Kerbal Construction Time/StageRecovery Dev Thread

magico13

And now my original everything locked up bug reared its head, here's logs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cbhdy3rtk502sm2/AACYCBRbKgsIqT98yDnp8gg9a

I know how to reproduce, immediately following a rescue Kerbal from orbit mission, go into your persistence file and change the Kerbal's name. I do this with FF and so my kerbals' all have unique names. I dislike them all being Kerman. for some reason with this mod, if I change the kerbals name, and only a kerbal rescued through contracts, I get this bug.

Edit: and if you just delete the unique spawned kerbals from the game, the whole game locks up. Its the weirdest thing. I'm not sure what's going on, 'cause if I remove this mod, I don't get this issue at all. I found a semi-acceptable work around for now, I just clone the stats of the rescued kerbal onto a random recruit, give them the name I want and kill the spawned kerbal with permadeath mode on, he's gone for good. my space program takes a rep hit but what can you do.

Edited by vardicd

KCT is an awesome mod, but there's something that bugs me since 23.5: the windows don't remain closed! Every time I enter the VAB, KCT window is opened. Every time I load a new craft, KCT window opens itself. Even on the KSC view sometimes KCT window opens to alert me to spend my upgrade points, even if I have NO UPGRADE POINTS! This behaviour sometimes drives me nuts... hehehe. Do I need to upload a log to you or it's an known bug or intended behaviour?

Another thing is that every time I go to a simulation (using .24 x64), the upper right stock menu gets messed for the rest of the session. I have to get out to the main menu and load the save again to fix it. Will collect pictures and the log next time I play to upload to you.

Logs may help with the second issue (menu issue), the first are "intentional" in that it is supposed to happen since KCT doesn't remember what windows were open or closed. The first run window appearing in the KSC should not be happening though, that is a bug. Is that with 0.24? Or were you seeing that with 0.23.5 only? I thought I had fixed that for 0.24. I can try to set up stuff to have it remember if windows were opened or closed within the same game session, so if you close it in the VAB it won't reappear until you make it appear or game restart.

And now my original everything locked up bug reared its head, here's logs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cbhdy3rtk502sm2/AACYCBRbKgsIqT98yDnp8gg9a

I know how to reproduce, immediately following a rescue Kerbal from orbit mission, go into your persistence file and change the Kerbal's name. I do this with FF and so my kerbals' all have unique names. I dislike them all being Kerman. for some reason with this mod, if I change the kerbals name, and only a kerbal rescued through contracts, I get this bug.

Edit: and if you just delete the unique spawned kerbals from the game, the whole game locks up. Its the weirdest thing. I'm not sure what's going on, 'cause if I remove this mod, I don't get this issue at all. I found a semi-acceptable work around for now, I just clone the stats of the rescued kerbal onto a random recruit, give them the name I want and kill the spawned kerbal with permadeath mode on, he's gone for good. my space program takes a rep hit but what can you do.

I will take a look and see if I can find anything. A quick glance shows that the stock game is very mad about you changing the Kerbal's name. It can't save the RescueKerbal contract and there's a mention of unlocking the UI. I'll let you know what specifically I can find.

Edit: I'm curious as to what would happen if you changed the Kerbal name in the contract from Lobo Kerman to Lobo Wolfe (find this line in the persistence: kerbalName = Lobo Kerman). At least, next time you rename a Kerbal from a contract, try changing the kerbalName in the contract too and see if it still happens. I'm still looking through the log to see if I can find anything, but mostly there are just issues with the contract system and trying to save the RescueKerbal contract. Changing that name may allow it to save properly.

Also, I don't see anything in the log you gave earlier that would indicate why the reputation would reset after a simulation. It's likely just a visual bug. If anyone else reports similar issues I'll look into it more.

Edited by magico13

Sorry for all the small updates lately guys, there's just been a lot of small things that I didn't want to wait for a big release to add, or that I've been making adjustments and fixes to over time.

This update (PR7.0.4) changes a few things:

1. Editing of vessels has been re-enabled. The fix was remarkably simple (thankfully), but I haven't done a lot of in-depth testing so there's a chance that there's a bug lurking in there somewhere.

2. It is now possible to disable the recovery messages, or all of the messages in the settings. The messages I'm talking about are the ones integrated with the stock messaging system (that contracts use to say they're complete)

3. The Build List and Editor windows now retain their visibility within a game session. If you hide the editor window, it shouldn't reappear until you either make it appear yourself or restart KSP. Same with the Build List window.

4. The current state of the auto-update notifications is listed in the first run dialog. It is always available (and can be dis/enabled) in the Settings menu.

