Now that I've built this, what should I do with it...

Project Pluto

After learning how to build a thrust plate (thanks to:

), and having a bit of a dull evening, I've managed to create this - 55 mainsails, onion staged

9LVc9Ro.png

It launches well.

5NaAxMW.png

Reaches 1900m/s at 70000 km altitude.

pxU3h9V.png

And 7000m/s at 740km altitude at fuel-out.

N8AsolS.png

I call it "The Flower":

OpPobKp.png.

How would I go about attaching massive payloads to this? I must be able to shoot a multitude of orange tanks on a direct ascent to, what, Dres?

Sorry if this should be in "Questions", but it's not really a technical question, more of a discussion on what to do with massive things!

Attach Gigantors to each of those beams, so that the solar panels project above and below the plane of the 'Flower'. Presto - one orbital solar power plant. No good for anything other than roleplaying of course.

Attach Gigantors to each of those beams, so that the solar panels project above and below the plane of the 'Flower'. Presto - one orbital solar power plant. No good for anything other than roleplaying of course.

Actually it's a good idea...for KSP Interstellar users :D We do have uses for solar power plants. So, if OP would be so kind to post this file, i would be grateful.

So, if OP would be so kind to post this file, i would be grateful.

Not sure how to post files. Advice and I'll happily do so! Although there are some issues with your plans! The "flower" wobbles upon flame out quite drastically!

yQEkInH.png

Edited by Project Pluto

I'm not entirely sure how those orange tanks aren't striking each other and exploding. They're clipping ever so slightly.

I actually experience a different type of clipping. This is the only photo I have, but it happens occasionally with no payload strapped on top. The decouplers sometimes clip through the square plate. No problem until separation time. They then don't fully separate and, due to the sepratrons, dance around throwing the whole thing into disarray. I'm thinking of either inverting the decouplers (I know, you carry the extra weight, but small price to pay), or adding stack separators between for redundancy sake.

I'll test soon...

This was an older design (hence the slight differences in layout), but it happens with the "new improved" design as well.

YW1fEyV.png

Edited by Project Pluto

You can calculate it yourself, though it might be a bit tricky with the staging. TWR at least is easy. Thrust is 55 x 1500 kN. Weight is 9.8 x mass. Mass you can get by sitting it on the pad then going into the tracking station, selecting the rocket, and clicking the i icon on the right.

Only approximately by looking at the G meter on launch or timing (by the MET clock) how long it takes to ascend a certain distance (e.g. 100m) and working out the acceleration (should be fairly constant over the first short distance) from that...

Alternatively just install KER and load the vessel in the VAB and attach the build engineer part for a screenshot and then remove KER again if you want to stay stock...

Edit: Duh! Yeah you could do that too, he did say how many engines it had...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.