i think IONs are ok, they do what they are supposed to do very well... but i played career mode only, and i never actually used them for anything as super light ships looks useless to me (i could be wrong)

I think that an arrey version of ION could be beneficial, something like a 5 ions in 1 solution:

PB-ION Arrey

small sized ION engine with 2.5kN trust, 1.25t mass, Isp around 4000, 65 e/s, TWR still 0.2, xenon 0.625 x/s

It will look like 4 ions in a square pattern + one in the middle, all insulated in a yellow colored circular smooth cover.

It will have the same trust, mass and TWR of 5 ions.

It will have a lower Isp and a bit more xenon consumption (0.025x/s more), but a really good energy efficiency using only 64,989 e/s instead of 72.21 e/s of 5 single ions, making us save the 4th gigantor solar and lots of struts, girders, adapters to place 5 ions in place, saving precious tons in this compact solution.

This prototipe could also allow to make ions a really more viable engine for light ship in addition to ultra light

small sized ION engine with 2.5kN trust, 1.25t mass, Isp around 4000, 65 e/s, TWR still 0.2, xenon 0.625 x/s

The specs you've given produce a TWR of 2, not 0.2. To keep it at 0.2 you'd have to increase mass, reduce thrust, or both.

Edit: This is not right at all.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
I need coffee.

The specs you've given produce a TWR of 2, not 0.2. To keep it at 0.2 you'd have to increase mass, reduce thrust, or both.

I just multiplied the ion value by 5...

Trust weight rateo= trust / (mass * G)

for ions = 0.5 / (0.25 * 9.81) = 0.5 / 2.4525 = 0.2038

for arrey = 2.5 / (1.25 * 9.81) = 2.5 / 12.2625 = 0.2038

it's the same... or i'm doing something wrong?

Good news is that apparently the ion is getting a boost in the NASA ARM update.

Yep, I heard this too in the Twitch talk last night. For those who think the Ion engines are too boring... the devs agree.

I'd like it so NERVA's actually use nuclear fuel, and also there was a nuclear generator in the game (for generating electricity by using a fuel).

+1 for space nuclear reactors, though to make them interesting I'd think there would need to be more power hungry components, and a waste heat dynamic.

Regarding fuel for the LV-N, I don't think it's really very necessary. The NERVA 2 was expected to be good for close to a hundred restarts before neutron poisons accumulated to the point that the reactor would need to be replaced. In KSP terms that is dozens of missions for a single vehicle. Practically speaking a lot of other parts on your atomic rocket will need to be replaced before then. Ditto for RTGs. Plutonium 238 has a ninety year half life, solar panels degrade much faster than that. A typical solar panel may loose half of its power generation capacity in 15 years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.