Kethane on the water

SpacedCowboy

A couple of weeks ago, someone was displaying their Kethane drilling rig, (platform that floats on the surface of the water). They were having a buoyancy issue as to how the platform floated on the surface. Recently, I had a re-entry go bad. (and yeah, Jeb died again) The only thing that survived was an empty kethane tank which hilariously bounced up into the air hundreds of meters, 3 or 4 times! (Felt like I was watching a danny video). Anyways, the light bulb went on, and thought, "Hey, I can make a great floating platform utilizing empty kethane tanks! So I went about constructing a kethane drilling rig powered by 4 turbo jets, testing it out in the water just north of the launch pad several times. I must have had two or three hours invested in the making. So I send it on it's maiden voyage to a pre-mapped kethane site several kilometers due south of the KSC, splashed down almost perfectly using the turbos and chutes, deployed the drills.,.,., and nothing! The platform sat about 2 or 3 meters above the surface, with the converter, tank and drills almost submerged. Everything was working but it didn't work! Whats the deal here?

The drills must make physical contact with the seabed below, in order to extract the Kethane. I've read a number of theories about trying to get the drills to sink to the bottom, while attached by a winch, but I have never seen a single video or screenshot of Kethane being mined from underwater. As far as I can tell, Kethane deposits underwater are inaccessible.

Boy, now I feel like a total idiot! The thought did cross my mind that the kethane might be down in the sea bed but, with a land drill the bit merely scratched the surface and your'e getting kethane, so I didn't think the mod would be THAT realistic. After all, let's not forget this same mod has that KE-WAITNONOSTOP Kerbal blender! Regardless, thank you for providing the link. It was quite the education. I was most impressed and inspired with Seanth's "Water Strider".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.