Minimal Manned Mars Mission Mentation

Ciber

Didn't see any threads about mars colonization, so thought I'd start one for my pet idea.

The goal of this thread is to come up with a plan for sending people to mars that is as sustainable as possible, as quickly as possible, and as cheaply as possible.

We can start with something similar to Mars Direct, using reasonably short term technologies like the Falcon Heavy Lifter and Dragon Capsule from SpaceX. Math I've seen says we can get about 8 metric tons to martian surface using fully propulsive landing and modified Dragon Capsules. Assume we can send at most say two landers per launch window (about every two years).

Since we want to establish a permanent base and have limited means, it seems to me that it would be far far cheaper to find an astronaut that is willing to live on mars for the rest of their life than it would be to waste a launch on the earth return/ mars ascent vehicle. Not bringing that means we don't need to figure out how to bring several tons of cryogenic hydrogen along with us. Instead for isru water and air we can likely get along with the much slower method of collecting what little water is in the air. Of course for most real industry we will need lots of water, which means either wait a long time and recycle well, or go out and find some ice.

More tomorrow.

"I have an idea that just might work" -Gandalf ,HISHE

My mission would envolve three missions landing on Mars. The first mission would be composed of builders, supplies, and plants. They would land near the poles of Mars near projected Ferrous mineral sites. When they have found a suitable position they would begin building a dome like complex and use it as a hub.

The next mission is more strait forward bringing builders and more supplies. The last mission would bring breeding mothers and fathers to help populate and build a new civilization

Extracting moisture from the air is very simple and low energy, though also very slow. There is a sort of compound that I think had zinc in it or something, it was talked about in the book "The Case For Mars" which I lost a while back. Essentially the energy cost is just a fan blowing air over the sponge, and the energy to heat the water out of the sponge when its full.

@ Everten P.

That plan is not related to the topic that I want to discuss.

To reiterate:

The goal of this thread is to come up with a plan for sending people to mars that is as sustainable as possible, as quickly as possible, and as cheaply as possible.

Edited by Ciber

Ciber, "sustainable" means keeping them alive. Just dumping them on the Martian surface without the means to stay alive, which your idea comes down to, is not sustainable. It's idiotic.

Unless of course you've some kind of North Korean or Chinese mindset where human life doesn't count, only the being able to blast press releases about your great achievement of sending humans to Mars.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.