Edit: I'm curious as to what would happen if you changed the Kerbal name in the contract from Lobo Kerman to Lobo Wolfe (find this line in the persistence: kerbalName = Lobo Kerman). At least, next time you rename a Kerbal from a contract, try changing the kerbalName in the contract too and see if it still happens. I'm still looking through the log to see if I can find anything, but mostly there are just issues with the contract system and trying to save the RescueKerbal contract. Changing that name may allow it to save properly.

Also, I don't see anything in the log you gave earlier that would indicate why the reputation would reset after a simulation. It's likely just a visual bug. If anyone else reports similar issues I'll look into it more.

Yeah I saw that line in the contract persistanace I'm going to look into that after some sleep. I think the rep reset was visual. it seemed to reset to the correct value the next time I earned rep.

Getting some weird issues with 7.0.3 and vehicular recovery; not sure if it's related in any way to your code magico; still testing; but it's involving recovering Jeb on EVA or while splashed down not actually recovering. Will advise shortly (game eating up 11.7 gigs of ram using 64 bit on my home computer; same install on my laptop with 6 gigs of ram; little slow loading). I have a log file throwing same name exceptions in Unity. Thought I'd give you a heads-up though as your mod is the only one I have installed that touches recovery code in any way.

Ya think? My modlist is stupidly large though and I'm running everything maxed out at 1920x1080 (full res, max AA, fallback shaders, etc). Though I agree that it shouldn't balloon that much. If I could get OpenGL to play nicely without crashing on startup due to failed module initialization I'd be happy.

Logs may help with the second issue (menu issue), the first are "intentional" in that it is supposed to happen since KCT doesn't remember what windows were open or closed. The first run window appearing in the KSC should not be happening though, that is a bug. Is that with 0.24? Or were you seeing that with 0.23.5 only?

It happend in 23.5, in .24 x64 I'm not sure, didn't remember happening. Will pay attention next session I play. The menu issue suddenly disappeared after I updated a bunch of mods in .24, but it was still the KCT 7.0.3. But another issue started to happen: Simulation behaves very weird, locking camera and stage selection (on the left side menu) and sometimes even showing kerbin from the space without me selecting the "start from orbit" option. If I hit M, camera focus on Kerbol. I can revert normally to the VAB. When I revert to the launch, though, it goes normally to the launch site, focusing on the ship and without locking the cam or the stage menu, but it don't quite remember the craft right. Log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f551kyuoh9nfpc/output_log.txt

Will update to 7.0.4 and report what happens.

I thought I had fixed that for 0.24. I can try to set up stuff to have it remember if windows were opened or closed within the same game session, so if you close it in the VAB it won't reappear until you make it appear or game restart.

That would be very nice!

Tried a quick session after updating the mod and got some results! While the bug is still there, I managed to isolate it properly (meaning I tested things properly this time, hehehe). Happens that AV-R8 winglet was causing this, dunno why, though. Tested that other, first winglet that is unlocked and it simulated normally.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Getting some weird issues with 7.0.3 and vehicular recovery; not sure if it's related in any way to your code magico; still testing; but it's involving recovering Jeb on EVA or while splashed down not actually recovering.

If you can get me a log from this happening I'll gladly take a look and see if I can find something.

But another issue started to happen: Simulation behaves very weird, locking camera and stage selection (on the left side menu) and sometimes even showing kerbin from the space without me selecting the "start from orbit" option.

People have reported similar issues in the past but I have never been able to track it down. I'll keep trying, but I'm not sure I'll be able to solve this quickly since I can't reproduce it myself and people who report it often have so many mods installed that it's almost impossible for me to get the same testing environment set up.

It would be great if you could support KSP-AVC.

It looks quite useful, especially for mods that update quite often (and for players with lots of mods like me, where it takes ages to check for updates :))

KCT has it's own built in update checker, but adding support for this should be pretty easy. It should be in the next version assuming I have it setup correctly. If you don't feel like waiting, just add this file to your KerbalConstructionTime folder. Then you will notified to the next update with that plugin or with KCT's version checker.

Tried a quick session after updating the mod and got some results! While the bug is still there, I managed to isolate it properly (meaning I tested things properly this time, hehehe). Happens that AV-R8 winglet was causing this, dunno why, though. Tested that other, first winglet that is unlocked and it simulated normally.

Looking through the earlier log, there are errors with DangIt that seem to occur first. DangIt says that it is incompatible with FAR and the solution is to remove the control surface cfg from DangIt. That may be the problem. I'm going to test on my own to see if I can reproduce this.

FAR / NEAR Game crashes on launchpad Remove the control surface cfg from DangIt

Damn! Or should I say dang...? Yap, I knew about that, but I completely forgot to delete that file on my .24 install. I'm so sorry that I made you look through my log about that!:(

Well, hopefully that was the only source of the problem!

