This Game is costing me $740....

pslytely psycho

Wow. Thanks! The FX 6350 benchmarks even better, and it's only $10 more!

Of course....now I'll need a better motherboard, $30 more....Oh well, Only live once (unless your Jeb, Bob or Bill....:confused::cool::huh:)

Thanks again, for making my build better! With the better CPU and motherboard, it still came in (with shipping) $1.92 under my $800 maximum.

Thanks!

Look at the time axis of the graphs, 6350 is slower than the i3 3250.

If it's primarily for KSP, I wouldn't be worrying too much about that RAM.

I have 16GB, of which KSP uses roughly 20% max. So irritating when I have out of memory crashes. 32bit nonsense...

The ram is for everything else (And I'll add more later as I can afford it) It is also in the hope of stable 64bit Unity one day....

Electric heat in the winter, AC in the summer. Deep Freeze, 2 computers 24 hrs a day both with 32" HDMI screens one 47" 3D tv runs about 14 hrs a day (Except now that's my monitor, my wife had knee surgury yesterday and will be in rehab 3 weeks.)

Wasteful, perhaps, but Heaters Make the worst hit. In the summer it drops to around $50, and yes I meant 8.9 cents.

Only Wyoming and Idaho are less expensive for electricity. Hydroelectric is wonderful.

Ah yeah that's quite a bit of stuff. Also more than 1 person explains a lot :) Don't care about the waste (hey it's cheap and makes life better. USE IT) was just wondering how you managed to burn that much ^^

Look at the time axis of the graphs, 6350 is slower than the i3 3250.

Yeah, but it's the best AMD chip on that list. And price puts it a handful of dollars over my max for this build.

No matter what, a big boost over my poor majorly abused laptop (Which actually has done a good job with KSP, Skyrim, Grid, Grid II, GTA IV, Civ V, Black Ops I and TW Rome I)

You guys have been a great resource to me in this. Thank you.

It's easy to ignore when you have the third cheapest electricity in the country. Coupled with moderate climate that rarely drops below 25 and rarely exceeds 90.

Not to mention beautiful mountains, lakes and rivers. And those mountains, the Cascades protected us from the polar vortex tha froze the rest of the country. We got none of it. And the storms we did get weren't as cold as they came up through California and not from the Artic.

Just upgraded my comp, but not specifically for KSP. I did it because my last animation render in Blender took two months of running 24/7 to render a three minute animation. I went from an AMD quadcore to an AMD FX 8350 Black Edition octocore (4Ghz/core), bumped up the RAM from 8gb DDR3 1600 to 16gb DDR3 1866, new mobo, and swapped out an HD7970 for a GTX 780ti. Now that I can set Blender to use Nvidia's CUDA instructions, my rendering time has dropped roughly 20%, depending on the scene.

Now, if KSP could just get 64-bit support...

Just upgraded my comp, but not specifically for KSP. I did it because my last animation render in Blender took two months of running 24/7 to render a three minute animation. I went from an AMD quadcore to an AMD FX 8350 Black Edition octocore (4Ghz/core), bumped up the RAM from 8gb DDR3 1600 to 16gb DDR3 1866, new mobo, and swapped out an HD7970 for a GTX 780ti. Now that I can set Blender to use Nvidia's CUDA instructions, my rendering time has dropped roughly 20%, depending on the scene.

Yes, you did the Honor Harrington ship videos. I just watched and commented on your videos on another thread. Amazing work on one of my all time favorite book series.

How on earth do you manage to spend 62 dollars on 0.089 CENTS per kWh electricity? In a one bedroom appartment!? That's tickling 70 MEGAWATT-hour per month! Even if you meant 0,089 dollar (so 8,9 cents) that's still 700 kWh per month. Which is doable I suppose, but still very high for a one-bedroom appartment IMO. I average around 10 kWh per day in a two bedroom apartment with electric water heating, A/C, a big fridge and ofcourse my computer. I just don't get it :P

Then again I have a bit more incentive to be frugal since electricity here runs around $0.35-.40 per kWh

I imagine half of it is made of random fees and taxes

The ram is for everything else (And I'll add more later as I can afford it) It is also in the hope of stable 64bit Unity one day....

If you're ever going to want more RAM, buy it now. When new, faster RAM comes out, the older stuff gets SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. Personally, I wouldn't build a machine nowadays with less than 16GB.

