Amphibius Plane Challenge

Airlines in Kerbin don't have service to islands or water bases, Your job is to change that.

The Objective:

Build a Plane that can:

-Takeoff and land on land

-Takeoff and land on water.

RULES:

-It has to carry AT LEAST 4 Kerbals+ the pilot (5 kerbals of capacity)

-Mainly Stock parts (see mods alowed)

-Only jet engines.

-VTOL NOT Alowed.

MODS ALOWED:

-FAR

-B9 Aerospace

-MechJeb

STOCK SCOREBOARD:

1: the_bT: "1" "3" +50+150 x10 : 2000

2: Kappa73: "1" "4" +50+100 x4: 600

3: jmiki8: "1" +50 x6 : 300

4: barrenwaste: "1" +50 x2: 100

5:

MODS SCOREBOARD

1: Fengist: B9 Aerospace, "1" +50 x2 (6 kerbals) 100 points.

2:

3:

4:

5:

Achevements:

1:Amphibious: Land And takeoff the water: +50

2:Around the world!: Circumnavigate Kerbin and land on the coast near KSP: +300

3:Whoa!, an actual airliner!: Build a craft with atleast 50 seats or more: +150

4:I dont use cheaty parts!: Don't use Intakes as floaters: +100

More achevements are going to be added!

Multipliers:

5-6 Kerbals x2

7-10 x4

<10 x6

<50 x10

EDIT: Sorry if bad ortography, its late night and i can't think well.

Edited by gmpd2000
misspelling everywhere

I already built a stock plane that can land on and take off from water horizontally. So it's not impossible, just tricky. It can even run in water at almost 100 m/s and enter/exit water without flying, it just didn't have enough crew capacity to meet this challenge's requirements. I may try to build more spacious version when I return to my PC on weekend.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Kasuha

Well, since I have no need to transport 60+ Kerbals (scoring points aside), mine only hauls 6. Like BT said, the trick is to find parts that don't fall off easily to make the pontoons. You'll see in my video I had that problem. Also, like He said put the pontoons ahead of the center of mass. This allows you to nose up in the water. Took me a bit to figure that one out. And, in my case, if you can't hit the water at 40+ m/s, lots of lift to let you slow down and get back out of the water quickly. In my video you'll notice I use the B9 turbofans with reverse thrust and some air brakes to solve that problem. Anyway, enjoy.

Well, youtube cut off the end of this video, but you get the idea...

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it can do a circumnavigation but at 340m/s I didn't have the patience to find out.

Strider1.png

Edited by Fengist

You said Airlines, I figured they'd need an Airliner...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

TT-P220-17 Griffin II fitted with floats, 825 parts, 63 Seats, 5k or so fuel.

You can make pretty much any decent plane float with enough radial Intakes. They swallow up to 70m/s impact velocity without damage so as long as your plane can make a controlled landing below that your fine. Taking off is a tiny amount trickier, the plane needs to be properly balanced. If you put floats to far behind COM you wont be able to pitch up. This becomes more of a problem with very heavy planes like this one. It can help to bounce the plane up and down a little (pull, push until the plane is forced a bit into the water, then pull as it bounces back up and take off). Beware, if you try to hard you will faceplant into the sea :P

That's all I have found out about seaplanes so far.

For sure bt has an advanced passenger carrier. I decided to go oldschool and make a biplane with a large central float. It has a cockpit, complete with safety parachutes as well as a vip pod for the ultimate in floatplane passenger comfort. The rest of the twelve kerbals can enjoy the sunshine and fresh air and invigorating sea spray as they will be seated in open air harnesses. It's very stable, takes off at around 55 kph and is surprisingly durable. Thanks for the great tip of using airscoops as durable pontoon liners.

Knqvkjl.png

You said Airlines, I figured they'd need an Airliner...

TT-P220-17 Griffin II fitted with floats, 825 parts, 63 Seats, 5k or so fuel.

You can make pretty much any decent plane float with enough radial Intakes. They swallow up to 70m/s impact velocity without damage so as long as your plane can make a controlled landing below that your fine. Taking off is a tiny amount trickier, the plane needs to be properly balanced. If you put floats to far behind COM you wont be able to pitch up. This becomes more of a problem with very heavy planes like this one. It can help to bounce the plane up and down a little (pull, push until the plane is forced a bit into the water, then pull as it bounces back up and take off). Beware, if you try to hard you will faceplant into the sea :P

That's all I have found out about seaplanes so far.

Nice one! you are now Nº1 of the stock scoreboard!

I've been experimenting with hydroplanes, and this is my workhorse among them:

It has 113 parts, and it weighs 21,38 tons fully loaded. It's capable of delivering 25 kerbals, including the pilot. I know it isn't the largest, but I like flying it.

EDIT: And I agree with TimMartland, VTOLs are surely overkill in this challange.

You guys made me think and i removed the vtol category. Now they are not alowed.

Edited by gmpd2000

Here's a floatplane i built a little while ago, kind of a proof of concept, but i figure i might aswell submit it for this challenge. Seats 7 kerbals, no idea if it can circumnavigate or not. Takes off and lands both on land and on water. All stock parts.

Here's a floatplane i built a little while ago, kind of a proof of concept, but i figure i might aswell submit it for this challenge. Seats 7 kerbals, no idea if it can circumnavigate or not. Takes off and lands both on land and on water. All stock parts.

Congratulations, You are 2nd!

You guys made me think and i removed the vtol category. Now they are not alowed.

aw! I was going to come in with the water version of the MiniHuey! :(

Think this, but with pontoons instead of wheels (or even, as well as...!):

1898466_410819835720686_1710073220_o.jpg

I'm thinking of entering a different plane that doesn't use intake floats. It carries "only" 15 people pilot included (900 points I think) Anyways, how about entering twice, will both entries count or only one per player? I don't want to usurp two leader board slots :P

Also I send a PM about something else to you gmpd2000.

I'm thinking of entering a different plane that doesn't use intake floats. It carries "only" 15 people pilot included (900 points I think) Anyways, how about entering twice, will both entries count or only one per player? I don't want to usurp two leader board slots :P

Also I send a PM about something else to you gmpd2000.

I fixed the thing about the PM.

No you can't, its one slot per person, but if you can, submit the craft here anyway!

Grrrr.....I can has water landing. I no can has water take off.

Yay, Success! I shall call it the Dragonfly and it will be a beautiful hunter of the sea and air!

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af248/barrenwaste1/screenshot176_zps217834f5.png

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af248/barrenwaste1/screenshot178_zpsd7fd550a.png

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af248/barrenwaste1/screenshot179_zps74516c57.png

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af248/barrenwaste1/screenshot180_zps91249651.png

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af248/barrenwaste1/screenshot181_zpsc72c2373.png

Oops, I put them as links instead of pics, sorry. They still show the right pics, though, yay!

Edited by barrenwaste

I can see 1 Kerbal in that plane. Shouldn't there be more?

That, or my entry should qualify, too.

it has 1 kerbal but it can carry more than 5. also, sorry for not putting your entry, but your plane doesnt have space for enough kerbals.

• 3 months later...

Hello there

Here is Kertalina hydroplane

For transporting Kerbals or cargo around Kerbin

Both versions + instructions are available in video description.

You will need mod

B9

and in case of cargo version

B9

KAS

Infernal robotics

I hope you will like it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.