Stock Warp Drive (Planning Stage)

Comrade Jenkens

When I tried making an anti gravity drive ppl said I was mad... (well I am a bit :P). But it proved possible in the end. :)

I want to manage this in a similar way to the K-drive aka without having to use EVA of time warp. The method that pnazerknoef suggested seems like a good place to start.

May research set us free, then.

K-drive can accelerate your ship at about 2-8g per "push", warp drive is supposted to instanteniously kick you up to kerbal system escape velocity

I found the kraken drive to accelerate at 18Gs, are your landing legs broken?

Back on topic, has anyone talked about 4x physics warp when a kerbal drops off a ladder and hits the ground, it seems to summon the hell kraken about 5% of the time! maybe with 20 kerbals it would be more like 70% but who knows, that's why we research things.

We could adapt the K-Drive. Once it's in space it can go anywhere. Also, while testing the K-drive I summoned a Hell Kraken while I was entering the atmosphere on a sub-orbital trajectory on kerbin. It broke the K-Drive but the Probe got kicked out of the solar system. Danny 2462 on Youtube should know alot about Krakens and how to summon them...

We could adapt the K-Drive. Once it's in space it can go anywhere. Also, while testing the K-drive I summoned a Hell Kraken while I was entering the atmosphere on a sub-orbital trajectory on kerbin. It broke the K-Drive but the Probe got kicked out of the solar system. Danny 2462 on Youtube should know alot about Krakens and how to summon them...

What was the altitude, it might correspond to the altitude where the K-drive switches into atmospheric mode.

I've done some reasearch and discovered the Krakens that we CAN use for FTl travel.

'Warp Kraken' is a bug that attacks Kerbals exiting spacecraft that have just come out of a high time warp. Upon contact with the surface the bug causes the kerbal to be shot out of the solar system at an insane velocity (possibly exceeding the speed of light) while destroying all spacecraft in the vicinity.

'Kore Kraken' This type of Kraken will only occur when parts somehow manage to come to rest below the surface of the sea of Kerbin. When resumed some parts may not make contact with the ground and can actually float through the ground and towards the core of the planet. When the parts get near enough to the core of the planet, they will gain extreme speeds (about 97.8% of the speed of light) and shoot out towards infinity strangely not actually hitting the far side of Kerbin when they shoot out.

The 'Hell Kraken' is a bug which was discovered during the 0.21 version. It seems to strike when a kerbonaut on EVA hits a celestial body's surface, causing the screen to turn black, with the UI remaining though. The altitude will remain at 2/3Mm which displays as "666,666m". As of version 0.23, the altitude GUI will display "666,666", and will change numbers rapidly like so: "666,666"-"555,555"-"444,444", etc. The gyro ball also disappears, and when returning to the space center, the screen remains black and the game must be manually closed from the desktop. This kraken is particularly dangerous because when encountered on the surface of a planet, it causes all craft in the vicinity to be destroyed, and those left are shot out of Kerbol orbit.

Progress! I have discovered that the K-drive can launch space craft about 1.3 kilometres away in a fraction of a second and instantly stop moving with no massive G-force!

Might have been a fluke but I had my ship in orbit of Jool, one landing leg was fixed in the 'drive position' and as soon as I pushed the other legs in to 'drive position', the engine teleported 1.3km away! Now all I need to do is mount a cockpit on top of a warp drive and try it again :D

Edited by victory143

The K-Drive's G output varies greatly based on design. Mainly position of legs and the pusher plate. I have completed to missions using my variant of the K-drive for transfer, injection, and suicide burns. One to Gilly and one to Moho. Once in orbit around the target world I undock my lander from the Kraken Drive proceed to land then orbit and dock.

A pretty big issue I have with the K-drive is that if I activate it going less than 800 m/s or so my ship will dissasmble violently.

On a side note I hit the mun going 30000 m/s using the k-drive by aiming directly at it.

Have you tried using a magnetic retaining field to focus a narrow beam of gravitons that will, in turn, fold space-time consistent with Weyl tensor dynamics until the space-time curvature becomes infinitely large? Then, all you have to do is produce a singularity...

Have you tried using a magnetic retaining field to focus a narrow beam of gravitons that will, in turn, fold space-time consistent with Weyl tensor dynamics until the space-time curvature becomes infinitely large? Then, all you have to do is produce a singularity...

Don't forget to adjust for cocrane flux in the primary drive coils.

just a thought based on how oddly the k drive performace varies with different configurations... it seems possible that there is a broken lever arm calc like what made the rcs exploit possible. if this is the case the trick to obscene acceleration is to get the acceleration to originate from as close to the center of mass as possible.

if you have watched my sst intergalactic space video, then you have seen possibly the limit of the kraken drive....

My experience is, you need to make an extremely unstable craft, unity physics joints are like rubber bands.... so if you can make your craft unstable but still remain intact then you have a kraken drive.... how I discovered my drive was by my sepatrons to orbit craft always wobbling and then being shot apart, eventually I got fustrated, turned on un-breackable joint (which holds the craft together) and voila, sst-intergalactic space drive....

short term, joints in ksp/the unity engine are rubber bands, stretch them enough force them to come back while maintaining their distance and you have a kraken drive....

So far the two main items of notice are Andrew123's attempted warp drive and Nemrav's sepatron drive.

Andrew123 claimed to have made a drive that can sometimes throw the ship instantly to high speeds across the system though I've been unable to verify the device actually works and advertised. There are however some screenshots in the K-drive thread.

I'm not sure what Nemrav was doing but while playing with sepatrons he managed halfway to the Andromeda Galaxy in a few hours! A video is also on the K-drive thread of this in action. I'm hoping to study this to develop a usable version. :)

Andrew123 claimed to have made a drive that can sometimes throw the ship instantly to high speeds across the system

All you need to do is calculate how unlikely it is that it will do that.

well, I measured it to be 17 minutes...

so far yesterday's research handed me these conclusions :

a : the sepatron drive works by having many many sepatrons clustered into a small space, physics trying to space them apart while something holds them in, its hard to test, as struts seem to work a little too well (there's no give to allow physics to stretch them)...

b : activating the sepatrons makes a really nice frag bomb, when multiplayer comes out, people will pay dearly for destroying my things...

c : sticking legs through sepatrons alone doesn't appear to do anything.

well, my main problem for now is getting this to work with no cheats, because otherwise we might as well use hyperedit. Only then will I work on the problem of control. The footage in my video was actually a second try at the bug. the original I wasn't recording, so I tested it, found the bug, but couldn't exit to space center without reverting the flight.. Then I brought up bandicam and recorded my second launch of the contraption.. Not only did the second time send the probe even faster, but I was able to go to space center without reverting flight. whenever I start up that save, there is a long, straight line in the map view....