Lowest Kerbol orbit

witeken

Guest Flixxbeatz

Mind trying your challenges first? ::)

Oh, and I once got to the point that my velocity is zero at the apoapsis, and my periapsis is already inside Kerbol (which means I\'m literally 'falling' into Kerbol. Got no screenshot though, my hard drive just got nuked that time

Tried this with .cfg edits a while ago, got into an orbit with something like 10,000m radius? Once you get really close in the speeds and accelerations are enough to wobble your ship around and (sometimes) tear it apart, making additional maneuvering impossible.

Mind trying your challenges first? ::)

Oh, and I once got to the point that my velocity is zero at the apoapsis, and my periapsis is already inside Kerbol (which means I\'m literally 'falling' into Kerbol. Got no screenshot though, my hard drive just got nuked that time

It\'s a perfectly legitimate challenge. Anybody can get into an elliptical orbit around Kerbol with a tiny periapsis, but getting a low circular orbit is something else again.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the Kraken only inhabits the outer orbitals, down here is pretty quiet.

You need to go deeper.

6787588418_1d0b2615ee_z.jpg

After some calculations, I made this orbit. It\'s NovaSilisko\'s Fire star. You don\'t know how hard it is to maneuver down there.

You need to go deeper.

-image-

After some calculations, I made this orbit. It\'s NovaSilisko\'s Fire star. You don\'t know how hard it is to maneuver down there.

Yeah, got down to 2700M on a second try, my ship started to get a little reluctant to spin around... I need to add a lot more dV if I\'m going down further, the speeds down there get insane.

Did I mention my ship is stock only? ???

I always enjoy these as practice towards eventually visiting other worlds.

Stock only. I slapped a single engine on my 48-tank refueling station for the final stage - that gave me over 50 minutes worth of thrust after the first three stages had gotten me to orbit...

The ship on the pad:

IYxq1.png

Ditching 42 drop tanks, 6 left plus the 'RCS stage' that I used for getting it a little more circular:

f7npu.png

Final orbit:

qB67N.png

B7piZ.png

jB2qF.png

Stock only. I slapped a single engine on my 48-tank refueling station for the final stage - that gave me over 50 minutes worth of thrust after the first three stages had gotten me to orbit...

The ship on the pad:

IYxq1.png

Ditching 42 drop tanks, 6 left plus the 'RCS stage' that I used for getting it a little more circular:

f7npu.png

Final orbit:

qB67N.png

B7piZ.png

jB2qF.png

Wow... If I add another stage to my craft (which I should), it will still be half of yours. I don\'t think even my computer can handle that many LFTs :\'(

Congratulations, not sure if we can go much lower than that stock only...

The ship on the pad:

IYxq1.png

f7npu.png

Final orbit:

qB67N.png

B7piZ.png

jB2qF.png

Good god man, you win this game.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.