Friday I am ordering the parts to build a computer with KSP in mind. 4GHz Quad core chip, Radon 260X GDDR3 2G, liquid cooling, 8G RAM (for now).

It actually (Heavily modded) has a watchable framerate to about 400 parts and is a slideshow past 600.

I hope this will give me a watchable framerate to 1000 parts. Since it is so hevily CPU dependent I can skimp a bit on the graphics card. Although it is still a huge improvement over my current setup of a 2.2 GHz Quad core and a HD7400M 512 MB card in my Acer Aspire notebook.

Of course the computer will inherit the 32" LG HDTV I currently use for a monitor.

It is my birthday present to myself......and Jeb and the boys.:huh::cool::confused:

With shipping it el cheapo, it's gonna be a looooong week and a half......

can you give the exact spec list?

Considering my 700 part interplanetary research ship slows down to about 2 fps.....15 would be WONDERFUL!

Keep in mind my orbiter has ~340 parts including the docked ships. I've never had something that large in orbit but I bet I'd be in the single digits for fps. Lets hope we see some optimizations soon.

I just recently ordered an Asus G750 laptop so I can get my ksp fix on the go!

Will get here Monday. 3.4ghz i7, 8gb ram, Nvidia GtX 765M. Can't wait to see if this will outperform my desktop or not.

I'm going to say that when I was working on my computer, I was playing some Planetside 2 and was aiming for good graphics on that (Spent a bunch, too!). Turns out, I pretty much use it for KSP now.

One thing to keep in mind: Windows (If you're running windows) will allow you to replace everything without having to re-register/re-purchase it. EXCEPT! And this is crucial. Except the motherboard.

If you upgrade the motherboard, you'll have to purchase Windows again. So make sure you get one that will last you a while. Video cards, hard drives, RAM, etc can all be replaced and are just a click away from Windows being perfectly happy with them.

Oh, and read the ratings comments for things. It can help things a lot - My graphics card has a HUGE rear end that gets REALLY close to some of the RAM cards, so I had to make sure to put the RAM in first. Simple things, but it can save a bit of frustration over you're going in blind.

Except the motherboard.

If you upgrade the motherboard, you'll have to purchase Windows again.

Not true, you will have to make an annoying phone call, but you can replace your mb and still use your current windows key.

Except the motherboard.

If you upgrade the motherboard, you'll have to purchase Windows again.

Not true, you will have to make an annoying phone call, but you can replace your mb and still use your current windows key.

Octocore? Nice. What do you use it most for, gaming? Video editing? Multimedia?

Windows licence specifies that it's only for replacing a defective/broken one, so they're not obligated to give it to you.

Regardless, replacing the motherboard is still the most PITA thing to do when replacing things. Take EVERYTHING out, put EVERYTHING back in. It's a LOT riskier than replacing an individual component, so I'll still sit in the "Get a good mobo first" chair.

How is this even remotely true? Is windows not stored on your hard drive, oblivious to hardware swaps?

Edited by SkyHook

That's a bit like saying 'why does your GPU affect framerate? doesn't the game live on the harddrive, oblivious to the rest of the hardware?

Yes, but you do you have to reinstall your games because you got a new graphics card?

Friday I am ordering the parts to build a computer with KSP in mind. 4GHz Quad core chip, Radon 260X GDDR3 2G, liquid cooling, 8G RAM (for now).

Sure go with a negative headline rather then

"Kerbal Space Program got me an amazing new computer"

:P

Octocore? Nice. What do you use it most for, gaming? Video editing? Multimedia?

This: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52429-What-kind-of-Hardware-do-you-use-to-run-KSP?p=1007310&viewfull=1#post1007310

And gaming. My Skyrim install has over 200 mods, mostly graphics-type. If it weren't for the need for somewhat quicker Blender rendering, I probably wouldn't have bothered upgrading.

TBH, I'm not even sure the extra cores are helping with rendering, because in the Blender control panel, I have CUDA selected, rather than CPU. I ran a render that on my old rig took about 40 minutes (using the CPU - AMD doesn't have a CUDA-equivalent that Blender can use). With the new Nvidia card installed, and Blender set to use the CUDA cores on my GTX, the same scene only took about 32 minutes - roughly a 20% reduction in render time. I ought to set Blender to use the CPU and see if doing it that way is any faster. Too bad there's no option to use *both*. I suppose the faster RAM helped as well, but probably not by much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.