How to get a kerbal to step over the top of a ladder?

This has been bugging me since ive started playing the game, but until now ive just never really NEEDED it. I need a kerbal to climb up a ladder and get into a command seat at the top of the tank. But when he gets to the top of the ladder he falls off. Whats the trick?

Can't you r-click on the chair while still on the ladder to board?

Regardless, the trick to get on top of things with ladders is to use the small ladders piece and put them on an angle at the edge. Your kerbal should climb over, and fall off the end onto the surface... then just stand up.

If the char is too far away for bsalis' advice to work - the thing you need to do is turn the ladder 45 degrees by holding the shift key and turning it. Then clip half of it through the surface so it basically allows the kerbal to walk off the existing ladder onto this one.

Honestly I wish they'd call it a bug and fix it.

What i do is, at the top of your ladder where your Kerbal seems to let go and begin to fall, place just the small ladder steps (Pegasus I Mobility Enhancer) and holding shift and the "wasd" keys rotate it so that it it at a 45 degree angle on the corner of the edge in question. That way, your Kerbal will climb up, then when he switches to the small ladder steps he will climb at an angle and let go on top of the ledge.

Here is an example:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

What Moonmoon says is correct. Using those little ladders can help. They aren't perfect, though, and you'll want to test the design on Kerbin before you ever launch it into space. That break-over point from climbing vertically to standing on a horizontal surface has stranded many a Kerman.

• 1 year later...

Honestly I wish they'd call it a bug and fix it.

I honestly dont know how its not a bug...i mean whats the point in ladders if you cant use them to climb on top of things? hopefully this will be a none issue in 1.0 when kerbal clamber is introduced

The 45 degree ladder piece is the way I usually do it, the other way is to angle the extension ladder itself as shown here. Look at the 2nd ladder down, not the one that goes to the capsule but the one that goes to the top of that FL-T100 tank-- a few degrees of tilt was enough to let the Kerbal scramble to the top of the tank. Use the rotational gizmos in the VAB or SPH to rotate ladders and ALWAYS test before you leave Kerbin.

Note that this will supposedly be fixed in V1: Kerbals will have the ability to "scramble" over obstacles, hopefully this will include the tops of ladders.

GDkr431.png

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is interested, this worked really well for me:

DYTTaIn.png

The battery masks the ugly aesthetics of ladders floating in midair, plus I like the look given by its safety stripes.  The adapter is weldable into a single part module, and the ladder still seems to function correctly after welding.  You'll need to use SHIFT, C and some fine-tuning and testing to get the ladders in just the right position to work well.  Here's a craft file if you want to save some time:

http://tinyurl.com/kerballadderadapter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.