The Ladderless Challenge!

I find amazing that wheels can pull vertically; did you put some sort of slime on it?

Not at all. What i have done, is to cramp the weels in a space , where it's suspension state is "down"-state = heavy load. And therefore mutch more grip than in the "up"-state.

• 4 weeks later...
It takes quite some time to build the device and take the pictures. There is much room for improvements.

BTW: KSP seems to have some issues witch multiple part-heavy objects (860 parts in total). I needed about 10 trys, included 3 game-crashes... But at least: Here is the "Kerbolifter" TM. It's an elevator with weels only.

The last two pictures shows you the mechanic behind (in) it. The big "supergrip" weels (4 total, clipped) are for the movement. The small ones are for holding the cabin in position, sort of.

http://imgur.com/a/AJS75

I was just checking on my old challenges and...

this is amazing.

Congrants on making an elevator with wheels. I didn't know this was possible. I'm so happy right now.

:D

By the way, sorry for the bump. I'm curious about what other methods to complete this challenge are possible, as this wonderful design has reignited my imagination. I would particularly love to see a mass-relay... any takers? :)

Claw,

Mass-relays (if I am correct) are upwards-firing rocket engines that a Kerbal may be propelled upwards by, as a result of standing in the exhaust plume. They're a bit overpowered for this challenge, as a whole, but that's the fun of it!

As for "That guy who builds stuff," I'm not entirely sure that you read the objective of the challenge, namely, "Your job is, without ladders of any type, to transport a Kerbal from the ground into the top of a rocket [emphasis added] that is at least four M-Beam 200 I-beams in height." So, no capsules on the bottom. Cantab is correct, though, in that the rocket may start out horizontal and be lifted into a vertical position by some means. This has already been successfully accomplished by Capitan Sierra, on page 2 of this challenge.

Time to bend the rules beyond breaking point. :D

The KAS cables are there just for stability, they serve no function in getting to the top. The tower is rather flimsy.

Jeb standing next to the tower he's about to scale.

screenshot1.png

Jeb has taken his place in the seat next to the command pod.

screenshot2.png

Now comes the really nice part. Leave the seat.

screenshot3.png

POOF Jeb is suddenly standing on top of the tower.

screenshot4.png

Simply jump down to the platform and board the upper pod.

screenshot5.png

Obviously I did not use an actual rocket but as long as you have a command seat at the base and a solid structure directly above it this exploit works. Simply leave the seat and your Kerbal will be placed at the highest point directly above the seat.

Edited by Tex_NL

@ DJWizardCop:

If you want to show your pictures in a post immediatley:

Just write (in your case) "[*imgur]AMELR#0[/imgur]", without spaces and the asteriks. Works for Albums too.

@ UpsilonAearospace:

• Mass-Relays are used in the Mass-Effect video-game to overcome long distances with light-speed.
  • Mass-Drivers are devices, witch accelerate a given object (e.g. small metal cubes), witch have to have magnetic charatisitcs. It was supposed e.g. for the american SDI-project but refused in favour of LASER-beams to destroy enemey (Soviet-Union) sattelites.

Both Methods are impossible within KSP, exept the exploid Tex_NL is using.

What you think of is a "Kerbal-Cannon" mostly pointed upwards.

Let's wait and see whom's desgin is the first, or an other solution.

What you think of is a "Kerbal-Cannon" mostly pointed upwards.

Let's wait and see whom's desgin is the first, or an other solution.

A Kerbal-cannon shooting your Kerbal straight up. Catching him in a funnel attached to an inverted U shaped tube, dropping him on a platform.

This opens up some really interesting possibilities.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.