The Behemoth Munlander

Duban

I present to you the Behemoth Munlander, built using the default kit.

Behemoth7.jpg

Yes, I winced when i put 3x the necessary decouplers below the tri-stack coupler too. The tri-stack is just too useful for stable landings. See pics.

The next thing you might notice is what the ship does not have, RCS. The balanced design and solid structure means there is virtually no instability in the craft. The command pod alone is enough to maneuver the entire ship, albeit slowly.

The Behemoth launch system, initial stage, has 24 LV-T30s and 100 fuel tanks. It\'s almost capable of leaving kerbin on a straight trajectory, without orbiting, on its own. The munlander can leave a sizable structure on the Mun while the deorbiter can make a safe return to Kerbin.

Munlander on the moon:

Behemoth1.jpg

Behemoth2.jpg

Return to Kerbin:

Leaving the munlander

Behemoth3.jpg

Escaping Mun

Behemoth4.jpg

Decellerating

Behemoth5.jpg

Safe landing

Behemoth6.jpg

I added the ship as an attachment. I recommend decellerating slightly once you reach 1000m/s to maintain stability. I usually take that decelleration as an opportunity to enter orbit.

Also, If there\'s one thing I learned from this it\'s 'always land on the light side of the Mun'. You\'re guarenteed to crash if you can\'t see what\'s below you.

Excellent design, wouldn\'t have thought of the tri-coupler for landing. Does it break off easily?

I\'ve only broken a landing leg once, and it was to a combination of a high slope and personal error. The fact that it\'s soo heavy for 1 engine gives the craft very fine control and makes for more precise landings than smaller craft.

Also, here is my hexalauncher that I just completed. It uses the same lander design only with 6 legs. The new launcher has more fuel for landings and the extra weight means I can manage landings of less than 1 m/s. The six sided design with tri-couplers can even land on sloped surfaces. It\'s excellent.

Picture album.

http://imgur.com/a/oKzxW

Craft itself.

http://www./file/13ghi0v9dn0u8s9/Hexalauncher.craft

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.