[0.23] Kalculator: use your own math!

wmvanvliet

One of the big joys of Kerbal Space Program is that game progress is not based on experience points, or character level, but based on your own knowledge about orbital mechanics. Maybe this is why I don't like using MechJeb much, its free progress in the game.

Inspired by Scott Manley's videos about 'orbital mechanics on paper', I spend an afternoon thoroughly enjoying myself deriving various formulae. Oh, how much fun the creators of MechJeb must have had with it themselves.

So I created a mod that lets you put your own formulae in KSP and named it Kalculator. It is a small plugin that allows you to program mathematical equations, run them to see the output and create maneuver nodes. Of course, your calculations need various inputs (like the mass of the body you're currently orbiting, the value of the gravitational constant, etc.) and for this, Kalculator aims to strike a balance between providing enough useful variables to be productive, and not supply too much information and rob you of the joy of calculating things for yourself. The current guideline is that Kalculator gives you access to all the various numbers that appear in the vanilla KSP GUI.

Kalculator is still a bit rough along the edges, but I'm curious to see what you think and whether there is an actual need such this kind of mod.

So, what are you waiting for?

1. Download the plugin or Get the source code
  2. Read the manual
  3. And start learning interesting math

screenshot2.png

Author: Marijn van Vliet

License: GPL v3

EDIT: first bug already reported and fixed. Sometimes the Run button didn't work on Windows. Version is now 0.11

Edited by wmvanvliet
Added author and license information

This is already a thing, you know that, right?

There is a already a mod that does this? Which one?

I know that there is KOS, which aims to supply a Kerbal scripting language, and there is ProgCom that emulates a CPU you can program with assembly code. Both of them are capable of performing some math, but their main focus lies elsewhere. Kalculator just wants to do math, and do it well.

So, it turns out there is already a mod named Kalculator by agises. A very nice looking calculator, go check it out.

I've decided to rename this project 'Kerbulator' instead and created a new thread for it as I cannot change the title of this thread.

Is it toolbar compatible?

You'll be glad to hear that now, Kerbulator supports blizzy78's toolbar! I've spend some time making pretty icons for the thing and it looks much better now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.