Okay, Squad. Put a "1" down on your kill sheet!

Whackjob

My mind asplode. Those do indeed look like the connectors I saw on the drives! They didn't look like they could be removed, but I wasn't really looking for something like that. I will reexamine tonight. If there's actual sata connectors under, that'd save me a lot of time and trouble! Thank you for the information!

No problem. They're designed to sit flush on there, and you might never notice that the end piece comes off. I've torn apart and rebuilt a few laptops over the years, and ran across this when I wanted to transfer someone's data from a crashed system.

No problem. They're designed to sit flush on there, and you might never notice that the end piece comes off. I've torn apart and rebuilt a few laptops over the years, and ran across this when I wanted to transfer someone's data from a crashed system.

And your prediction was 100% correct! Tiny little things. Needed the aid of tweezers to pry them off, but the standard connectors are definitely in there! So the hard drive connection issue is resolved. I'm down to just needing memory and a docking adapter or whatever so I can bolt those laptop drives into the new machine. I could just lay 'em in there... but eh. Might as well do it correctly. That, memory, and I think I'll splurge on a cheap DVD drive to slap in also. But, today is Whackpay day! Ordering parts even now!

Parts ordered. Paid a little extra for next day shipping. It's quite possible I'll still have to wait for monday. But monday is the start of my two-day weekend with my workweek anyway.

Soon! Krakenbane help me, I'll be home again SOON!

#EDIT: Darn it. Forgotten I needed a pair of 120mm fans for the case. Added those. We're good. Quite sure there's nothing else I've forgotten. Hopefully.

#EDIT2: I has teh happi! Not long now. Nope, not long now. The boredom will finally go away and leave me in peace.

happy-weird-cat2.jpg

Exhibit A. Teh happi I has

Edited by Whackjob

Primary SSD has Windows 8 on it from the old machine. I think what I'll do is boot in safe mode with networking, yank down Ubuntu, and install. Full whack and reload. If that doesn't pan out, I still have my old windows 7 disc plus key in a drawer. Just enough to get up and get some flavor of linux going.

Primary SSD has Windows 8 on it from the old machine. I think what I'll do is boot in safe mode with networking, yank down Ubuntu, and install.

This may not work due to the large difference in hardware base. Windows installs some hardware-specific drivers as it sets itself up, and while swapping out the video card is easy and even the CPU can be upgraded fine in most cases, something like swapping the mainboard (especially when going from a mobile to a desktop platform) is likely to make it throw a fit.

Of course, trying's free... :P

Grr. Paid for next day shipping. Two of the three items I ordered haven't shipped yet. More than a day later. Which unfortunately includes the memory I need most of all.

Must patience. Soon.

This may not work due to the large difference in hardware base. Windows installs some hardware-specific drivers as it sets itself up, and while swapping out the video card is easy and even the CPU can be upgraded fine in most cases, something like swapping the mainboard (especially when going from a mobile to a desktop platform) is likely to make it throw a fit.

Of course, trying's free... :P

I tried that once. Windows tried to fix itself ("Found new hardware, installing drivers") and was soon unable to read any of the drives (hard or optical) as it tried switching IDE drivers. OTOH, another time I tried it on a different machine it was able to reconfigure itself.

Yesterday, I ordered the last three things I needed to get up and running. Even shelled out a few extra bucks for next day air shipping in exchange for having a few ramen only days later on down the pipe. Let's check the order status from Tigerdirect and see how that's going, shall we?

ORDER STATUS

S35-3034 SILVERSTONE FP55B 5.25 to 3.5/2.5 in.Bay Converter

P33-9801 Patriot Signature DDR3 8GB 1333MHz DIMM Kit

LQR-101777441 LG 24X SATA DVDRW 24X SATA OEM GH24NSB0B

Note that the most crucial of all items isn't even in a box yet. Next day air isn't next day air if the drop shippers are in a coma! Grrrr.

The poor fools!

lulz3.jpg

They have no idea how long my arm is.

Checked in again today. Those two items? Still haven't shipped. Sent my angry email I alluded to above. Waiting on response. Was hoping to be up and running this weekend. Nope. Gonna have to wait because drop shippers don't understand what next-day-air means.

The thing I like about Tigerdirect. Just about every other time I order something, the stuff gets here before their timetable says it will. The one time that their drop shipper failed on me (see above), I send them an angry email. And the result?

Thank you for your email.

We do apologize for the inconvenience it caused you.

Upon checking, the only item that was delivered to you is the LG 24X SATA DVDRW 24X SATA OEM. The 2 items will be coming from our third party vendor. From here, we will request for the eta of the item and will notify you as soon as we have an update coming from them. Since items will not be delivered to you on time, we will provide you the partial shipping refund for the items that was not delivered to you on time. In the event that you already received these items, please let us know so we may process the refund.

For further assistance, please free to call us at 1-800-800-8300.

Thank you very much.

And you know what? I'm 100% fine with this. I like this company.

Doing the mental legwork, I'm guessing my stuff will arrive Tuesday. They're not going to ship today, and I doubt they'll do it Sunday, so if they ship monday and next-day-air it, maybe tuesday.

So most of my work "weekend" will still be shot and without the internets. Sigh.

At least you're getting it soon.

Here's how my mind works: Tuesday. That's 48 hours away. I could probably build and test two Arkingthaad style tower landers in that time!

I appreciate it. Can't see it, office computer and that's blocked, but when I'm up and running again on my own power, I will take a look. :)

Checked the status of my order again. Remaining two crucial parts? Still not shipped. Kind of figured that. Probably tomorrow when I can't check for it.

I keep telling myself... patience...