I'm looking for a bit ...

I'm looking for a bit that doesn't permit fuel flow.

I want to make fuel transport vehicle (tanker) and I want to separate the cargo from the useable fuel. In other words - I want to isolate the cargo so my main engines don't burn through all important payload. I'm trying all sorts of structural parts to separate one fuel tank from the next and I can't find anything that interrupts fuel flow AND permits the attachment of a tank. Hard points seem to stop fuel but they don't permit the attachment of tanks on both ends.

I could use a decoupler but that is a last resort as I just know I'll fire those decouplers by accident and jettison my engines from the main craft. :(

What do you guys use when you want to isolate fuel flow?

Edited by togfox

Before take-off (or even in the SPH/VAB) right click the cargo fuel tank and block fuel flow by clicking the green arrow >.

You can still pump fuel in or out manually but engines won't.

Edited by Tex_NL

Tex_NL's method is really the best, because you can change it mid-flight (e.g., if you screw up a burn, you can use the "cargo" as an emergency reserve by re-enabling the tanks). It's how I do my tankers.

Also, this trick works with any resource. For example, if you have a detachable lander you can disable its battery to keep it from getting drained by the rest of the ship on the planet's night side.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.