What style do you want the SLS parts to be?

Comrade Jenkens

What stlye do you want the NASA parts to be?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What stlye do you want the NASA parts to be?

• Complete NASA replicas
    • Kerbal style which simply fill the same niche
    • A mix of the two

I know that this is a null point as the parts are most likely already made but I was wondering what style people would like to see the parts to be? Do you want them to be exact replicas of NASA parts of a kerbal styled equivalent?

Personally I would like them to match the other parts in style so that they can be mixed and matched in other creations.

They should be recognisably their prototypes, and ALSO look not out-of-place compared to the existing parts.

Of course, the existing parts vary somewhat in appearance. Compare the Rockomax engines to the LV ones for example, or the small and large solid boosters.

I think just making them stock-like SLS analogues would be fine. After all that's pretty much what the two stock capsules are compared to Mercury and the Apollo command module. Of course no matter which way they go it shouldn't be too awfully hard for someone to either reskin or tweak them into new parts for a mod-pack.

Stock-alike versions of the real "parts" would be great, if they come in either 3.75m or 5m size. The main reason I don't use part packs is the clashing between their art styles and that of the stock game... entirely realistic design would make the rest of the parts look primitive in comparison.

If you apply the usual scaling factor used in KSP, then the parts come out at something just over 5 meters... therefore the 5 meter size class seems likely. What intrigues me most is whether or not we'll see stock parts in the 3.75m "gap" as well.

If you apply the usual scaling factor used in KSP, then the parts come out at something just over 5 meters... therefore the 5 meter size class seems likely. What intrigues me most is whether or not we'll see stock parts in the 3.75m "gap" as well.

Also consider that you don't need nearly as much juice to get into LKO as is the case with LEO, meaning that SLS analogue parts could, I would argue, be comfortably scaled down even further to 3.75m.

A nice blend between Kerbal style and Human style would be awesome.

Like, serious parts, but a bit patched* up as well

I agree, fairly nice-looking SLS parts with only a scuff here and a dent there. Transporting them from Earth to Kerbin couldn't have been too easy, could it? :P

There probably will be, considering that the Orion itself would be around 3.75m after rescaling. After all it doesn't attach directly to that huge first stage.

Arguably it's not a gap. If the new parts are 5m, then each size is twice the one below.

Indeed, on thought 3.75m parts might sit a bit awkwardly. You couldn't cluster 2.5m ones below them, though 1.25m parts would go fine.

Indeed, on thought 3.75m parts might sit a bit awkwardly. You couldn't cluster 2.5m ones below them, though 1.25m parts would go fine.

Well a cluster of 9 LV-45s would make for a good Falcon-9 first stage replica.

NASA-like please. Hopefully it would signal a move away from the crappy stock look.

Yeah, they can slap NASA decals on it if they want, as long as they add the capability of replacing them with our own decals.

Yeah... Not happening, I know.

I quite like the stock look and style, and I hope they shy away from any more real-world references (I see you, "ISS" & "MIR" written on the lab module). This is a fantasy game about little green men and their space program, not a historical recreation.

IMO the problem is that the current KSP parts don't have a style. Some parts are steampunk boiler plate, all rivets and bolts. Others are more industrial and some closer to real life nasa parts. So I'd like to see these new parts set the standard of what KSP parts are going to look like from now on, with an aim to eventually update the current parts to follow the design ethic.

For me that would be cleaner lines, vertical rather than horizontal ridges with a colour pallet of white, grey and black with some orange in there for shuttle style tanks. More like NASA, but without the logos (being able to select and attach your own logos like we can with flags would be brilliant!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.