Helicopter height and distance challenge.

Greetings all.

I watched a video from chicken keeper from about 6 months ago about KSP helicopters and i just had to have a go.

So i challenged myself to set height and distance records. To try to get higher, faster and further...

Here is the video with my results... I hope everyone enjoys. Feel free to leave comments and suggestions and as always constructive criticism.

I'm attempting to beat my own records with my own new designs.

EDIT:

Basically, to set height and/or distance traveled records with a helicopter made with a bearing from stock parts. I don't think their is a bearing part that comes with ksp yet so you'd have to build a bearing with stock parts.

My records in the vid are...

Height: 1221m

Highest speed over land: 175m/s (probably while crashing)

Ground distance covered: 13,808m

Total distance traveled: 15,798m

Edited by Comwarrior

well, yes i'm challenging myself...but doesn't mean that someone else can't have a go too...

Basically, to set height and/or distance traveled records with a helicopter made with a bearing from stock parts. I don't think their is a bearing part that comes with ksp yet so you'd have to build a bearing with stock parts.

My records in the vid are...

Height: 1221m

Highest speed over land: 175m/s (probably while crashing)

Ground distance covered: 13,808m

Total distance traveled: 15,798m

Edited by Comwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm... well, I did hit a controlled descent from 7600m with a Kethane mining rig at 181.4m/s, after a straight-line journey on bearing 021 averaging 124m/s for 399 surface km (57 minutes flight time so factor in planetary rotation and you could probably double that for total distance covered - sorry, didn't get an F3 shot but below is a shot of the aircraft in situ drilling kethane) just this morning. Had 101l fuel left as well.

1617864_419634061505930_2135449509_o.jpg

(mods used: Kethane, KAS, KWRocketry, Firespitter, B9, MechJeb, RemoteTech)

• 2 weeks later...

First off, nice job Aphobius.

I'll just make an entry with this old thing. It is a practical heavy lift helicopter. Unlike the post above this by ihtoit, no mod parts were used.

3076 m altitude

62.8 km from KSP

As you can see, I had plenty of fuel to go futher, but I got bored. It flies more slowly than a slug.

JnKnubc.jpg

The little distance indicator there is at KSP on the other side of the mountain range. I accidentally exited the flight after landing so I lost the F3 screen info.

hAyttwo.png

And the download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/scfpgat6ocw1n32/Heavy%20Helicopter.craft

(or the thread if you want more details http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55393-Stock-Helicopter )

Edited by VincentLaw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.