Stock Warp Drive (Planning Stage)

Comrade Jenkens

Yes the nutter is at it again, this time trying to build a completely stock warp drive. ;)

I'm attempting to design a device that can instantly throw a ship up to a considerable fraction of light speed in a known direction and then decelerate again upon reaching the destination. I know that this sounds impossible but I've heard quite a few people talk about a glitch that can throw their ship out of the system at high speeds and have encountered it myself at least twice. I'm looking for a way to trigger this on purpose.

If you have had an experience with this glitch then it would greatly help if you could say so and state what you think caused it. :)

Now your trying to summon the Hell Kraken, are you serious!? I feel bad for all the Kerbals that are about to die...:P

If you are indeed serious, rag-doll kerbals seem to trigger it somehow, sometimes I can even get it to happen consistently, but I'm not really sure how. Maybe when they hit another part of the ship? But I don't think this is reliable at all, and saving the game my cause save-file corruption.

Edited by RocketPilot573

I had it happen to one of my ships recently. The ship was in an elliptical solar orbit (not an intercept) from Kerbin out to Dres. I was controlling some other Kerbals when one of them strangely ended up classed as "debris" after a rover crash. I switched vessels several times and then switched to the ship in solar orbit; the game slowed and the position numbers started going silly in typical Kraken attack style. There was nothing unusual about the ship so it's possible the crash had confused the game and that set the Kraken off.

You might want to look into the K-drive (Kraken drive, there's a thread around here somewhere).

He's the one who started the kraken drive :)

Also, i've found that weird things can happen if you have a ship somewhere, then leave, go to another ship, timewarp alot, and return to the original ship, glitches may happen

Jenkens invented it. :)
He's the one who started the kraken drive :)

Also, i've found that weird things can happen if you have a ship somewhere, then leave, go to another ship, timewarp alot, and return to the original ship, glitches may happen

Ah, my bad then :P

I've noticed that it happens often with many parts colliding - could it be because they get the same position for a fraction of a second and the game has no idea how to handle it? This should be easy to test by messing with the save file for a ship design - just copy a few things so that you have two or more parts in the same place, and then either decouple them or destroy the part that they are attached to.

Loads of explosions can cause things to accelerate to ridiculous paces, especially clipped decouplers seems to have extreme explosive power, tearing my ships apart and sometimes even causing parts to fly far far away... I have no clue how this would be exploitable though

I've noticed that it happens often with many parts colliding - could it be because they get the same position for a fraction of a second and the game has no idea how to handle it? This should be easy to test by messing with the save file for a ship design - just copy a few things so that you have two or more parts in the same place, and then either decouple them or destroy the part that they are attached to.

Two altered parts, with a crash tolerance of 9999 might yield some interesting results, before attempting with stock parts which may just explode.

I'm being really skeptical about this...

When I tried making an anti gravity drive ppl said I was mad... (well I am a bit :P). But it proved possible in the end. :)

I want to manage this in a similar way to the K-drive aka without having to use EVA of time warp. The method that pnazerknoef suggested seems like a good place to start.

I am sceptical too. I've encountered Hell Kraken couple of times, and every time my ship was torn to pieces. I considered myself lucky if crew capsule survived intact (which happened maybe two times :( ) Maybe you will find a way to replicate necessary conditions for Kraken to strike, but fast spreading cloud of debris is not what i would call successful flight.

I have summoned it recently with this. It's a combo of insanely large ship and physics warp. The thing is supposed to be a ferry to carry my mobile kethane refinery over the seas, since i found it very hard to land it at target kethane reservoir. It's too big :)

GGviuZn.png

All attempts to get it floating ended up in a fireball as i left the runway (yes, the deadly runway slope), but one ended up out of the solar system at insane velocity. It can't be called controlled, but it was debris of the front side as well as one lander can. Warping caused phantom forces at it and it got launched in the 'right' direction.

I don't think that the hell kraken is controllable, but i am working on a kraken cannon (For science!)

And, i almost forgot, water often causes those glitches, although way from controlable: If you manage somehow to sink your pod deep, and then eva, the kerbal will get shot out at insane speeds. Tested this only at about -10 meters, the kerbal got launched to 100 meters +. If you use the exploit with submarines (or any submarine mod) you may be able to launch the kerbal FAR away. Maybe making the kerbal bump into the launched ship?

And, i almost forgot, water often causes those glitches, although way from controlable: If you manage somehow to sink your pod deep, and then eva, the kerbal will get shot out at insane speeds. Tested this only at about -10 meters, the kerbal got launched to 100 meters +. If you use the exploit with submarines (or any submarine mod) you may be able to launch the kerbal FAR away. Maybe making the kerbal bump into the launched ship?

Really? I've been able to get kerbals over 200m below the surface, but they didn't even fly 2meters up

Sorry a bit confused. Whats the difference berween this and the k-drive?

K-Drive exploits the gyro kraken to create phantom acceleration.

The hell kraken can instantly launch your ship to many times Kerbol escape velocity though the bug is a lot rarer. I plan to exploit this bug in a similar way.