Where do you think the asteroid belt is going to be?

IrRedemption

Watch this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/254-Squadcast

It should answer most of the questions :)

Oh ffffff.....

I have to watch 49 mins of this? *sigh* I hope Harv remembered what he's supposed to be talking about this time.

My thoughts coming away from the video is that there will be multiple asteroids scattered throughout the Kerbol system, rather than concentrated into a belt. I could have misunderstood it though.

This actually sounds reasonable, but... I guess we'll see...

It's less "scattered around the system" and more "flicked in Kerbin's direction".

The system as described in the video will randomly spawn a single asteroid somewhere near Kerbin (unsure if inside the SoI or outside), aim it roughly towards the planet, and give it a shove. The result is that the asteroid tumbles past Kerbin in a random trajectory. This may in very rare cases lead to collision courses, yes. And maybe once in a blue moon an asteroid will auto-capture itself into some form of orbit that lasts a small while before a close pass by one of the moons ejects it again. Most of the time though I'll wager you'll be scrambling to try and intercept an asteroid passing through somewhere between Mun and Minmus on a highly inclined, very fast hyperbolic trajectory.

Interesting will be to see what happens with asteroids you don't capture. Since the game will keep spawning more over time, you might end up with quite a lot of them in a solar orbit intersecting Kerbin's. Play long enough, and you'd have something like an asteroid belt that is enveloping Kerbin, not Dres! :P

Dres was intended to be the analogue for Ceres or originally.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it was around the area of Dres, maybe stretching as far down to Duna, but unfortunately, if the asteroids use the same of rail system as parts, squad will need to improve on the problem with floating point number problems, as they would cause the asteroids to teleport under the influence of time acceleration.

• 1 month later...

Yup, but those jets are extremely sparse, so they won't make much more impact on your craft than flying through Kerbin atmo at 60km. But indeed the effect should be present.

Btw, any space entusiast MUST read Arthur C. Clarke's works. Just the kind of fiction I love. Got lots of ideas for ksp from him as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.