A 64-bit KSP might be closer than we think(or at least Squad is working on it)

Albert VDS

Linux can read and write to a Windows NTFS filesystem, but Windows can't even recognise Linux filesystems (usually EXT4 these days). If you've set up a dual-boot you'll be able to copy anything still on your Windows partition over to your Linux one (but not vice versa).

There are utilities that make Windows able to use ext filesystems directly, like this.

So would it be reasonably easy and change things for the better to boot Linux from USB-drive simply to play KSP, are there more advantages than 4GB+ RAM usage?

Apart from running Better System ? :-) Honestly, no. There is bad bug in Unity for linux with mouse being oversensitive. It's "only" annoying in-flight, but damning in VAB and SPH.

Only thing I can think of where you'd be better off with linux is multihead. I'm using two displays for years now and Windows still feel like stone age.

Only thing I can think of where you'd be better off with linux is multihead. I'm using two displays for years now and Windows still feel like stone age.

Windows handles multiple monitors just fine, in my experience. What advantage does Linux offer in this regard?

Apart from running Better System ? :-) Honestly, no. There is bad bug in Unity for linux with mouse being oversensitive. It's "only" annoying in-flight, but damning in VAB and SPH.

Does this bug always happen? As there are quiet a number of players using Linux ...

Sure. Probably not needed in this case though, as it sounds like he's not keeping his elderly XP install around.

No no, the XP on my netbook is gone, it was only the anecdote introducing my file system question. ;)

Should I try out playing KSP under Linux it would be by using in alongside my Win7 desktop.

Windows handles multiple monitors just fine, in my experience. What advantage does Linux offer in this regard?

Well, everything really. AFAIK Windows can set resolution and set one display as primary. That's it. Windows 98 could do as much, and only improvement I could find in win7 are some "dualhead" wallpapers.

For example, I have KSP set up in windowed mode of same size as display, and window manager is configured to make it borderless, positioned at center of second display. This gives me "fullscreen" game without locking mouse inside. Real story here is dedicated process that manages desktop and, among other things, can enforce positioning and size (and much more) on any window. While this is useful in general, I'm sure you can see how this is incredibly handy on dualhead.

Windows programs handle their windows themselves and it shows - some can remeber their position, some can even correctly handle maximized state, most of them not. Some can't tell maximized from fullscreen and have problems with focus stealing. Some work great, other can't stand such gross transgression as panel on top of screen instead of bottom. It's a mess.

To compare with my example, KSP on Windows is ilustration on how to make dualhead most painful experience possible. It starts in center of "desktop" to get all advantages of being cut in half, but is not smart enough to actually span over all that space. If it just picked one screen at random, it would have at least 50% chance to get it right. Even if wrong, it would be clearly visible and not broken in halves. But no, its better to make you move it by hand every ****ing time, right?

Does this bug always happen? As there are quiet a number of players using Linux ...

From what I gathered on Linux thread, not always but its widespread problem. Both of my linux machines suffer from it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.