Mass Production Challenge

Kerbal Space Center has recently decided to open commercially and have commissioned you to design rockets for mass production. Unfortunately, the people who have set up the factories for mass production were incompetent, and now you are severely limited. You can only produce a rocket with 3 different parts (as many as you wish), plus pod.

The challenge: Create a capable rocket using 3 unique parts, plus pod. You can have as many of each part as you wish, but only 3 different types. (This includes struts and decouplers!) Also, you can have as many pods as you want, as long as they are the same one.

Rules:

1. All stock, except control/info mods (MechJeb, goodspeed, and so on)*
  2. Only 3 unique parts per vehicle
  3. No debug menu, no hyperedit, no 1337 haxoring
  4. No docking with objects in space

*MechJeb does not count as a unique part, and you aren't allowed to use the mechjeb pod. Your factories do not make the MechJeb module. But they are pricey and you can only do one per vehicle. Also, you can't use MechJeb as the control. You have to have a separate pod. Entries using these mods will be in a separate leaderboard.

Status on leaderboard is determined by average ÃŽâ€v to reach target. Assume Landing > Orbit > Crash

Leaderboard (completely stock):

Leaderboard (mostly stock):

MarvinKitFox - Kerbol Escape Trajectory - Minimalist Award

Jasonden - Mun

MarvinKitFox - Orbit

Awards

Minimalist Award: 1 part, plus pod. MarvinKitFox

If you have any suggestions for the challenge, please share! I would like to hear about it. If I like it, it might go into effect.

Also, awards are made up when I see an entry worthy of one. People can create a craft to satisfy an award after one has been made, their craft will get the award also. (unless it is a copy of someone else's)

Edited by mr_yogurt
Fixed major errors in leaderboard

3 rocket parts -- I got that. My only problem, then, is electrical power. I can get anywhere in the Kerbol system, I think, if I had a solar panel in addition to the pod. Any chance of that?

That's not a problem pick a engine that make makes electric when used. It's not like we making a probe that need electric all the time.

That's not a problem pick a engine that make makes electric when used. It's not like we making a probe that need electric all the time.

It's true -- that just means that I can't use the 48-7S: my favorite.

Here's a proof-of-concept entry before I try something harder. To the Mun and back:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My 3 parts were: the LV-T45 engine (decent TWR, vectoring, alternator, not too huge), the pancake tank, and the side-separator.

This is an onion-type design. Instead of yellow cross-feeds, I used the Goodspeed Automatic Fuel Pump to pump fuel around in software instead of hardware. Definitely a pain to keep turning on and off the various power sources (in this case 2 octo2's and MechJeb) in order to not drain power all the time. We could probably solve this by sending a Kerbal, or by using fusebox.

Scott Manley needed to use 3 pods, SRBs, and a engine+tank to land on minmus.

Is using multiple pods legal? Because I beieve I've at least gotten an orbit using the same parts...

Yes, it's legal. I said so in the second paragraph of the main post.

Also, Jasonden, I've added your response to the leaderboard. (I decided to let you get away with using goodspeed. I need to amend the rules so other people know they can do this)

Soo, Im allowed any amount of (stock) parts A, B, and C and D, but D has to be a Pod. Plus I can use exactly one mechjeb?

Sounds like fun!

Query: the Mechjeb *pod* counts as the "mechjeb" part of the equation, right?

mission report following, as soon as i get off my aHs.

Soo, Im allowed any amount of (stock) parts A, B, and C and D, but D has to be a Pod. Plus I can use exactly one mechjeb?

Sounds like fun!

Query: the Mechjeb *pod* counts as the "mechjeb" part of the equation, right?

mission report following, as soon as i get off my aHs.

MechJeb pod is forbidden. Sorry. I'm going to have to update the rules

Sorry but if fuel pipes count as a part, then the godspeed mod, or at least its fuel pumping function, should count as a part, too. The way it is put now it doesn't make sense.

My argument for godspeed not counting as a part is that it's function is completely doable by hand, but it's a pain.

