythe: 1 (1 lives on the beach as well)

Vall: 3 (poor inclination)

Eeloo: 0 (3 just to prove I could go there)

I don't count anything that does not leave atmosphere in the first place as a death due to reverts, but in this game I have never quicksaved/loaded it just feels like cheating to me and it ruins the quick thinking I have to do. That's what makes this fun.

Kerbin: 3 (Parachutes ripped off, there was no plan B)

Edited by KingBean
Turns out yeah, someone died on Duna.

This plane's prototype killed 13 kerbals on its maiden flight, and even more in different accidents. Took a lot of time to make it safe.

7NVDQZn.png

And this one killed like 20 pilots while doing various test-flights.

IIYiX3h.png

Edited by jmiki8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.