[0.90WIP] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em 0.9.21, Dec 19

swamp_ig

Would you prefer decouplers to:  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer decouplers to:

• Closely as possible follow stock behaviour
    • Have a sensible relation between size, decoupler force, and mass

0.9.5 switched to needs RealismOverhaul for the diameters, but RealismOverhaul isn't a plugin so it doesn't do anything. I suggest you just change it back to RealFuels since it's a safe assumption people with RealFuels also have RO.

If you really want 1m snaps, just edit the MM config and remove the AFTER[RealismOverhaul] bit

I have tested this a lot. No bugs found. Except when parts in contact with the surface and/or water, but this is, how I understand, the long known issue.

Edited by Rioliki

If you really want 1m snaps, just edit the MM config and remove the AFTER[RealismOverhaul] bit

I did that already, was just pointing it out in case you weren't aware of it.

RO is about to be a plugin

But then again, it won't matter it seems.

I have tested this a lot. No bugs found. Except when parts in contact with the surface and/or water, but this is, how I understand, the long known issue.

Thanks heaps for testing.

How do you mean?

SRB issue found, quickly went through the others' issues and didn't find so posted. #45

Edit: known bug ? oh well

Edited by Mokmo

SRB issue found, quickly went through the others' issues and didn't find so posted. #45

Edit: known bug ? oh well

It's in the known issues section of the OP :cool:

I don't know if this has been reported, but the behavior of the mixed/liquidfuel/oxidizer mechanic is a bit buggy. If I change a tank from mixed to liquid fuel, the tank would then hold as much liquid fuel as the mixed tank of equivalent size, when it should hold MORE liquid fuel than the mixed tanks.

If anyone is interested in doing a bit of testing for me, there's a pre-release of heat shields for deadly reentry, as developed by OtherBarry.

I've also been working on some other code to do with attachments which could do with some testing.

Just follow the link to the github page and it'll tell you what to do.

Hm, it seems that procedural decouplers allow fuel crossfeed - or at least appear to. KER shows increased DV for first stage after I add procedural fuel on bottom stages...

Another observation: the latest FAR release feels rather unkind to the procedural parts. If you put any strain on those procedural tanks (too high TWR or angling too fast during ascent), they fall apart like a house of cards.

Edited by Mipe

Then how do you explain first stage deltaV doubling when I add another procedural fuel tank below procedural decoupler? I'm using the experimental KER release.

When I launched, I noticed the bottom stage was drawing fuel from first stage. I had to manually disable first stage fuel and fill it back up mid-ascent.

This doesn't happen with stock decouplers.

Another observation: the latest FAR release feels rather unkind to the procedural parts. If you put any strain on those procedural tanks (too high TWR or angling too fast during ascent), they fall apart like a house of cards.

Haven't noticed anything.

Edited by Azimech

In the FAR 0.13.2 release, ferram added this feature:

Aerodynamically-induced structural failures will now be applied. Beware of high dynamic pressure

And, well, procedural parts don't seem to have much of stiffness compared to stock parts. Then again I am using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement as well, could it be missing those procedural parts? In any case, they feel really fragile. If I build a rocket out of stock parts, it feels more stable when doing slight gravity turn adjustments. Do the same with procedural parts, it falls apart.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something...?

Then how do you explain first stage deltaV doubling when I add another procedural fuel tank below procedural decoupler? I'm using the experimental KER release.

When I launched, I noticed the bottom stage was drawing fuel from first stage. I had to manually disable first stage fuel and fill it back up mid-ascent.

This doesn't happen with stock decouplers.

Screenshot of that, please! Also, craft would be great.

How strange... I loaded the same craft I had the issue with and this time there was no fuel feeding from top stage... so I can't reproduce the issue. I've re-tested with different setups, no krakens. Just a fluke then?

I noticed I could place the procedural decouplers a little higher on the LV-909 (a little bit higher from where it should be), perhaps I did that and the engine was touching the next part? But then it doesn't allow placing any parts below that (tried it just now). Maybe it glitched out back then, allowing me to place the procedural fuel tank beneath the misplaced decoupler in a way it was still in contact with the engine?

Well, anyway, that's that - I'll write it off to a fluke. Sorry about that.

And since I have to break this pictureless post streak, a screenshot of Jeb during one of his favorite moments:

iS2uwE3.png

Just a little bit past mach 1, did a little bit too forceful gravity turn. With stock parts, the same rocket would just do a flip and then carry on at lowered speed. Just a few procedural tanks stacked on top of each other here.

Edited by Mipe

Just a little bit past mach 1, did a little bit too forceful gravity turn. With stock parts, the same rocket would just do a flip and then carry on at lowered speed. Just a few procedural tanks stacked on top of each other here.

I'm pretty sure if the resistance is strong enough to flip your rocket, it should also break apart. Maybe it's related to the fact that one Procedural part often replaces multiple tanks, meaning that the drag 'focuses' on a single part.

Loving this mod!

The single best mod I have downloaded thus far!

I do hope that in the future this gets coupled with the procedural fairings mod...its a great mod but could stand to do with some improvements. New textures, shapes, procedural bases, colors, etc would be great. Right now the 5M limit is...well, limiting.

I do hope that in the future this gets coupled with the procedural fairings mod...its a great mod but could stand to do with some improvements. New textures, shapes, procedural bases, colors, etc would be great. Right now the 5M limit is...well, limiting.

I doubt we'll end up merging with procedural fairings, at least not in the foreseeable future. Procedural bases would be fantastic, and I'll have to loook into how PF works, but it should be somewhat doable. Blackheart612 has some nice textures, shapes and bases, as well as some great textures for this mod which would answer a few of your requests.

Procedural docking ports would be phenomenal. Heck, I just want procedural everything!

As long as it works with the current shapes that we have, anything is doable. Ask and you shall receive, but probably not for a few weeks, as I have exams.

Hm. Procedural cargo bays probably are out of the question, but what about solar panels and girders? Think those initial 1x6 or 2x3 solar panels and just add panels/segments to the Gigantor size and even beyond, scaling the power output with it. As for girders, you'd just need one long procedural girder for those RCS thrusters and panels for the space station - save on the part count and ensure less wobbliness!

Just a thought. Those should be doable with current parts as base - just repeat them.

As long as it works with the current shapes that we have, anything is doable. Ask and you shall receive, but probably not for a few weeks, as I have exams.

If you do get around to this, please make sure that the procedural docking port can be used as the first part in a craft (needed for subassembly). Right now the big port can't be used as the first part of a craft, but the smaller ones can...I don't really understand that.

If while you're at it you crafted a procedural reaction wheel I would no longer have any reason to have novapunch installed...just saying. lol

I cannot express how great this mod is, and I love the potential!