Show off your strutting skills!

theend3r

Since the next update should supposedly lessen the need for struts (a bit) it is time to remember all the heroic deeds the struts have done for us and show off our most strutty creations.

This is my Eve lander being brought into orbit (unfortunately don't have a day picture):

Mt4qi0e.png

Look ma, angled engines!

zP9ie0Y.png

This is what happens when your mothership needs to get to orbit in one piece-you glue rockets to its heatshield. Yes, it did orbit. But just barely.

(Everything above the orange tanks is suspended on a single cubic octogonal strut... plus regular struts. Lots of them.)

Edited by Ravenchant

My struts always end up looking horribly asymmetrical. I wish the second attachment point could be made to snap to angles as well.

Yeah, me too. Or just attach points where struts could be placed and then allow on the fly strutting to strenghten crafts assembled in orbit.

Levelord, that's a really cool design. Looks like a pull design, like the Venture Star from Avatar. Do you have it documented anywhere else in the forums?

Anyway, here's mine. It's not about over strutting, just stability. You can't really see it too well, but surrounding the central truss (girder segments), I have parallel struts mounted to raised girder segments. This is to provide both tensile and compression resistance to keep the ship from wobbling too much while performing maneuvers (heavy ends like the wobble).

0HXtOHP.png

For all the other struts, which are the visible external struts, I used the strut attachment modules from Kerbal Attachment System (KAS). Here's a video of Jebediah placing the struts at 3000% speed.

For anyone interested, here's the complete Mission Report, so far:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64251-Jool-Mission-Discovery-2-A-Space-Oddity-%28updated-2-14-with-better-video%21%29

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.