mounting Clamp-O-Tron radially?

I recently upgraded to .23 the other day, after skipping from .21, and I noticed today that I cannot mount Clamp-O-Trons radially to the outside of fuel tanks, etc. any more. Has anyone else noticed this? I am about to do a clean install of KSP and see if that resolves the issue. Should I?

I think you should be able to (havent tested this) place a M-1x1 Structural Panel (or 2x2 version for senior docking ports) radially and then mount the docking port on it.

I know that you can use Modular girder adapter for normal docking ports (which I use for the large orange tank providing multiple docking points for ships)

Yeah, I guess I was assuming attaching Sr radially. I don't typically do that so I was assuming you can't. You can mount the Jrs and Regular radially.

I have used the inline clamp but there's nothing special about it. It's more for docking craft and keeping them looking sleek, and less for long term connections. But that's just my play style.

Edited by Claw
removed bad info

There's also the Inline Clamp-O-Tron, though I've never seen folks using it and I don't use it my own self.

I use the inline for my SSTOs; just like the look of it there more than anything else.

As for the regular docking ports, yes they should be mountable radially. I've got several craft using them that way.

-- Steve

Okay, so I'm finally in a position to check this out and fix my own thoughts.

Clamp-O-Tron Jr. - Radially attachable and does not need rotating

Clamp-O-Tron - Radially attachable and does not need rotating

Clamp-O-Tron Sr. - Not directly radially attachable. Can attach to other radial objects with a connection point (such as the plates, struts, attachment point, etc.) Needs to be rotated to match orientation of the connection point when attaching.

Inline Clamp-O-Tron - Strangely enough, this is radially attachable and doesn't need to be rotated (well, except to point the port the way you want).

Clamp-O-Tron Shielded - Works like the Sr. Needs a connection point and needs to be rotated to match orientation.

Edit: To the OP, if you have any mods installed they may have changed the attachment rules in the part files for the ports. Or maybe you're trying to radially attach to something that won't allow.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread! I figured out my problem yesterday. Apparently a mod I installed a few days ago added new docking ports that use the same textures as the stock ones, and I did not notice it! I found the stock ones and they work just like they should! Now to remove that mod!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread! I figured out my problem yesterday. Apparently a mod I installed a few days ago added new docking ports that use the same textures as the stock ones, and I did not notice it! I found the stock ones and they work just like they should! Now to remove that mod!

Non-radially attachable docking ports have their uses, like inside cargo bays, where you don't want the radial attachment and only want it to attach on a node. That extra part is probably using a negligible amount of ram, so keep it around just in case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.