H-O-R-S-E Challenge Game: Rebirth

Alright! I got this one..

I'm not sure how to score myself because liftoff occurred somewhere 824.5 and 880.0. Maybe 850 is reasonable?

Well, you definatly won this one. Didn't even think of using downforce; well done. I don't think there could be much higher speeds attainable than what you got.

Whats your challenge?

Edited by kahlzun

The challenge is: Rocket Science 101. You must achieve an orbital velocity of at least 101km/s. Yes, that's kilometers. MechJeb, KER, and similar mods are allowed for information provided they don't control your ship. Besides that, stock only no cheats and haxoring. I don't have time to upload pictures right now, but I'll do it later today. During my attempt, I got >105km/s with a creative bi-elliptical transfer to make a low sun pass and a 30min burn at Pe. I was still going 51km/s by the time I passed Eelo's orbit!

Yes, he has won by 2,2km/s

Oh, sweet. I can't be bothered to think about a challenge right now. So lets do the jiggly tank challenge that was proposed. Can take the earlier two entries as the proof of possibility.

Challenge desribed here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72048-H-O-R-S-E-Challenge-Game-Rebirth?p=1017519&viewfull=1#post1017519

Do this one without FAR since it radically alters the delta v needed to get into orbit.

If noone has beat 12 tanks within 24 houers. I will post another challenge.

Edited by cyberklad

Here's my go at Rocket Science 101. I achieved an orbital velocity of 105.3km/s.

rfOQXd6.png

Launch! My ship has about 21km/s of dV.

P5iAvec.png

I made it to LKO with almost enough fuel for escape remaining in that mainsail.

Ba3FIMl.png

I'm combining a bi-elliptical transfer with a powered gravity assist from Jool.

j9ucgW5.png

It didn't take very much dV to lower my solar Pe thanks to Jool.

b0PfyWh.png

Half-way through my Pe burn, still under 101km/s but I have 15min to go until out of fuel.

pItSsYd.png

Engine shutdown! Mission accomplished.

6jx94Be.png

Still going like a bat out of hell past Eelo.

ok, having beaten the last challenge, heres one of my own: Manned pod to Minmus, landing solely under ion power.

No EAS-1 chairs, kerb has to be in a pod.

Proof of concept:

In VAB

2SFfeYr.png

Transferring

AMSZQ6P.png

Decleration burn complete, coasting

nodifs0.png

Braking burn

tVSL5Qa.png

Landed

YRB8BsV.png

ok, having beaten the last challenge, heres one of my own: Manned pod to Minmus, landing solely under ion power.

No EAS-1 chairs, kerb has to be in a pod.

Proof of concept:

In VAB

http://i.imgur.com/2SFfeYr.png

Transferring

http://i.imgur.com/AMSZQ6P.png

Decleration burn complete, coasting

http://i.imgur.com/nodifs0.png

Braking burn

http://i.imgur.com/tVSL5Qa.png

Landed

http://i.imgur.com/YRB8BsV.png

SO doing this!

Done! Images incoming...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

That is the single slowest descent I have EVER done. Landing was a little sketchy as the only torque was that in the pod and I landed on a slight incline, but fortunately I was going so slowly that there were no real dramas!

Edited by OTehNoes

Well, I thought I'd have time to work on this but I guess I'm too slow.

I figured I'd post it anyway. Here's the Donut challenge. I think I hit all the rules.

Has no structural parts or struts.

Has one SAS under the probe pod.

No tanks clip inside each other

Nothing is in between the tank stack.

No cheats, no mods.

Stock parts.

Engines are on bottom.

Fewest tanks I can manage: 2.

No other fuel tanks.

Not much of a slinky though. :P

Edited by Claw

Thankyou for your donut submission, Claw.

That is by far the smallest rocket submitted, however it is not a SSTO, as it loses the jet engine & intake. It is still an impressive achievement!

Congratulations on your ion landing, OhTehNoes. You now have the right to post a 'stunt' for the rest of us to attempt! What is your challenge?

I was going for the same approach after I noticed that the slinky challenge was infact the least fueltanks (i was going for the most... stupid me)

I was going to use 4 tanks, 1 of them only liquid fuel and 3 fuel + oxidizer and below them a rapier engine. I never even bothered to see if it would work.

That is by far the smallest rocket submitted, however it is not a SSTO, as it loses the jet engine & intake. It is still an impressive achievement!

Congratulations on your ion landing, OhTehNoes. You now have the right to post a 'stunt' for the rest of us to attempt! What is your challenge?

Oh sorry, I didn't see that it had to be an SSTO.

Here's version 2 (first four pictures). Same album, so the non SSTO version is the last four pictures. Still took too much oxy with me. :)

Edited by Claw

I was going for the same approach after I noticed that the slinky challenge was infact the least fueltanks (i was going for the most... stupid me)

I was going to use 4 tanks, 1 of them only liquid fuel and 3 fuel + oxidizer and below them a rapier engine. I never even bothered to see if it would work.

Haha, yeah. 2 tanks isn't much of a slinky. Seems like you could squeeze out two challenges. One for least number of donuts, and one for the most number of donuts.

mmmmmm, donuts.... :D

My doughnut craft ended up looking so much like something that a very frustrated scientist came up with (with the only intention of compensating for something) that I ended up adding spherical RCS tanks to its base and an RCS thruster to the top cone. The thing was majestic as it wobbled around in air above KSC. The RCS thruster exhaust jet really was the cherry on top of this... abomination.

Edited by Othuyeg

My doughnut craft ended up looking so much like something that a very frustrated scientist came up with (with the only intention of compensating for something) that I ended up adding spherical RCS tanks to its base and an RCS thruster to the top cone. The thing was majestic as it wobbled around in air above KSC. The RCS thruster exhaust jet really was the cherry on top of this... abomination.

You can't seriously expect to create something like that and not show us. We need pictures of your phallistic missile!

Okay... I believe this craft may be banned under the rules as the rules say "No sexually suggestive pictures"

So... If you want to see the video, you have to find the place where I hide all of my streams.

edit: seems like the stream is having problems uploading so it might take a while.

edit 2: if you want to see it, search for something Totally inappropriate and shameful in my highlights.

Edited by Othuyeg

Okay! Your challenge is to deliver a Kerbal to LKO with a rocket with no more than 3 stages, and preferably no larger than mine! (And preferably not just duplicating my design!)

...with the Kerbal holding onto the rocket (yes rocket, no air breathers) the whole time by a ladder on the outside of the rocket. The Kerbal can only be secured to your rocket by a ladder.

Proof of concept:

Edited by OTehNoes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.