All versions special

They've previously said they had plans to release a "Collector's Edition" of KSP, which would include all past versions, at some point, likely after v1.0 is released. Other than that, all I can see for something like this is more server woes for Squad as everyone scrambles to download older versions to see what it used to be like on Christmas Day.

There was a thread floating around here that collected all of the free version of the game.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to set something like that up with a purchase-verification system. Hell, even putting a bit on our sigs that flags whether we're paid or free, and then let us as a community circulate the tapes amongst ourselves.

That thread's in General Discussion, probably floating around on page 2 or 3 or thereabouts.

No, letting the community freely circulate paid versions of KSP, old or not, will only encourage piracy, I think. It's not as if the devs focus on obliterating it, but blatantly encouraging it they probably will avoid...

I still have the .zips of many of the previous versions, but they're really more of a novelty. Play for a few minutes just to remember what it was like, but any more than that and you start missing all the features that have been added, and mod support is awful.

By christmas you mean the holiday season right?

Ahh, whatever with he politically correct stuff.

I think that they should just offer a christmas pack or an easter egg pack or something that is special that you can add to the game..

The collector's pack sounds too bulky and useless. I'd like to get like a free kerbalizer or dlc or something.

there was a thread floating around here that collected all of the free version of the game.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to set something like that up with a purchase-verification system. Hell, even putting a bit on our sigs that flags whether we're paid or free, and then let us as a community circulate the tapes amongst ourselves.

do support dat idea!!!!!!!

Edited by Pockrtplanesairways
No reaction images

That thread's in General Discussion, probably floating around on page 2 or 3 or thereabouts.

No, letting the community freely circulate paid versions of KSP, old or not, will only encourage piracy, I think. It's not as if the devs focus on obliterating it, but blatantly encouraging it they probably will avoid...

Uh...huh.... Encourage piracy....

If I, the developer, make earlier versions of my own game freely avaliable for download, how the hell am I'm encouraging piracy OF MY OWN PRODUCT?

And, people will pirate whatever product tey want, regardless of your so called incentive or not.

Worst. White knighting. Attempt. Ever.

Edited by MR4Y

If I, the developer, make earlier versions of my own game freely avaliable for download, how the hell am I'm encouraging piracy OF MY OWN PRODUCT?

And, people will pirate whatever product tey want, regardless of your so called incentive or not.

inb4lock

Pretty sure it was meant in the vein of "if the devs gave the community past paid version for free, they would inevitably leak out". Thereby encouraging maybe not piracy in the legal sense, but people not paying for the product. And that's badTM.

inb4lock

Pretty sure it was meant in the vein of "if the devs gave the community past paid version for free, they would inevitably leak out". Thereby encouraging maybe not piracy in the legal sense, but people not paying for the product. And that's badTM.

But only people who already paid for KSP would get it. It's just like getting free updates.

Which is what my idea deftly avoids. The devs do nothing except putting in verification as to whether a forum member has the paid version. Then, that thread becomes 'you want version X, note this guy. If you're paid up, he'll send you a link.'

Which is what my idea deftly avoids. The devs do nothing except putting in verification as to whether a forum member has the paid version. Then, that thread becomes 'you want version X, note this guy. If you're paid up, he'll send you a link.'

Yep, sorry. It seems I misunderstood that tape circulation analogy.

However, that creates another problem. To do that, you'll have to do something akin to a DRM.

If you encourage the paid comunity to share versions off this game with eachother, how long do you think it'll take before someone shares it with his friend who hasn't bought the game?

Probably about as long as it takes to download said free version.

And in case you forgot, sharing paid software without the developer getting paid for it is sortoff the definition of piracy

If you encourage the paid comunity to share versions off this game with eachother, how long do you think it'll take before someone shares it with his friend who hasn't bought the game?

And in case you forgot, sharing paid software without the developer getting paid for it is sortoff the definition of piracy

...And that time's not going to magically decrease if we can see who's paid or not.

However, that creates another problem. To do that, you'll have to do something akin to a DRM.

Why?

How is seeing 'Paid player' underneath our usernames DRM?

What? How is that piracy? it is no more piratical than the fact there are torrents GALORE that have KSP (i just can't figure them out.)

How is that piracy? Please, Explain.

But I still want KSP 0.16 and 0.17 too. I have bought the game.

I think the main point of this thread has been answered: the idea of a collector's edition with all versions of KSP is floating around at Squad. Most of the free versions of KSP can be found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24858-Old-versions-of-KSP-%28some-versions-still-wanted!%29

The rest of the thread is scraping the edges of the forum rules at best and doesn't really serve any purpose anymore considering the main topic has been addressed. Thread closed :)