Thrust KSC Land Speed Challenge

ihtoit

yeeeeeah... I'm going to make a new board, for skids rather than wheels.

EDIT: nah, I won't. There's really not much difference between stock landing gear and wheels going by the speeds! I would've thunk that skids on concrete wouldn't last long, though! Just... note the use of rails vs wheels, we'll see how it goes. :)

My latest version seems to have so much thrust it tears the whole craft apart :/ I may have to use the griders instead of the cubic struts, but they are so heavy :(

Edit: I tried girders, still rips apart :( I guess the FL-T100 tanks weren't meant to have more than a mainsail of thrust on them :P

Edited by Michaelo90

Update to my entry. 377 m/s, so I went up a bit on the board. I lost count of what mk it was. I'm including a spectacular crash that had my wife and I laughing our heads off.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I added anchors from Kerbal Attachment System as a jerry rigged arrestment hook. But I'm pretty sure they did nothing.

Edited by Soda Popinski

Working on the theory that there exists no problem which can't be solved by adding more mainsails, presenting the six mainsail-powered Land Speed 7 to retake the crown by a mere 1m/s reaching a completely stock 416m/s

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Re skids rather than wheels, may initial thought was that this was a bit icky, given that the hardest part of the challenge is slowing down rather than reaching speed and assuming skids offered a drag advantage in that regard (plus the whole, at what point is a "car" not a car). That said, I can't quite get a skid craft working in a controllable manner so I'm thinking it brings up as many new design challenges as it solves, leaving the challenge fairly balanced.

Question: What's better than six mainsails?

Ready?

Got your answer?

Did you answer "TWELVE MAINSAILS!"?

Reaching a stock speed of 423m/s the Land Speed 8 with 185 parts is equally capable of melting computers as it is tarmac:

Making the craft file available here as I suspect the concept is further expandable using the tried and tested Kerbal method (aka - add more mainsails) but thanks to the super strong, super lightweight, and super small cubic octagonal strut the part count is getting a little high for my modest computer.

Curses! Think I'm going to have to forgo my beloved mainsail in favour of the superior TWR of 48-7S clusters. Got a 239 part, 36 engine prototype lined up that's hit 470m/s but that's without any braking consideration (it was still doing over 200 when it hit the ocean!)

Well, if i don't care about braking, i can easily hit 500 m/s :) Also, the v6 is ready to break the record again, but until someone beats me, I'll keep trying to get it even faster :)

I don't think i can get much faster than the v6 with 48-7S, so i may try the mainsail again.

Edited by Michaelo90

Hmm, scratch my prototype, adding five pairs of seperatrons and four toggled open ram intakes sufficient only to bring it to a halt 200 metres after the end of the runway adds drag sufficient to bring max speed down to 421. Hmm.

I have changed my design a bit, here is the Dragster v5 440+:

441 m/s :)

I made the engine cluster in the VAB, saved it as a subassembly and loaded it in the SPH, because the symmetry mode in the SPH sucks :P

HOLY!

I knew SOMEBODY would find a use for the 48-7S at some point...

That thing was impressive to look at- though it would melt my computer with that high a part -count...

Question though- why so many cubic struts? If you had a smaller separation between the engine clusters, and between the engines and the driver, you could maintain essentially the same relative Center of Mass with less mass...

- Northstar

HOLY!

I knew SOMEBODY would find a use for the 48-7S at some point...

That thing was impressive to look at- though it would melt my computer with that high a part -count...

Question though- why so many cubic struts? If you had a smaller separation between the engine clusters, and between the engines and the driver, you could maintain essentially the same relative Center of Mass with less mass...

- Northstar

Well, it's almost balancing on the rear struts, so i want the rest of the weight to be as far in front of the engines as possible.

Edit: Here is the center of mass with all tanks empty, default and shortened:

I just noticed that i got the number of engines wrong in the v5, it's 32 per cluster, 64 in total, not 48 like i said. Also, i messed with it a bit more and now i can do 64 engines per cluster without part clipping :D Twice as many engines, probably twice as many explosions when it crashes :P

Edited by Michaelo90

i just did 453Km/h named the dragor.....

now to do it again and screen cap it this time....... which im kinda confused how to....

it has 2 problem, it success rate is not 100%, i need to retry a couple of times to get it as high and not crash.

secondly, im running this game on a AMD laptop(which sucks on lower count threads tasks, otherwise it's really good), and the timer is yellow, which means the physics is not running at 100% speed, i dont know if that adds to the instability, or is that actually making it stable.

post the album name between imgur tags so in your instance you'd use:

*imgur*0gbqB*/imgur* (replacing the asterisk with open/close square brackets

Edit: interesting how much of a difference the FAR drag model makes to the runs.

Any thoughts on making a separate bracket for people playing with FAR? I suspect one group gets an advantage over the other, I'm just not sure which one. With FAR, you need to use aerodynamic parts and a more linear layout, which increases the mass, slowing acceleration. But it also increases the top speed, as I think the terminal velocity is higher with FAR at ground level.