Updated to KSP .23 8 MegaPixel Kerbin map image.

Pds314

Hello, today I realized I wanted a high-resolution map of Kerbin in a single image, so I tried to find one and I realized that none of them are up to date.

So I tried to see if there was a tool to let me download one from KerbalMaps.com. There may well be, but I haven't found it.

So I then tried downloading each 256*256 image at the desired zoom level to try to piece them together in GIMP, when after about 30 images, I realized that I still needed to download nearly 100 more...

So finally I went for going to the desired zoom level and taking 6 seperate 1080p photos, then zooming to the desired level and stitching the images together in GIMP and getting rid of the background and UI.

GXLlgpl.jpg

Enjoy.

Thank you for what you have done. It must have been quite tedious. :confused:

I like the result. Kerbin hase a nice set of surface features. It would be great if there are a bit more deserts at the equator and jungles!

Edit:

@Pds314

Is there a way to make 5760x1200 (3* 1920x1200) wallpaper out of it? It obviously needs a rework of the colors as they are a bit bright.

Edited by *Aqua*

Thank you for what you have done. It must have been quite tedious. :confused:

I like the result. Kerbin hase a nice set of surface features. It would be great if there are a bit more deserts at the equator and jungles!

Edit:

@Pds314

Is there a way to make 5760x1200 (3* 1920x1200) wallpaper out of it? It obviously needs a rework of the colors as they are a bit bright.

I can't really see how you'd avoid cutting off part of it or stretching it, and you might want a larger (wider) image because this one is only 4096 by 2048.

But yeah. This technique works up to any zoom.

Is this a Mercator style map?

Jk who cares, nicely done xD

No. It is equarectangular. I can post a Mercator or most any other projection if you like. Mercator is the one that is tall and things on a small scale are the right shape. This one makes things near the poles wider but normal height.

Basically Mercator says: "In equarectangular, the poles are really too wide, let's fix it by making them too tall as well!"

Ok, to be fair, The Mercator projection makes things look realistic when zoomed in. Equarectangular does not.

Edited by Pds314

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.