How far can you go with 1,000 Kerbucks?

Fairly straightforward challenge: go as far as possible with a vehicle that costs $1,000 or less (Yes, I know in-game costs are arbitrary)

Rules:

1. No mods except MechJeb*
  2. Vehicle must cost $1,000 or less
  3. No debug menu or HyperEdit or any equivalent (obviously)
  4. Exploiting bugs or glitches is not allowed
  5. You must take screenshots/video for your entry to be considered.
  6. You must provide a link for your vehicle so we can verify the price
  7. It's allowed as long as there isn't a rule saying it isn't (but if someone finds a loophole rules may be amended)
  8. No docking or refueling or getting help from a pricey spacecraft

*MechJeb has an in-game cost of 750, ignore it. Don't add it to your total vehicle cost. Only one MechJeb allowed per vehicle (it has a very small battery, exploiting this would be lame). Also, you can't use MechJeb to control the vehicle. You must have a separate pod.

I crashed a tiny probe into the Mun.

How high up you get on the leaderboard is determined by average ÃŽâ€v to get to your target. Also, those who orbit a target get higher leaderboard status than those who crash into it. (Landers get even higher)

Leaderboard:

Edited by mr_yogurt
Making sure docking doesn't happen

Doe's it matter what kind of ship? like could it be a rover a plane etc?

It doesn't matter what vehicle type. It appears that I have a problem when I make challenges: People don't have the assumption that if there isn't a rule against it, then it is allowed. So, if you can somehow take a plane to the mun for less than $1,000, then by all means, do it!

What is your definition of far? Far, as in distance from Kerbin?

Kind of. I thought it was explained, at least implicitly. In the main post I said status on leaderboard was determined by average ÃŽâ€v to target. (from Kerbin)

Edited by mr_yogurt

With a huge amount of luck and a good bit of skill, you can plow a probe into duna with the example craft. But to do that you need to get the launch window exactly and you need to have a perfect trajectory on launch. The problem is that one can't afford a solar panel to keep the craft charged for midway course corrections.

I have goten a probe like that to orbit the sun on a eliptic orbit that is between kerbal orbit and duna orbit. But my lanch window was off.

What is your definition of far? Far, as in distance from Kerbin?

Edit: Nevermind. I just realized your ship is judged on ÃŽâ€v, not distance. :blush:

Also, I know of a tool that can design a ship, optimizing for mass, part count, or cost...

Edited by quietsamurai98

Using your design, the limitation is not fuel or delta-v, but electricity.

As is, I can get it to a 13.3743 x 10.5396 solar orbit, with about 263 m/s delta-v still in the tanks. But... no electric to control, so its just debris.

Add one solar panel (busts the budget, unfortunately) and both Eve and Duna landing are possible, using 2 gravity slings around Kerbin/Mun. Duna landing is crater-class, of course.

DISCLAIMER: This does not qualify as an entry for this challenge. I added a solar panel, cost is now 1230 total.

This is to show what the body of his vehicle is capable of, if the spirit (electric) was not so weak.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by MarvinKitFox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.