I had to put out another small update again just so the CompatibilityChecker wouldn't keep freaking out about KSP 0.24.1. If you're getting notifications that KCT doesn't work with the current version of KSP, then you'll need to update to make those go away. If Squad releases another small update again it shouldn't be a problem. There may be a couple issues with the fact that prices of some parts changed, as any old vessels may not have the right cost saved to them (meaning you may gain or lose a couple hundred funds when you launch them).

This update also has a small change to the update checker to ensure that it won't check for updates before the user has had a chance to disable it (but you have to go into the Settings menu from the first run window).

It also adds support for the KSP-AVC plugin for automatic update checking.

Does this mod essentially only allow you to select Jeb as your pilot, unless he is off on another mission?

Only stumbling block for me in an otherwise brilliant mod

If you hit "Fill" it will put Jeb in the seat, but there is another option above that ("Add" I think? I don't have the mod open right now) that allows you to select any kerb you have on your roster

Does this mod essentially only allow you to select Jeb as your pilot, unless he is off on another mission?

If you click on the Add button for a specific seat you can select your crewmembers individually. The "Fill" and "Fill All" buttons just put kerbals into seats first come-first served (Jeb, then Bill, then Bob, then the first recruit, etc). If when clicking the Add button only Jeb is available, but you know you have other free kerbals, then that is a bug and I'd appreciate it if you could get me a copy of the output_log.txt file. Hopefully that's not the case, I recently reworked the crew selection code so it would stop being totally buggy.

Further testing yesterday, which I couldn't report 'cause my internet decieded to take a vacation, once the contract is complete, I can go into the contract and change the kerbal's name and it stays stable.

Further testing on the rep gauge, however, during a simulation the gauge resets to 0, after the next flight, it goes back to where it should be, but then seems locked to that place. I have no way to tell if its a display bug, or if the game's not adding rep anymore.

I'd love to have the ability to upgrade the KSC build times by using funds. Is this possible?

Not currently. I've given it some thought and would like to implement it. What do people think a fair price per upgrade is (I haven't played 0.24 much yet so I don't know what a fair price would be). They are currently 250 science per upgrade, so it should be a medium to medium high price (is that like 100,000 funds?, I need your guys' help)

Not sure on costs magico, I haven't played long enough to get a solid feel for average income (the big missions are 150-200k funds though from what I saw; that is the exploratory missions to the different bodies past the Mun and Minmus).

Update on the funkiness I'm getting though; it seems that Kerbals have been experimenting with cloning. Jeb's getting cloned somehow; which opens the possible culprit up to Final Frontier and KSP Renaissance Compilation; as they both affect Kerbals. I *can* recover the craft so long as there are no Kerbals inside. I also get all the science of the recovered craft if (for example) I take out the Kerbal from the craft; have them take all the science from the pod, and then recover the craft from the tracking station (admittedly I have not tested in-flight switching back to the empty pod then recovering). However the Kerbal is still present on EVA (while also showing available for mission in KCT, and I can add them to vessels). I can't make any promises about a logfile anytime soon unless I get called in to work (currently roaming with 100 MB of download / upload capacity). Mind you all this is on x64 and the error log is extensive with EVE (clouds) and many many other NREs.

I was thinking instead of paying the same price for each upgrade point, make the cost for upgrading each of the various items scale based on the current level of the item.

These numbers are examples, the actual times would need to be fine tuned.

For example, VAB Construction Site I (main build)

BT starts at 0.1
Upgrade Cost =
{
10000*BT, BT < 2
20000 + 1000000*((BT-2)/10), BT >= 2
}

So when base build time is less than 2x, cost only increases by 1000 for each point.

Then, costs jump by 10000 per point, so 2.1 costs 30,000, 2.2 40,000, and so on.

This would give players the ability to ramp up a second & third basic construction site quickly, but improving build times beyond that would be more costly.

Obviously the science rate times may need to follow some other formula.

Contract prices seem all over the board right now, so it might do to normalize them a bit too to make these costs seem to make sense, once we get some more "commercial" contracts (launch mapping satellite, launch communications satellite, etc)

I know that when i first pulled out 0.24 without this mod, I quickly had over a million funds with nothing to spend them on.

Edited by westamastaflash

Heres an idea to magico. Have a means of selling outdated parts from your inventory to get some funds back from it ( even at 25-50% rate anything would be nice). Take for example I have a ton of the 1 man pods laying around and I'm now far enough into the tech tree the odds of me using any are almost nil. Would be nice to get a small amount of money back for those since I won't be using them ( and my OCD won't drive me bananas seeing 50+ parts I won't ever use).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.