Thrust KSC Land Speed Challenge

ihtoit

OK, due to people threatening to "come see me" ( ;) ), I've split the scores into FAR and non-FAR. If I put you on the wrong table, please let me know, also if I missed you during the shuffle, let me know :)

That's a nice Challenge you got there. It would be a shame if something were to...happen to it.

OK, due to people threatening to "come see me" ( ;) ), I've split the scores into FAR and non-FAR. If I put you on the wrong table, please let me know, also if I missed you during the shuffle, let me know :)

Thank you, FAR makes it so much easier to reach high speeds, even if braking is harder. Without FAR my max runway speed (without braking) is about 530 m/s, when i was testing FAR yesterday i reached twice that :P Now i just have to find a way to brake :P

Anyway, I have a question about the rules: You say that welding for stability is not ok, but is it ok if i use it for part count? My engine clusters are getting very big, but they are still very stable.

Many prototypes crashed, one managed to hit the control tower about 60% of the way up the tower.

On behalf of pretty much everyone here on the Kerbal forums, may I just nominate this for "yes, it wouldn't be KSP without THIS " Award. :)

My brothers and I liked the idea of this challenge so much, we decided to do something totally new with it. We added a one hour time limit and all attempted it simultaneously. It's like Iron Chef, but for space geeks! We recorded the results and made a little series out of it. I think it's pretty fun, and Will even managed a 11th place finish for the leaderboard in the first episode (191.7 m/s).

Computer issues delayed this episode by a couple of days. But I eventually Kerbaled my way through! Video editors out there, what do you use that's not FCPX? Because FCPX is like . . . really bad.

Anyway! More hilarious Kerbal Versus action! I'm a big fan of this episode, so I hope you guys enjoy!

Are there new records for the leaderboard? Select the spoiler text below to find out! (You should probably just watch the video though. It's funnier that way.)

Will: 264.4 m/s in "Mini-Bus"

Eli: 212.7 m/s in "****mobile"

Zac: 203.8 m/s in "Fast Car"

Edited by ZenithRising

haha! I wanna see that big orange one go! :D

And you shall get your wish sir! Finally, the thrilling conclusion to the first ever multiplayer Kerbal Versus Challenge. I know we had a ton of fun making these videos. If you guys enjoyed watching them, let us know what the next Versus Challenge or other video you'd like to see is!

Oh, and the final leaderboard, for those of you who hate watching to the end, included in spoiler text below:

Will: 264.4 m/s in "Mini-Bus"

Zac: 231.3 m/s in "Fast Car"

Eli: 212.7 m/s in "****mobile"

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was bored today so I also tried some landspeeding. Sorry for revieving this thread by the way :D

This is my third vehicle that I build after some testing. At first I used small SRB'S with just a light weight frame, but it turned out they didnt deliver the needed maximum thrust and acceleration in the given time (my goal was to get the maximum speed at the end of the runway). So I ramped it up a "bit", from 1500 kN with 6 SRB's to this little thing with 6200kN. It made quite the difference.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Although the final image shows something over 1000m/s, I don't count that because it was achieved not on the runway but after I took off from it.

While uploading the pics I also noticed that I had way too much fuel left at the end of the runway, so if I'd start with less, speed would increase a bit again.

EDIT: Oops, I've mistaken this thread with another landspeed challenge thread. Because my vehicle reguarly disintegrates at the end of the run, I guess I'm out of the race. Sorry for the mistake :(

Edited by DepletedUraniumPenetrator

eh, no problem... it'd be interesting to see you stop that thing on the runway tho... :) doable given a small enough fuel load (the smaller load gives a higher initial TWR). Later versions of KSP allow you to adjust the fuel load in the hangar.

• 3 weeks later...