I think I'll separate the leaderboard between completely stock and mostly stock

Edited by mr_yogurt

So, 3 parts, plus a pod, multiplied as many times as you need?

THREE?

Pshaw!

Lets do it with ONE.

Probe to Beta Eridanus, fast track.

Components:

Mechjeb, as requested.

Pod: RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit

Part1: RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster

Part2: Not needed

Part3: Not needed.

Album now contains my second entry too. description a few posts down.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by MarvinKitFox
reference to second entry..

My argument for godspeed not counting as a part is that it's function is completely doable by hand, but it's a pain.

I think I'll separate the leaderboard between completely stock and mostly stock

Good by me. It is skirting things a little bit, but there are multiple ways to do this -- by hand, and TAC fuel balancer is another one.

Pod: RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit

Part1: RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster

Part2: Not needed

Part3: Not needed.

Nice that you've reached escape from Kerbol with just the one part! But how did you maintain directional control -- My experiences with SRB-only rockets usually end up with uncontrollable results (barring fins)

Nice that you've reached escape from Kerbol with just the one part! But how did you maintain directional control -- My experiences with SRB-only rockets usually end up with uncontrollable results (barring fins)

You've got to balance the TWR. Too much, you'll tumble, too little and you'll just topple over.

Ideally you want surface TWR at launch somewhere between 1.5-3. Shoot for 2.75. :)

The probe bodies.

Each and EVERY srb, except for the central supporting pillar, is topped by a probe.

This provides (some) directional control, as well as the badly-needed heatsink to avoid premature detonation.

That, plus mechjeb doing very rapid correctional steering, plus.... about 35 retries. If you get through the first 25 seconds with deviation < 5 degrees, you are good.

My original plan was to use this as just the orbital launcher, put a stonking big fuel tank with a nuke(upside-down) on top, and use *that* as the real space vehicle.. No luck though, even after 6+ hours of retry, tweak, retry, retry, tweak, retry.

You've got to balance the TWR. Too much, you'll tumble, too little and you'll just topple over.

Ideally you want surface TWR at launch somewhere between 1.5-3. Shoot for 2.75. :)

Actually, that thing starts with TWR of 0.97 :)

You are seeing the combined thrust of end-stage-one, plus stage-2-just-ignited, in my first pic.

When that baby materialises on the launchpad, i don't have time to take pictures. If i dont get it "airborne" at exactly the end of the first settling wobble, it just buckles and goes crazy.

The launch sequence is: revert to launch. Instant mechjeb ascent, wait ~0.3 sec for launchpad wobble to complete !one! cycle, then boom. It then sits there for about 2 seconds before TWR >1, and it lifts. But apparently sitting with very little weight allows it to stop its launch wobbles.

Edited by MarvinKitFox

New entry added, same album.

Parts used: Big Orange Tank (*7)

mini engine (*60) for propulsion

same mini engine (*24) for thermal staging.

cubic octagonal microstructures (* gazillion) for engine & cutting torch mountings.

Large probe body for electric.

Method: Launch at TWR of about 1.37

Use fuel from only lower two Oranges, for all engines.

When fuel (almost) depleted, switch on next tank up, and use engines as cutting torches to sever the spent stage.

Repeat.

This puts a vehicle in 75X75 orbit that has TWR of 1.12-3.7, 4900m/s delta-v, and enough electricity for about 135 seconds of active commands.

NOTE that electricity is only switched on when needed, i.e. when the command needs to *change* anything. If electric is then switched off, consumption is nil but motors keep on doing whatever they were last commanded to do :);)

P.S. Why is my rocket stages 3 orange tanks high? Because that is how far you have to separate engines so that their exhaust doesn't impinge on the engine below! The critical distance is about 2.6 orange tanks, in this case.

With full maneuverability, and 41.5 tons of available fuel, i can go anywhere. (MoHo might be tough, think i need another 500m/s or so....)

Edited by MarvinKitFox
explain why so long

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.